Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

60-1+WebCam+Rogue M-Tune+Headwork…Initial Feedback…

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 12:11 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 60-1+WebCam+Rogue M-Tune+Headwork…Initial Feedback…

Well, about 90 days ago I started this project (life kept getting in the way), change out the turbo, add external oil cooler and LR Stage 1 intercooler. This car is my DE car and my goal was to add top end and avoid the over-saturating of the turbo I was experiencing with the 26/8 at top end. In a previous post and video I showed the performance of that set-up: very quick spool-up, but also topped out very quickly, too quickly for a track car but awesome for a street vehicle…

Last night I did a leisurely drive to check for leaks and break in the twin BB Garrett, I know many folks think this charger is out-dated, but every piece of research I did led me back to it’s performance characteristics for the type of driving I do. This morning I headed for the highway to get some feel for these mods. My initial butt dyno tells me my research was sound. The power curve has definitely shifted somewhat to the right. Where the 26/8 was spooling at ~2500, the 60-1 starts producing positive pressure ~3000, and really takes off about ~3400…at 120MPH where the 26/8 was starting to bog, the 60-1 is just hitting it’s stride…torgue is still climbing noticeably but my po-po meter told me to shut it down for now…BTW I’ve limited the Turbonetics to 15psi while I check things out…

As for the new oil cooler and intercooler, the hood is very noticeably cooler when opening it after a full run, that is I used to need a rag to grab the hood and today it wasn’t necessary. It also seems I’ve gotten a half bar more oil pressure at hot idle with the extra oil capacity…. And while water temps remain the same as before, my cylinder head temps are about 10 degrees cooler….

One more thing. I had completely forgotten about adding the LR zork tube. As I was doing my break in drive last night I was passing by a concrete wall when the wastegate opened up…the growl that echoed back through my open passenger window sacred the **** out of me!!! I thought I had hit a pedestrian!!! Then it dawned on me that I had added that straight pipe….

Hope this helps others as they search for the proper turbo for the type of driving they do….and Pauly, I’ll get your vid out later today after I charge the Go-Pro……
Old 10-07-2012, 12:10 AM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Sounds like fun. Why did you pick the Stage I IC over the stage II? Why pick the 60-1?

Years ago after reading Maximum Boost by Corky Bell I tried to calculate the best turbo for a 2.5L track car using the compressor maps that I had available (can't remember the others I looked at) and the 60-1 was the best fit but for various reasons I went with a different turbo - what other turbos did you consider?

What boost are you planning to run at the track?

Regardless, it sounds like your next DE should be a new experience.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a regular 60-1, and yeah it doesn't wake up till 3500. Once you're at 4000 things really start happening fast though.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:02 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

dyno run would be interesting!
Old 10-07-2012, 09:35 AM
White_951
Rennlist Member

74Gold - I spent months of research, reading everything I could. The turbo manufacturers and tuners keep their secrets well hidden and you've got to read between the lines often...

Compressor maps and dyno charts that I found in countless web searches along with lurking on this board over the past year helped me to pull the trigger on this charger. What I found is that there is no silver bullet, everything is a trade off and you have to make a firm decision on just what kind of performance you are trying to achieve, there is quite a difference between street and track, stop and go driving. I was of course drawn to all the new technology, such as the GTX stuff, but in the end I couldn't see much difference in performance and this turbo sorta fell into my lap...I sent it up to Charlie to tighten it up...In researching the intercooler, the performance of the Stg 1 and Stg 2 was so close I couldn't see the need for the added expense in a 2.5L....as far as boost is concerned, longevity is my goal so I will be very conservative and only push this car to what I feel are safe limits...not sure what they are yet...

Reimu....I highly recommend you stick a cam in the car, it will move your performance needle more to the left. More on that in a bit...

Pauly, your posts really moved the turbo conversation this past year, thanks for that....

Severe thunderstorms yesterday afternoon prevented me from going out, I'll try to get the video up today and I'm trying for a dyno tomorrow...

About camshafts. They don't really get the love they deserve...this WebCam, coupled with the 3D map, really delivers the low-mid torque and breath-ability necessary to achieve maximum performance in higher flow turbos. It makes up for lag quite a bit and keeps transition silky smooth. I did not want an 'on/off switch', I have that in my 930. I believe it's a must when upgrading. I might go so far as to say lift and duration, coupled with timing, is precisely how Porsche detuned the 951 performance characteristics so as not to compete with the 930. I notice that Blown944 is also experimenting with camshafts for his monster build....

Last edited by White_951; 10-07-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:43 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by White_951

As for the new oil cooler and intercooler, the hood is very noticeably cooler when opening it after a full run, that is I used to need a rag to grab the hood and today it wasn’t necessary.

I am a little lost here. I would think if the intercooler was working BETTER then your hood would be hotter? Why? If you take more heat out of the intake air, it has to go somewhere. The somewhere is the air moving through it and back in the area in front of the engine, which would make the hood hotter, not colder.

Have you put any thermocouples into in/out of the IC and seen if you are getting cooler air?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:06 AM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Refresh 951 looked to have good spoolup and it wasn't much later than the K26/6. I thought he used the same turbo as you.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:51 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanaT
I am a little lost here. I would think if the intercooler was working BETTER then your hood would be hotter? Why? If you take more heat out of the intake air, it has to go somewhere. The somewhere is the air moving through it and back in the area in front of the engine, which would make the hood hotter, not colder.

Have you put any thermocouples into in/out of the IC and seen if you are getting cooler air?
I would suggest that it is the larger volume of transfer capacity that maintains a cooler hood....that is, the stock intercooler saturates it's capacity to cool and the intercooler itself is the source of concentrated heat...the larger intercooler with it's capacity to discharge heat more readily, and therefore not becoming a saturated 'heat sink' so to speak, creates a cooler operating environment...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:51 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by White_951
74Gold - I spent months of research... I was of course drawn to all the new technology, such as the GTX stuff, but in the end I couldn't see much difference in performance....
You wouldn't say that if you installed it. The difference is magical. Instead of a GT30R, I would have bought a GTX28R. But don't think I'm knocking your turbo. If it's a duall BB center housing, you're still running a great trubo. Ditch the shimmed wastegate and get a Tail Dual port.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:33 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
You wouldn't say that if you installed it. The difference is magical. Instead of a GT30R, I would have bought a GTX28R. But don't think I'm knocking your turbo. If it's a duall BB center housing, you're still running a great trubo. Ditch the shimmed wastegate and get a Tail Dual port.
Next thing on my list....
Old 10-07-2012, 03:51 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

How did you choose this cam? I have heard of it before but I am aware that there are other options (though I have no idea how they differ). Can you just swap the cam or do you need to make other changes to the valvetrain?
Old 10-07-2012, 04:39 PM
White_951
Rennlist Member

This car was originally built for the PO by Gulf Performance, a well known 951 builder down here...they installed a 26/8, Webcam with hydraulic lifters and sent the head out for work by 901 Shop. Coupled with the stock AFM the car was an excellent street racer...when I picked it up for a DE car I needed different characteristics and this thread was part of my research:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...cam-274-a.html
Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

videossss
Old 11-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Will Feather
Three Wheelin'

Is this turbo no longer available? I have been trying to find a 60-1 for a while..
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turbonetics and Garrett still make them, you can get one that will bolt straight on from Lindsey (the LR 61).

Quick Reply: 60-1+WebCam+Rogue M-Tune+Headwork…Initial Feedback…