Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Starter bolts tight

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
dneid
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter bolts tight

Ok, all, time to do belts (my first time doing this). I hit Clark's Garage, printed out all the applicable docs, spent a day reading them while looking at the car ( on floor jacks in all 4 corners). Ok, I am feeling like I can get this done...... After all, I have done 6 cars/engines in the past. Well, the damn starter mount bolts are tight as hell. I can't break them with a breaker bar! Any tricks or tips?
So, I figure I will get the power steering/AC/alternator belts off while the penetrating oil works down the starter bolts. Damnit, I broke the tensioner arm on the drivers side at the eye! Any body have a spare they can sell me cheap? And, what the hell were those crazy Germans thinking with where they hide those aux pivot bolts?
Is this going to be a test of my very limited patience?
Old 10-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This will be a test of your very vast strength. lol

I had a bolt really really stuck once too. I ended up having to put the car on a lift and my dad was practically hanging off the 3 ft. long breaker bar before it broke!

Make sure you take off the heat shield in there so you can get a good 6 point socket on the bolt. Bonus if you can get the car on a lift. It seems like a waste of time and money, but if yours is anything like mine was, there is no way in the Scottish Highlands you'll break that sucker on the ground!

But here's to trying!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

hit the bolt head with a hammer a few times.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:11 PM
nofalls
Racer

Relax, have a home brew. You will figure it out. In a couple of years you will wonder how it could have seemed so hard to do it the first time. At least that is what I keep telling myself.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Put a box head wrench on the bolt, put goggles on to protect your eyes, then hit the wrench with a metal hammer. Once in a great while a cheap wrench will shatter, but 99% of the time, it's a very effective shadetree impact wrench.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:49 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I had this problem too. If you're thinking of skipping the flywheel lock by just putting the car in gear, by all means try it, but don't waste much time on it if it doesn't work first time. I wasted a lot of time trying this but in the end, getting the starter bolts out - stuck as they were - was the only way.

I used a hammer like Tom said^^
Old 10-11-2012, 01:48 AM
dneid
Intermediate

Hey, Guys,
Thanks for the encouraging words. I just sat back tonight and relaxed. I did crawl under again to slather some Marvel's on the bolts and tapped the heads with a ball peen hammer. I'll crawl back under this Friday evening to take a stab at em again. I think I will grab a 6 point 19 MM-1/2 drive socket to ensure I am getting a full bite on the head of the bolts and see if I can get em lose. Now, anyone know where I can find the tensioning turnbuckle for the AC that broke? Maybe a generic turnbuckle from Home Depot?
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...26-021-03.html

Bam!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:10 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

A good penetrating oil like corrosion x. I am pretty sure it's corroded on the threads. Typical for bolts that low on the car. When you finally get it out you will probably find white powder on the treads where the two surfaces have been in contact for a long time. Thats my bet....and the things mentioned above.

Quick Reply: Starter bolts tight