Where to buy bearings/rings?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy bearings/rings?

I don't have the oil pan off yet (I should have a set of M12 x 1.50 x 70mm bolts tomorrow so I can put it on the stand), but Zim's annual swap meet is on Saturday and I can take advantage of a parts discount if I buy now...

Should I buy these parts at Zims now just so that I have them for my motor (or a donor short block), or should I wait till later? Who are the best sources for these parts?

While I'm at it, is there any reason to stick with OE Porsche, or are Glyco just fine?
Old 10-13-2012, 04:22 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Glyco is fine, I've had bad luck with goetze rings and have been using the custom Lindsey rings on the last 4 engines I have built for race engines with stock bores and alusil. U gap the rings to your liking. I use world PAC, ssf, ebs racing, lindsey racing for bearings and rings, global metrics or fastenal or eagle day for hardware
Old 10-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

I did a bunch of research on the rod bearings when I had my engine out last year, and, it turns out that Glyco actually makes the OE Porsche bearings. I did have a couple of people tell me that the Glyco ones weren't as good as the OE ones, but no one could give me a quantifiable reason for this belief. I also had several reputable sources tell me that the Glyco ones were just fine. I went with the Glyco ones, and have had no problems at all.. I've got about 18k miles on them now and everything seems fine.

Also, you have a PM
Old 10-13-2012, 05:55 PM
944hal
Pro

I used Lindsey to source parts for 2 engine rebuilds. They set things up nicely on their web site if you need all the gaskets, etc. for a full rebuild. I used Glyco bearings on both. I also have heard that they were not as good as OEM but will let someone else jump in with substantiation of the claim. I have about 40 racing track hours on my latest motor, with the Glyco bearings, with no sign of problems. I plan to replace them this winter, so I'll post what they look like. I've been using the stock Porsche, pre-cut piston rings.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:03 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Also, have you considered a 2.85 stoker (Blown 944) since you'll have it apart anyway? Seems like big reliable power for not much money, and they're all the rage these days

Quick Reply: Where to buy bearings/rings?