Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

aftermarket oil temp gauge bounces/erratic?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 04:51 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default aftermarket oil temp gauge bounces/erratic?

My aftermarket oil temp gauge has always done this - so while I was removing the pillar gauges and mounting them under the stereo I bought a new gauge and changed the ground wire, cleaned up all the other wiring and still have the same result.

It works fine until you get the car under load and then it jumps around, let off the gas and cruise and it pops right back to where the temp actually is. under boost/load its all over the place. I changed the ground location and the wiring is in good condition. I did not run a new sender wire, I guess thats next on my list.

Anyone had this happen? Is this more likely from interference with the sender wire somewhere or does it sound like a bad ground? Power wire shouldnt have anything to do with I wouldnt think.

factory gauges are all fine. thanks!
sam

Old 11-03-2012, 06:08 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is your oil temp sender located?

I would take out the gauge and run a temp set of wires straight over the hood to the sender, tapping them down for a quick run to see if it happens again. This would tell you if it's the sender/sender location or the wiring very quickly.

TonyG
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

turbo drain return plug to the oil pan. good call I can do that pretty easily. thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
turbo drain return plug to the oil pan. good call I can do that pretty easily. thanks
Do the test like I said.

But that's not a good place to take the oil temp because you have scalding hot oil running out of the turbo. It's not an accurate reflection of what's in the pan.

TonyG
Old 11-04-2012, 01:28 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

It was the sender connection, the crimp connection must not have been very good - now fixed. Yeah I hear ya on the location. I used to take it at the drain plug which is where I take it on the spec car. Prob relocate it one of these days. Thanks!

Quick Reply: aftermarket oil temp gauge bounces/erratic?