Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Floorpan Modification? Seat Clearance? Looking for experience...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Dan951Man
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Floorpan Modification? Seat Clearance? Looking for experience...

Hey there guys, this seams like the best place to ask this due to all the modified 944 experts. I've heard of people modifying their floorpans for extra seat clearance. Something about removing the "H" mount, and creating their own seat mount lower. I've never found pictures, or heard any more than those rumors.
(example pic of stock plate using my stripped shell)

I have a 968T with some floorpan damage. The passenger side rear is bashed upwards, but the seam around the edges is not distroyed. This raised the right rear corner of the passenger seat. It looks like someone talented can easily straighten the floor with the correct tools, but I'm unsure the "H" plate will be true.
(my 68, hard to see but the whole "valley" in the pic above is beat upwards)

More importantly, I'm tall...my friends are tall...and I plan on spending alot of helmet time in the car. Currently I remove all the seat padding for the helmet clearance, and still dont feel safe. If I am getting body work done anyways, I am considering some sort of floorpan redesign. If it can all be cut, a metal brace mounted lower, then pieced back together nows the time to do it.
All that sounds incredibly dangerous to be modified though. What good is a rollbar if the floor disappears. This is why I am looking for people who successfully modified their floorpan. Or, Im looking for a shop to talk to that has experience with such extremities. Preferably near the bay area...
("c" is the rail on the bottom of the car that braces straight back from the "frame horn" protruding out the firewall to the front bumper)

("b" is obviously the area of questionable modification. the lateral brace "c" runs into is structural and would need to remain or be recreated)

("a" is the area which on the 68 needs straightening)

If a seat mounting plate could be fabricated that mounted to the tunnel, the side rail, the structural rail in "c" and "b", and the sheetmetal in "a"... everything existing might be able to be cut out and the seat plane lowered?
Its crazy, I know, let me know what you'd dream up...
Old 10-13-2012, 07:21 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Mount the seat directly to the floor (but bolster the floor) and remove sunroof roof and put in non sunroof roof. (For some reason I hear a Labrador saying that sentence in my head). Unless you have an extremely long torso this will give you plenty of headroom. Better still, remove your stock pedals and put in a pedal box and move the seat backwards a few inches.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:33 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

I am 6'6" and have a sunroof-car and still have 2 or 3" of head clearance when the seat is all the way back...try early manual seats?

Quick Reply: Floorpan Modification? Seat Clearance? Looking for experience...