Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing steering rack-HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 AM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing steering rack-HELP!!

I am replacing my power steering rack on my 87 951. I have done this procedure on threee other cars and this one is being a bitch. I can not get the steering shaft claqmp to go down over the rack splined shaft. I have tried evrything that Clark's Garage has to offer. It will just barely fit over the top and nothing will get it on down, I've spread the clamp. I've been on this 1 minute job for two days now.also noticed my left motor mount is conmpletely gone, but didn't know it was that bad. I've had new ones for months.
I don't want to, but can you get to all this easier from above if you remove the Turbo Charger? I took mine off coupla years ago to fix some oil leaks and if its any thing like my 924S it should make matters easier. Tghe older I get 962) the less I like getting under the hood of this car. 951= 6 lbs hamburger in a 2 lb package.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Starting with the basics, are you sure the splines are the same as the ones that came out? Have you removed the pinch bolt entirely from the car? Tried wiggling the steering wheel while installing?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:04 PM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Take a wire brush like a battery terminal cleaner and scrub the inside spines.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:05 PM
J1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a rubber mallet.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:07 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Starting with the basics, are you sure the splines are the same as the ones that came out?
Heh now wouldn't THAT be a bitch?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 645 Likes on 499 Posts

remove the 4 bolts holding rack to crossmember, pry open the spline joint a bit. slide splines together, re-bolt to crossmember
Old 10-05-2012, 12:39 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I will try these suggesions. I wondered about the splins. About to put old rack back in an just strong arm it. It didnt leak
Old 10-05-2012, 01:37 PM
chrly924s
Three Wheelin'

This is an AutoZone unit. I put one in a buddy's car about 2 yrs ago and had the same problem. Took me a week of trying just to get it down to where I could get the bolt barely thru. It scraped the heat shield. My old unit was a nice used on eI bought from someone for the purpose of resealing. While its never leaked in 3 yrs, it has had quirks ta\hat included a slight catch when turning left right at center, then it did a kick back one time and I had perfect steering for about 6 months. Then one night I lost left turn assist all at once and almost climbed an 18" curb. I finally took the belt off and drove it til the AutoZone unit came in.
What would be the problem with taking the center of the old unit out and putting it in the new unit. At least those splines fit right in.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:01 PM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

You haven't fitted the rack to the cross member before fitting the steering column by any chance ?
Old 10-07-2012, 09:20 AM
crooster
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The pinch bolt needs to be totally removed. I struggled with this for a bit before realizing.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:33 PM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the same experience... Honestly, I've had the rack out and back in to a 944/951 probably a dozen times, and it's never been difficult. The last time I did it though, I took my rack out, resealed it, and went to put the SAME ONE back in, and couldn't get the shaft coupler over the splines on the input of the rack. I tried for hours, until I couldn't lift my arms... I went and got my room mate to help. He tried for hours and couldn't get it to work. It got dark and we gave up. Went back to it the next day and decided that one of us should hold the steering wheel lightly (just to keep the shaft from spinning) and the other would try to put it together, so I went under there, lined everything up (just like I'd done the day before) and gave it a push, and it just fell together. I don't know what was different the second day, except that I had my buddy holding the steering wheel so that the shaft didn't spin on me.

Also, FWIW, before you go so far as to pulling the turbo, the alternator is easier to pull, and it should give you plenty of room to grab the shaft from above.

And, make sure that you don't have the rack bolted to the cross member while you're trying to do all this... I don't think it can be done that way.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Replacing steering rack-HELP!!