Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:12 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
Sid you numbers are very interesting.

TMS 420 hp and 112 (lighter than me)
DanaT 355 and 110 (just heavier than me)

That evening I weighed in at 3305 with me in car. I think you are 200-300 lighter than me (I can probably drop 100lbs quickly..take the spare, inflator, tools, etc out of the trunk)

Is it not strange that a car with 420hp and at probably at 300lbs lighter ran barely faster mph than I did?

My conclusion is that the dyno used my TMS was optimistic.

You cant BS the mph in a quarter mile
My point exactly but I'm not goign to call anyone out on their dyno numbers.

Like I said, the DYNO almost always reads higher than teh trap speed dictates it to be.

at 3305 yours shows 345hp
Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry,just interested in the power curve.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:41 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
My point exactly but I'm not goign to call anyone out on their dyno numbers.

Like I said, the DYNO almost always reads higher than teh trap speed dictates it to be.

at 3305 yours shows 345hp
Right in the ballpark.

Temp / altitude / etc affect numbers. I think bandimere is somewhat higher than longmont. Could have been a hotter day too.

I would say +/- 10hp is reasonably good.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:47 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Originally Posted by thingo
Sorry,just interested in the power curve.
So sorry Rod. I'm just used to these dyno debates I guess.

I'll get one pretty soon. But I can promise you this; it will not look anything like a Honda or DSM. Considering I ran 115 on 12 psi (which is around 370 hpish probably a decent amount over 400 tq given these cars) and I hit 12 psi just after 3000 rpms the torque curve should be pretty flat.

That is one thing I will give up to a dyno. Adjusting timing and AFRs to help torque curve.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:48 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

I think for me a "cheap" way to gain some extra speed is a few things:

Loose 100lbs of dead weight in the car. Unloading trunk = free. Probably some lightweight seats instead of the million way adjustable recaros would help.

Beyond that I need to try harder to lose weight.

Then I think my next limit is fueling. I think I am maxed out on stock pump. I could increase fuel and it did not richen things up. To take of this issue...i have a -044 fuel pump on my desk here in germany that is coming home with me (this should be FUN with tsa. A vacuum packed device with some oil surrounding it in the package)

Then I want to get my E85 / gasoline drivevability issues sorted out. I have no drivability issues with gasoline, E85 and I am always screwing with it to keep the AFR correct.

What has piqued my curiosity is the zeitronix E85 analyzer. It outputs alcohol content as a voltage and fuel temp as voltage. Adding this seems like "holy grail" of real world E85 street for us.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:50 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Right in the ballpark.

Temp / altitude / etc affect numbers. I think bandimere is somewhat higher than longmont. Could have been a hotter day too.

I would say +/- 10hp is reasonably good.

I'd say very good considering what you see out of most. He is obviously pretty well dialed into the air here.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:52 AM
blown 944
Race Car

I think for me a "cheap" way to gain some extra speed is a few things:

Loose 100lbs of dead weight in the car. Unloading trunk = free. Probably some lightweight seats instead of the million way adjustable recaros would help.

Beyond that I need to try harder to lose weight.

Then I think my next limit is fueling. I think I am maxed out on stock pump. I could increase fuel and it did not richen things up. To take of this issue...i have a -044 fuel pump on my desk here in germany that is coming home with me (this should be FUN with tsa. A vacuum packed device with some oil surrounding it in the package)

Then I want to get my E85 / gasoline drivevability issues sorted out. I have no drivability issues with gasoline, E85 and I am always screwing with it to keep the AFR correct.

What has piqued my curiosity is the zeitronix E85 analyzer. It outputs alcohol content as a voltage and fuel temp as voltage. Adding this seems like "holy grail" of real world E85 street for us.
I personally think you should talk to Josh. He has it pretty well dialed in. And you can use my lean burn maps and get over 25 MPG too on the highway.

I never have to touch anything for driving around. Actually I hardly mess with anything at the track.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Nothing an angle grinder cannot fix
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Actually Sid, I'm very pleased that as a sideline to your drag racing you've discussed power figures that correlate to mph and more or less render dyno chart numbers obsolete. To add, what would be more interesting is to compare various charts to those that have actually done a few 1/4 passes and see just how much variation they get from their dyno figures. I would like to add to the data but certain actions have caused delays. I'm curious as to our dyno figures down here and just what mph our cars would do.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I'm curious as to our dyno figures down here and just what mph our cars would do.
Here. I thought I would post a dyno graph that you can directly compare to what you are used to seeing. This should make it much easier to compare American and Australian dyno charts to one another.

Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I am looking forward to see how far you push the envelope Sid. I too am planning a 3+ Liter build based around your design concept over the winter. A bit tamer version for sure.

Also, I would love to see a dyno sheet on your motor just for comparison reasons. I have no doubts that your car makes incredible power, you has proved that. I would just love to see the torque curve.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

By the way, what are you doing then with your current 2.8L? Selling it, converting it, or putting in something else?
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

wow, those dyno charts from 'down under' are a little difficult to read!

On a serious note, I like your bore/stroke better. 103/93 works better for turbocharging than the stock 100/76.

I think you're giving up some power with the low comp ratio given the high amount of timing you're using, and the late spoolup of the turbo, and the raised rev limits.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

What do/will you use for ignition?

Trust you know you need to be careful about getting oil to the lifters with small base circles.

Stock headers and intake?

Any plans for stregthening the bottom end -- things can get squirrely down there at very high power levels, especially if you wil be racing it and not just doing a few dyno runs at that level. There are some lower stud options out there...
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM
95ONE
Race Car

SId, not to throw you off, but I completely agree with your horsepower calculation statements. LOL!

Sounds like a solid dragstrip motor Sid. I have no doubt you'll make the goal.

Patrick.. That was hilarious.

Quick Reply: Next years goal... 750 true RWHP