Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My clutch fixed itself....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:32 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My clutch fixed itself....

Ok, one thing consistent about these old p-cars is that they don't fix themselves. At the moment, I have 3 of them; 1 driver, 1 928 (epic) interior project and my best one which has been sitting in the corner neglected for months. Its lightly tapped by a guard rail but has a really tight engine and is moderately fast for a semi-stock turbo.
So now with winter coming, and me worried a little about the head/gasket corroding, I thought I better swap out the coolant and change the oil, get her cleaned up for the winter sleep.
Got her running no problem and a few wind sprints - all is good. Parked her in the drive for a couple of days and when I got out move her back to the corner, the clutch would not release. It won't go in gear with the engine running and can't break the clutch loose using the starter.
So, bled the clutch, checked the movement of the fork - all seems fine but still no joy.
Read a few clutch tales of misery, sinking into my own depression now. Get her up on stands, running, revd in third, clutch in, stomp on the brakes - no joy.
Decided to push her into the corner and put off the clutch till spring. But wanted to be sure the coolant/water was well mixed and burn off most of the gas in the tank so left her idling for about 30 minutes. And voila... clutch works fine.
Just thought I would share...signed, Rusty Torque Tube (aka Bruce)
Old 11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Can I assume that you will be buying lottery tickets today given your obvious run of good luck?
Old 11-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... You should park it with a FULL tank and fuel system treatment (Stabil)... not near empty.

Quick Reply: My clutch fixed itself....