Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Some 968 Club Sport bits on ebay, will they fit a 944 turbo? What else do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 07:00 AM
RennBod
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some 968 Club Sport bits on ebay, will they fit a 944 turbo? What else do I need?

Hi,

I am looking to improve my 944 turbo and found these two items on ebay. They are 968 M030 suspension and brakes...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-M0...e=STRK:MESE:IT

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-96...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Will they actually bolt straight onto a 944 turbo?

What are they actually worth?

They also have a 968 LSD transmission on there...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-96...item416cfc11dc

I don't even know if it can be fitted to a 944 turbo, but if it can, how much is it worth? and again.. do they come up often? and most importantly, will it fit a 944 turbo?

The idea of a 6 speed transmission is kinda cool, especially as it has an LSD, but I have no idea if it will bolt up.

Any help will be awesome!
Old 10-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

What year/model of turbo do you have? What suspension and brakes are currently on it?

The front struts and front hubs/spindles are a direct bolt-on swap for a late offset car. Early offset (86) may have some complications. EDIT - important, the helper barrel spring on the rear shocks may require re-indexing the rear torsion bars to keep the stock/current ride height. I have never been able to confirm how the factory 968 M030 cars had their t-bars indexed. But I do know that installing these 968 rear shocks (w/ spring) on a stock car will noticeably raise the ride height, somewhat more than the adjustment range of the rear spring plate eccentric.

NOTE: the front hubs/spindles are not being sold w/ the M030 calipers, so be aware that you need to source those separately.

Also, the picture in the ad is not of the actual parts - the floor in the pic looks familiar to another rennlister's/ebayer's ads that lives in Georgia US, and comments in the text say the parts may or may not include the backing shields - which are obviously there in the picture.

If your car has ABS, you would also want to check if the spindles include the ABS sensors or not.

The transmission swap is more involved and there are some additional parts and other issues to resolve (speedo pickup). Worth doing a search on this forum, as there are some threads that discuss the details and options of this type of swap.

Really not sure of the value of these parts in the UK, as availability and prices seem to vary by continent.

Last edited by Oddjob; 10-18-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Damn everyone is always using Josh B's pictures
Old 10-18-2012, 10:01 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RennBod
Hi,

I am looking to improve my 944 turbo and found these two items on ebay. They are 968 M030 suspension and brakes...

Will they actually bolt straight onto a 944 turbo?

What are they actually worth?

They also have a 968 LSD transmission on there...

I don't even know if it can be fitted to a 944 turbo, but if it can, how much is it worth? and again.. do they come up often? and most importantly, will it fit a 944 turbo?

The idea of a 6 speed transmission is kinda cool, especially as it has an LSD, but I have no idea if it will bolt up.

Any help will be awesome!
Looks like you're local to the Porsche garage selling the parts, pop in and talk to Jon about them. He's a decent guy but he knows what the parts are worth so wont be giving them away.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:19 AM
RennBod
Instructor

Just popped into JMG Porsche who I have used before, but did not want to show my hand and seem interested in the parts.

Jon showed me the 968, seems like a really nice red one that they are converting into a 968 Turbo RS specification. The shocks are coming off to make way for KW coilovers, the brakes are being replaced with custom made spindles for 996 GT3 brakes, and the transmission is being replaced with a straight cut sequential transaxle!!

He does also have M030 calipers, but says that often they turn up on ebay for less than he is happy to sell them for, as he often needs them for customers cars if they have a bad one.

He has put the parts on ebay starting with a low bid because he says the value of these parts are so variable, with the spindles often getting anywhere from £300 a pair, to £750 a pair, the suspension getting from £500 a set to £1000 a set and the transmission with LSD is worth anything from £1000 to £2500 depending really on who wants it and how much they are willing to pay for it... so it is down to who wants it most and how much gets bid on the items.

Apparently the spindles do have backing plates which are included, but they are included as a bonus item, he said that he sold some spindles before with backing plates and the guy complained they were rusty and kicked off about that, so now he always says they may have none, and if they do they are a free bonus item.

From what I saw of the suspension, it looks in much better shape than the photos, very clean.

Only problem is, not sure if I can afford to buy the suspension and the brakes, so now need to choose what I want most!! Inconvenient this entire money thing isnt it!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:22 AM
RennBod
Instructor

My turbo is a 1990, but seems to have some poverty spec, whereas the others I have seen have M030 brakes and suspension, mine has the same size callipers on the front and rear and has black non adjustable front and rear shocks

Jon at JMG also showed me a massive stack of cup-1 and cup-2 wheels he will be selling, almost every offset and width ever made. His 968 Turbo project is getting a nice set of speedlines, thats going to be one very nice car!!
Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 PM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Arrrrgh - sent him a message....
Old 10-18-2012, 03:40 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
Damn everyone is always using Josh B's pictures
I thought something looked familiar, that floor works better than a watermark!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I know for a fact that the suspension will bolt straight on. I just bought a 968 M030 setup with stiffer aftermarket springs from a fellow Rennlist member and they bolted onto my early-offset '86 with no issues.

The fronts will bolt directly to your existing spindles with no modifications necessary, or if you can swing it you can get the M030 spindles and hubs from the seller as well.

The rear shocks w/ coilovers are of course also bolt-on, but you MAY have clearance issues with the right side spring if your transaxle has the factory oil cooling loop like mine does. I have narrow 2.5" aftermarket springs on mine and even they come very close to the oil cooler loop.

The 300 lb/in springs that I have on the rear did raise my ride height by close to an inch, so I will be reindexing the bars soon (along with perhaps re-valving the rear shocks as they are a bit under-damped for 300# springs). The 80 lb/in stock springs that you would get may also raise the rear slightly, but you may be able to get away with simply re-lowering the rear with the factory eccentric adjustors. Take measurements before and after.

If you do a search you will find ample info about the parts necessary to convert a 951 to a 968 6 speed transaxle.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:53 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RennBod
Just popped into JMG Porsche who I have used before, but did not want to show my hand and seem interested in the parts.

He has put the parts on ebay starting with a low bid because he says the value of these parts are so variable, with the spindles often getting anywhere from £300 a pair, to £750 a pair, the suspension getting from £500 a set to £1000 a set and the transmission with LSD is worth anything from £1000 to £2500 depending really on who wants it and how much they are willing to pay for it... so it is down to who wants it most and how much gets bid on the items.
I dont understand the fuss over MO30 parts unless it's to hype up the price of a 968 CS to sell. I guess £500 isn't so bad but my brand new KW's were £1100 a couple of years back so a grand seems expensive.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:05 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My turbo is a 1990, but seems to have some poverty spec, whereas the others I have seen have M030 brakes and suspension, mine has the same size callipers on the front and rear and has black non adjustable front and rear shocks
Since 1990 is not a real S-turbo, most of the cars were equipped with normal Sachs shocks. Small front calipers are odd, there should be 951 S / 928 S4 size calipers. If you really have these smaller calipers bigger M030 size version are not a direct bolt on to your cars spindles. 968 CS or 968 M030 option front calipers were the same as 951 S cars and also '89, '90 & '91 turbos originally had. Otherwise those Konis are a direct fit to your car.

Quick Reply: Some 968 Club Sport bits on ebay, will they fit a 944 turbo? What else do I need?