Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 944 Turbo to buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 09:56 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Snugglepush
The car never had any accident. The reason the front bumper was changed was due to a Baseball hitting the front left. Instead of fixing it, the first owner just thought of changing the bumper.

Fuel lines i'm not too worried about... It's somewhere like 130$ for the part and a little more for labor.

The seller has been hoenst with me up to date. He told me that the car is in good condition to be driven still today. Mass Air flow was recently changed, zero oil leaks and the clutch is tight. My plan is to buy it this weekend and to store it for the winter. Prob change the vacuum hose during the winter because apparently it's only 40$ and it's worth the investment.

After the winter is gone, start working on it a lil more seriously. Dumping maybe another 3K$ for the season and see how far I can go. Labor charge won't be much of an issue with me since i'm doing this project with a friend of mine who is a Mechanic. He's never specialized in Porsches but just looking at the forums will give him a good idea.

The seller is also giving me a spare NEW Cluster and NEW Mass Air Flow and some Hose Brake all from Lindsay Racing.

At 4000$ for a pretty good conditioned Porsche compared to the other ones in Quebec, how much more would you guys bargain it down to? initially, he was asking 4200$ but just by giving him serious talk, he said he could take 4000$. But not sure if I could really bargain much more.

By the way, thanks again for all your support, I truly appreciate you all
I'd say that's a pretty good price for a car north of the border. Although the CAN market isn't as bad as overseas, 944s do command a little bit more coin there than in the states.

This is one of the best resources out there for you and your mechanic friend to bring that thing back to life:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index3.htm
Old 11-13-2012, 01:39 AM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

when is the last time the timing belt and the balance shaft belt have been replaced? same for water pump.
none are expensive -- just takes time some knowledge.

check to see how much vacuum the system is holding?

I would work on it over the winter -- so it was ready in the spring :-)

of course here in Texas winter is defined by cold weekends -- and you may get
1 winter a year -- or a handful :-)

mike
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 AM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronin-951
Agree that ALL 951's are $10k Car's - sooner or later. Still, ... best $10k [+] I ever spent on a Car! If your 'Handy', and have an understanding Brother ... HECK YES. If not so, ... $10k should be your plan.
This is really true - both what it will cost and that it is money well spent as long as you have it.

My personal bias is the car's appearance. When you get done spending your $10k on the mechanical stuff, will the paint and interior still bother you? These things affect your enjoyment of the car, and particularly with interior bits there may be nothing you can do about it.

My present 951 was the best example I could find looking for a year. If/when I have to put a new engine in it or go through some other frightfully expensive iteration, I won't mind a bit.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't buy a cheap 951

Find something that will set you back more but has been well maintained!
a "cheap" 951 will set you back more then a well maintained one.

I'm sure if you look around rennlist there will be some good 951s for sale for a good price with a good history.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:10 AM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Don't buy a cheap 951

Find something that will set you back more but has been well maintained!
a "cheap" 951 will set you back more then a well maintained one.

I'm sure if you look around rennlist there will be some good 951s for sale for a good price with a good history.
Agreed. Unfortunately, we all learn this lesson the hard way.

Save up for a year or two and pick up a really nice car from the US (more bang for the buck than in Canada), and your pockets will thank you.

From what I can see in the pics, even if you're handy under the hood, what you'll save in labor costs, you'll pay dearly in blood, sweat and wrench time on the car.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see you're planning an engine rebuild. Tread lightly into that. Not that its a voo-doo engine, but parts prices might scare the crap out of you.

I don't know which camp I fall into as far as "buy a $10K car or spend $4 on the car and $6 on restoration". Either way, the majority of these cars or more than capable and more than happy to live on jackstands for long periods of time. They're old. They're complex. They're cool. Good luck

Quick Reply: 86 944 Turbo to buy or not?