Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

(UPDATED w/PHOTOs/Porsche Sunday Drive): D/FW: This should be a good car weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:51 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default (UPDATED w/PHOTOs/Porsche Sunday Drive): D/FW: This should be a good car weekend!

Tonight: Forest Lane Reunion Cruise. This street used to be the big "loop" in Dallas and was huge in the 70's and 80's. Last Reunion Cruise I went to had 1200 plus cars easy. I would enjoy driving my classic 951 but since I have a 556hp manual trans CTS-V Coupe at my disposal...and the fact that my friend will be there in his 496" Chevelle, well you see the logic.

Tomorrow: PCA Sunday Drive. Meeting in Ft. Worth and driving backroads through Granbury, Glen Rose and ultimately to Hico. The speeds will be somewhat less than the time Ryan and I followed ZerMatt951 on those roads. OK...truth be told the speeds will be less than half what Matt was doing!

Last edited by racerxrick; 10-21-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:20 PM
OEMTim
Instructor

I used to live in Fort Worth and Aledo. There are some good roads out between Weatherford and Granbury. I'm sure you ended up on some of them. Good times.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:01 AM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Have fun tomorrow going "PCA" speeds

Wish I was there, and with a running car!
Old 10-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Sentinelist
Pro

Oh hai, I just discovered this corner of RL! There you guys are... Saw the event in PCA.

And I was JUST in Glen Rose today. In an Escalade though. The great winding roads in the area aren't as much fun with lots of body roll and whiny passengers. Would love to join you guys (especially because my 951 is running like a top lately and I've been dailying it for 2 months now) but I have some family plans already committed to. Enjoy! And RAINCHECK.

Hey Matt- what's up with yours?

EDIT: Rick, just saw your PM from yesterday- thanks

Last edited by Sentinelist; 10-21-2012 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:30 AM
dillon410021
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Drove my 951 yesterday and put some miles on it. I let my brother drive it at night to get a perspective from passenger side and it was very cool. Wastegate dump in traffic was awesome. It was his first time driving the new car that I completed and he very much enjoyed how smooth it drove and the power it had. The only thing he did not like was the manual steering.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:15 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Next time guys...about to head to Ft. Worth, windy and warm today. Thinking windows up and A/C for the freeways. Then maybe pull the top off for the country drive.

Dillon....I let my son drive my car every once in a while. It feels powerful from the drivers seat, he doesn't like hitting in first gear cause it revs so fast!

Speaking of power, wow last night had some powerful cars! I had a twin turbo Viper make the CTS-V look SLOOOOOW! I did have a guy in a rollcaged and LOUD ' Vette get schooled on modern Cadillac's! Also whipped a few others. The girlfriend does well at speed...BUT not in hard low end acceleratiion. :0
Old 10-21-2012, 10:19 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zerMATT951
Have fun tomorrow going "PCA" speeds

Wish I was there, and with a running car!
Yeah you would have had a good time..the drive was MUCH more spirited than I anticipated! While not the far side of 150 like our drive still hammered pretty good. I was in the lead group and found out that makes a huge difference.

We left Lake Worth and headed through Weatherford, then Granbury, Glen Rose and then that fast road down to Hico (and yes the Koffee Kup was great as always!).

On that awesome section of Hwy 51 I got stuck a few cars behind this headstrong female driver. She would pass everyone on the straights and then hold us up in the twisties. Even leaving Lake Worth she cut in front of me. Well...after your fav section ends you take a right up that long half mile hill. You see where this is going right?? All of us hammered up that hill and I caught and passed the two cars in front and then her in a long drag race up the hill! Hehehe.

Running up that hill I saw what I "thought" was a another C4S or somesuch cabriolet hang with me and pass those cars...at least i thought it was. More on that later.

One thing I found out, I can outrun all the 911s, 4s, whatever that I came across, even the loud one's with exhaust. One guy had been following me and after poppin' and backfiring through Granbury he pulls alongside and asks, "Can you let us in front of you...your car is a little smelly". Sorry still have to laugh...c'mon guy man up and say the cars running a little rich! Yes my car has a little extra fuel for insurance with the stock injectors. After letting him buy he started hitting it hard and went to pass...he was flat on it and I closed the gap. Of course I backed off then and let him stay out front.

Before we left for the day several people asked if it was an "S" and I said no. They then informed me that an S was the faster one. I just smiled and didn't let on I had a bigger turbo, etc.

After we stopped at the end of the day I got a lot of great compliments and apologized to the Cab driver for my smelly 944. The comments generally centered around "wow, that thing really flies!".

Best compliment of all?? Turns out the 911 C4s somesuch cabriolet that hung with me up that hill...was an 04' Turbo! He was really amused how he could just hang on and no more. That was nice to hear...btw, he too was frustrated with the ballsy woman and wanted to drop her up that hill (we both did).

Felt good and a little suprising how the little car held up. Only front engine car AND the only 4 cylinder!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:32 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

My favorite car in attendance...pure sex! Some kind of wide body car? Dunno but loved it!

Didn't get to see or hear it drive though
Attached Images     
Old 10-21-2012, 10:38 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

and a few of my pics...
Attached Images        
Old 10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks like fun Rick
Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Very nice.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:32 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

You're in good company there... Great looking car and hot girl...!! No wonder you're smiling all over your face...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
Very nice.
I have marked this as a positive comment from Reno...there is hope for you yet!

Originally Posted by Motosport
You're in good company there... Great looking car and hot girl...!! No wonder you're smiling all over your face...
thanks...hey there is a pic of the 951 behind her!

Originally Posted by refresh951
Looks like fun Rick
would have been even more fun with 2.8 stroker

Quick Reply: (UPDATED w/PHOTOs/Porsche Sunday Drive): D/FW: This should be a good car weekend!