Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

water in my oil, oil in my water. Why and Where?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy water in my oil, oil in my water. Why and Where?

So yesterday I noticed my temp starting to creep up at idle. I figured I had a little air still left in my system and planned to bleed it today.
I opened my coolant fill and noticed oil in it . I then pulled my dip stick and noticed a milky oil on the stick.
The car has been running well at idle and is not blowing smoke. She has no noticeable stutter and the water is not bubbling out of the coolant fill container at idle.
I recently did a front engine reseal, belts rollers and so forth , however I failed to replace the oil cooler seals.
What do you guys think? Is the oil mixing due to my failure to replace the 25 year old oil cooler seals or did I manage to blow my head gasket ?
I have not been driving a lot as I have still been planing tires and suspension stuff. I hope I noticed in time and have not done any damage.
Any one have suggestions to diagnose the source of my oil / water leak?
I thought I was at the point where I would be able to begin to enjoy her again ! .
Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, John in Houston.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be either one, but with the temp climbing, it's more likely the HG. A small HG leak, which is still a blown HG, won't smoke much until your hard on boost, and then, if it's small enough still not much. There will be more steam, which you won't actually be able to see. Once the car has been run and is good and hot, water will bubble out of the coolant tank, after you turn it off.
That said, it could still be the cooler seal. Look for water in one or more cylinders and check your plugs for a nice wet clean spark plug, or two. That should help you figure it out.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had leaking oil cooler seals. Small amount of oil in header tank, enough to coat my finger when I stuck it in there. No water in oil however and no overheating. Replaced the seals and all is good now.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:55 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

its usually the cooler console seal that craps out first if it has never been changed, and the mixing occurs under shut off.. now.. however, there is water in the crankcase, on the bearings , in the oil passages, and on the crank. pull the pan. change the rod bearings, remove oil pickup, clean as much as you can, get a new oil pan gasket, rod bearings and nuts, oil pickup tube seal, and have at it, remove the oil cooler console and start cleaning everything everrywhere.

Quick Reply: water in my oil, oil in my water. Why and Where?