Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My first no-start thread! I finally "own" my 951!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default My first no-start thread! I finally "own" my 951!!

Heavy sarcasm in the title!

I realize I've been posting about a bunch of different problems - thanks for the help everyone's been giving me! The AOS thread I started was actually what was happening BEFORE I had this no-start issue.

So - a few months ago, pulled the engine, replaced basically every seal, the belts, rollers, waterpump, turbo (up to a k27/8), rod bearings, clutch, etc. - anyways, put everything back in, started it up - and no major issues! And it started! (woohoo)

Then, probably about 4 days later, I tried to start it, and instead of turning over, it just went "click click click". I figured maybe the battery was bad/low, so I jumped the car - and started right up.

The next day, tried to start it, and again, rapid clicking. Fiddled around (not really accomplishing anything), and then it started!

Since then - every time I try to start it, I just get rapid clicking. I CAN however, hear the fuel pump running.

Here are the things that I've already checked out (based on extensive use of the search function:

1. Fuel pump is running - so theoretically, that means the DME relay is okay, right?
2. All electrical cables are connected where they should be.
3. Checked ignition switch - seemed good, but replaced it with a brand new (and authentic) one anyways.
4. Pulled starter, had it tested - starter is good. Figured it might be the solenoid - pulled the solenoid, replaced with a brand new one.
5. Pulled battery, had it tested - battery is good.
6. Checked alarm box - previous owner had already bypassed the alarm system.

Battery cables are in pretty rough condition - my guess is that the only last possible thing that could be wrong causing the clicking (and more importantly, the lack of starting), is that I have a bad ground somewhere. I figure the best way to fix that problem is just to get rid of any potentially bad grounds so I ordered one of the iceshark cable kits from Robby.

So, that's where I am - anything I am missing? Any incorrect assumptions above? Anything else I can try?

Thanks again for all the help on here - this really is a great community.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Sounds like a connection issue, replace the cables and make sure they're all good and tight.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:22 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, if you have beat-up battery cables, I'd highly recommend replacing them. Unfortunately, IceShark is no longer with us, but I think there was someone else who bought up his stock and was selling kits. Someone else will chime in with who that might be. Also, maybe PM John Koa Wood, I know he had mentioned he was going to make kits at some point, but I'm not sure what happened with it.

Also, have you checked to see if your battery is holding a charge? What voltage do you read when you get the clicking?

My money is on old crap wiring. Replace it. If it's not the cause of this problem, it will be the cause of a problem later.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Copilot
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah - I found the guy that makes the kits out of IceShark's old stuff/using his method, so I should be set there.

Battery is holding a charge.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:41 PM
951Saga
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check voltage at the starter when attempting to start. If it differs greatly from the battery voltage you have a cable/ connection, voltage drop issue.

The fuel pump should not activate until the flywheel spins at about 300rpm. Have you checked or do you have another DME relay, is it the pump you hear?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The JohnKoaWood ones are better than the iceshark ones... he is super busy though but I would give him the right of first refusal (he'll be level with you)

Quick Reply: My first no-start thread! I finally "own" my 951!!