Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Winter project - oil pan gasket (and while I am in there...)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Winter project - oil pan gasket (and while I am in there...)

I will be having the oil pan gasket replaced this winter. I am thinking while in there I will do the new bearings fitted and maybe a two piece crossover.

Looking to do this PITA project only once, so while we are in there what would you suggest be done from a maintenance/upgrade perspective?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:52 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fergus whasup...The bearings might be a good idea, maybe I've been lucky but I usually just check the #2 rod and decide from there. With out some work to the crank, a bearing swap would seem like small gain for cost of bearings. Some other trivia...I'd sure want to get a good look at those AOS seals. But that means a turbo pull. And, it would be good to know the motor mounts are ok. Maybe before you start, pressurize the coolant to know there are not leaks. Get on line with McMaster and order up series of m6 and m8 bolts they have pretty gold, grade 10 ones for cheap.
Bruce
PS...what recipe are you using to seal the gasket - everybody seems to have a different preference?
Old 11-24-2012, 12:19 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I recommend resealing the lower balance shaft housing and inspeting (or just replacing, its not that expensive) the pickup tube.
Old 11-24-2012, 06:48 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

+1 for bearings and pickup tube.

Are you doing it in the car? That's one job I will never do again. Spend the extra time to pull the engine.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
+1 for bearings and pickup tube.

Are you doing it in the car? That's one job I will never do again. Spend the extra time to pull the engine.
All of that. The bearings aren't that expensive, neither is the pick-up tube... and anything to prevent you needing to go back in there anytime soon is worth it.

And, I will definitely agree that pulling the engine is the way to go... I've done it both ways now, and it's immeasurably easier with the engine out. Plus, that'll give you the chance to get to things like AOS o-rings, balance shaft housings, RMS, oil cooler housing... everything much much much easier. And, as an added bonus, it gives you the opportunity to CLEAN everything thoroughly. Having everything clean and leak-free will make anything and everything you do in the future suck way less.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:31 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 piece cross member, makes this a simple job next time around
Old 11-24-2012, 11:43 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping to pull my engine this winter to reseal, so I hope I can benefit from your recent experience!
Old 12-25-2012, 10:50 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Anyone have specs for the skirt around the pickup tube?
from the top of the bowl if you will -- how wide is the skirt.
Want to add one to mine. Is the pickup aluminum or steel (for welding purposes)?

mike

Quick Reply: Winter project - oil pan gasket (and while I am in there...)