Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How to: Safely do the LR 1" AOS mod without pulling the AOS

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 01:34 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to: Safely do the LR 1" AOS mod without pulling the AOS

They say laziness is the mother of invention.

I started a thread a few days ago asking if I needed to pull the AOS to install the 1" upgrade mod. The consensus was generally: yes - if you don't pull the AOS, then when you start drilling/cutting, all the pieces are going to fall into the AOS and eventually find their way into the oil, creating problems.

Made sense, so I started stripping things down to pull the turbo, so I could access the AOS. After about an hour (and after draining the coolant system, which I needed to do anyways because I forgot to replace the rear waterneck gasket last time I was in there), I realized - this is going to suck to do all this work just to get the AOS out. I did a bit of brainstorming, and here's what I came up with.

Step 1: Remove the intake so you can access the top of the AOS.

Step 2: Loosen the top two AOS bolts.

Step 3: Loosen the clamp and remove the turbo drain vent hose (a good time to put on a silicone one, too)

Step 4: Find a suitable, fairly long hose that will fit over the part of the AOS where you just removed the drain vent hose from. Attach and cinch down with a hose clamp (as seen below)

Step 5: Attach the other end of the hose to a high powered vacuum.

Step 6: Turn the vacuum on, and drill out the holes you'll use to rivet on the new AOS top, being careful to remove any big pieces from the top. Any of the small bits coming through the bottom will be sucked up by the vacuum.

Step 7: Using a hole saw, remove the center piece of the AOS. I went in with just a SLIGHT side pressure so that the hole saw cut through about 95% of the circle - that way, the center piece didn't fall through into the AOS. I then used a knife to cut the last remaining bit and pulled the center piece out.

Step 8: Just to be extra careful, put an extension on your vacuum and suck out anything that may have fallen through - in my case, nothing got through

Step 9: Complete the installation per Lindsey's directions - and you're good to go!

Old 10-22-2012, 03:20 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool... Thanks for the write up, definitely worth trying...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

... or you could simply pull the AOS cover, modify it on your bench and spend the rest of the time saved to drink a beer or two.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Can you do that??? Well I feel stupid - how does it come off? I tried but couldn't get it to budge, so I figured it was permanently on there.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just figured I'd mention that it looks like you might have some questionable wiring in there. Looks like the shielding's shot, unless I don't know what I'm looking at (which is always a possibility). Be careful things don't catch fire!

Name:  1skqol.jpeg
Views: 142
Size:  115.3 KB
Old 10-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Indeed - fear not, the MAIN reason I have the intake off is because I'm redoing all the wiring - including that cable you pointed out, which I believe is the bundle from the alternator - I may be wrong on that ID, but either way, yes - the wiring in my car IS crap! But hopefully not by this evening, as I have the day off and new wiring showing up in the mail in about an hour!
Old 10-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Copilot
Can you do that??? Well I feel stupid - how does it come off? I tried but couldn't get it to budge, so I figured it was permanently on there.
Don't feel stupid, and sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh.

It's very tight and a pain to take off properly, as it's supposed to seal the AOS.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:01 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can easily access the alternator harness, I would cut open an old coolant hose and wrap it around the wires where they get close to the block. Ive seen a few 951s chafe those wires on the balance shaft cover and start a fire.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 AM
KaiKai951S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha, I noticed you used my 6 Rivet Pattern, Nice!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
Old 10-24-2012, 11:17 PM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Oh cool - thanks! I didn't realize it was yours - I had seen it a few weeks ago when I had googled the AOS mod, and thought it looked cool. Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 10-24-2012, 11:54 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiKai951S
Ha ha, I noticed you used my 6 Rivet Pattern, Nice!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
Love to steal the pattern as I'm doing this upgrade this weekend
but your link is dead.

can you email it to me mike@lonestarrpm.com

m

Quick Reply: How to: Safely do the LR 1" AOS mod without pulling the AOS