Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

UHAUL Auto Transport Porsche 951 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UHAUL Auto Transport Porsche 951 Help!

Hey Guys,

So I finally decided to pick up that 1986 Porsche 944 about 430KMs from where I live. I rented a UHAUL Auto Tranport and a UHAUL Pick up Truck (F-150).

This wil be my first time towing so I am a newbie at this. I believe the F-150 should have no problems with the Auto-Transport Weight + the Porsche 951 Weight since UHAUL permitted the reservation. (Can anyone confirm this pls :P)

In addition, I've ready through different threads that some people back up the 951 and some drive it forward onto the auto transport. According to UHAUL, I should drive it forward since the engine is in front and it will reduce risk of wipping effects. My concern with this is loading the car onto the trailer and scractching the front bumper. Any suggestions?

Same thing for when I actually harness the car on the trailer with the tire straps. Any chance that the car might collide a little onto the front grill during the trip? I want to avoid all scratches to the car!

All your help is appreciated. Thank you all in advance <3
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

I used pcs of wood to load mine. Place at beginning of ramp. Drive/pushed/pull it up. Remember after driving a while to retightening wheel straps. Have a safe trip.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:18 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

The 50/50 balance of the 944 means you should be able to load it either way. Pulling onto the trailer is much easier, though.

If you're concerned about scraping the lower bumper, have a spotter watch out while. Parking the truck & trailer on a downhill grade makes loading the car much easier (much easier on the clutch).

Most of the Uhaul trailers I've seen have a stop at the front edge. You'll want to make sure the tires are up against this to minimize the car rocking back and forth. Make sure to take the car out of gear but set the parking brake after you've strapped it down.

Take your time and you should be fine.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got you covered bro!

I JUST DID THIS... but with a silverado. They should have given you the biggest car hauler UHaul makes.

You need either an 8 or 10ft 2x8. You then need to cut 2x 18'' pieces. Those got into the 'valley's at the front, or your car will RUB/crash nose first when loaded on the trailer.

Actually, I am pretty sure it's a 10ft now. Because you take off the first 2x 18'' pieces, then you cut the remaining piece in half, and that acts as your ramps. You will need a come-along (hand winch), and the towing eye (in the tool kit).

Do this before you pick up the car. The front of the trailer has 2 'pockets' for the front wheels. You use the 2x8 (18'') to fill those pockets. This was needed by my turbo. Worked great. Hope you have the same trailer.

You also need 4x ratcheting tie-downs. Go through the wheels, or other hubs/stubs, to secure the vehicle to the trailer.

Take your time, no rush.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM
bordin34
Pro

I did this over the summer to an N/A with S2 body parts. It was a parts car.
It does fit easily on a Uhaul trailer. To load the car you will need either a steep driveway going into a street or some wood. If you dont do that the bumper will scrape on the trailer.
I have no pictures of the front. This car cleared the front of the trailer because the only thing in the front were little stops. I towed it with a 3.7L Grand Cherokee. The truck was rated to tow it but labored. I only had to tow about 20 miles.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Snugglepush
Hey Guys,

So I finally decided to pick up that 1986 Porsche 944 about 430KMs from where I live. I rented a UHAUL Auto Tranport and a UHAUL Pick up Truck (F-150).

This wil be my first time towing so I am a newbie at this. I believe the F-150 should have no problems with the Auto-Transport Weight + the Porsche 951 Weight since UHAUL permitted the reservation. (Can anyone confirm this pls :P)
V8 F-150 shouldn't have any problems.

As this is your first time towing - some advice: leave PLENTY of stopping distance in front of you. It will take much longer to stop the truck (even with trailer brakes). Also watch your speed - I never go over 65 with a trailer. Between the longer stopping distance + the smaller chances of recovery at high speeds if the trailer starts to sway + reduced fuel economy, I just drive easy.

If you have a trans temp gauge then keep an eye on it, make sure it stays below 220. And use the Tow/Haul mode if the trans has it... it keeps the transmission from upshifting and downshifting very frequently.

Oh and don't forget to take the trailer's fender off before you pull the car up or you probably won't be able to open the car door.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Lots of misc pieces of wood. I had to use small sheets of plywood under the front wheels at the front too (tie down points), otherwise my splitter would've hit on the front of the trailer. I've towed cars forwards and backwards on uhaul trailers and it'll be fine either way.

V8 F150 will be fine. My 4.0L V6 Frontier hauled my Audi (heavier than the 951) 1100 miles over many mountain ranges with no problems and still within the tow limits of the truck.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:27 PM
944hal
Pro

I've hauled a 951 thousands of miles with an F-150. Mine has the 5.4 engine and tow package. I was using a 16 foot steel trailer, but just switched to a 16 foot enclosed. Not problem with the truck. Last year I towed a friends 928 about 250 miles, using my truck and a rented U-Haul trailer. I would prefer a trailer to a tow dolly, but either way you should not have a problem over that distance. Just take it easy. You can't compete with traffic towing. Just go with the flow.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Towed my 951 on a U-Haul trailer on monday! It was only about a 10 mile trip though to a local shop.

Had no front bumper or engine in it, but a few pieces of wood to get the ramps up will be enough.

My 4.0L V6 Tacoma handled it just fine, even on a incline. I figure total weight was around 4500lbs.. the U-Haul trailer is a beast at 2000lbs, plus i figure 2500lbs for my engineless 951. The F-150 will have no problem.

If you can beforehand, check and see the condition of the straps on the trailer. The two wheel cradle straps were ripped and too short to reach the ratchet on the front. I used my own ratchet straps one each side to hook onto the cradle and onto the trailers ratchet. Also i used two extra ratchets on the rear. So at the least i would have two extra tie down straps available. If i hadnt had atleast 1 set of straps i wouldnt have been able to secure the car correctly.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:22 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Oh yeah. The ones on the largest uhail trailer fit my 16'' factory cs wheels (225/50/16) just fine. Do what I said though about the wood and measurements.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Hey Guys, I'm so happy to see that all your experiences have been positive

So this might sound silly to you but should I pick up those pieces of plywoods with those exact dimensions 10ft 2X8 at like Rona or Home Depot? (some hardware store)

The porsche I will be purchasing currently has 16 inch Fuchs Wheels on them, that won't affect the towing on the trailer right?

Finally, my only worry now is the ratchet straps. I will check the day before the condition of those straps but in case I need my own, where could I pick these up? Shouldn't UHAUL have any spare to lend? (I live in Montreal Quebec)

Thanks for all your amazing input!

Cheers!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont worry about the straps too much, i only suggest it because both of the trailers U-Haul had on site had straps that were beat to hell and ripped up. You can pickup more straps from any hardware store (Got mine from HomeDepot). Try to avoid getting anything from U-Haul as they have a huge markup.

The Fuch's wont be an issue.

The wood you can get at any hardware store also. Doesnt need to be the exact dimensions but Ben did all the leg work for you .
Old 11-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Grandpa#3
Three Wheelin'

Location: Hawkinsville / Perry, Georgia, RETIRED USAF GO BLUE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not get Plywood, use 2" X 10" X 10' and cut to length. If you tow the car with the back end facing the front you need to tie down the Hatch to keep it from blowing up in the wind. Get 2 each 5,000 lb. straps for the rear of the car.

Cheers,
Larry
Old 11-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Ugh. I'll only say it one more time.
You need to do the following...

Start with a 10ft 2x8. Then have them cut (I did this at Home Depot)
(2) pieces cut an 18'' length.
Take the remaining piece (7') and have it cut in half.

Done. Now you have your ramps to pull the car onto the ramp (go nose first), and you have your 2x 2x8x1.5s to keep the nose from hitting because there are 'wheel valleys' that need to be filled, with that wood.

edit - I used one step up from the cheapest. I think I used douglas fir? Something that can handle the weight (being used as a ramp).
Old 12-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Snugglepush
Advanced

Hey guys!

Just wanted to thank you all for your help!

So I went with Uhaul and everything went by really smoothly. Unfortunately, I was a little time pressed so I didn't manage to get a picture of the Porsche on the Trailer (the Trailer and Pickup was due at 5:00pm, I got there at 4:58PM)

I'll post some pictures of the car in the near future.

I really appreciate it!!!

Matt

Quick Reply: UHAUL Auto Transport Porsche 951 Help!