Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Snapped an RE trailing arm bolt.. *UPDATE* With better pictures

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 08:53 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

SLAMMED!!!

Please come back to us with what Karl's assessment is Jason.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
SLAMMED!!!

Please come back to us with what Karl's assessment is Jason.

Riddin on BUMPstops!

Can do Patrick

Last edited by jasonlp; 09-30-2012 at 10:43 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:45 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Time to downgrade to the original rubber bushings so you can use the factory lower shock bolt
Old 09-30-2012, 09:49 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by s14kev
Time to downgrade to the original rubber bushings so you can use the factory lower shock bolt
No thanks! OE is not safe enough for track abuse and potholes without Tbars

I bought a spare set of RE bolts should be good unless analysis is bad and it wasn't just a one off event.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:50 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First... not that it really matters now, the rear bottom shock mount is supposed to be mounted such that the shock body is away from the trailing arm. That's why it's offset. Yours is backwards.

The reason is to get clearance between the shock collar & spring and the trailing arm.

The stiffer spring, the bigger the OD, the more clearance needed.

No matter... this isn't the reason for the failure. I'm just point this out.

Personally... unless you're fully converted to a solid spherical suspension, there's no real reason to run those lower shock mounts. And even if you were converted to a solid spherical suspension, the benefit from that lower shock mount is probably never going to be realized.

That said... I run the rubber bottom mount with a grade 12.8 bolt with zero issues.

TonyG
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TonyG
First... not that it really matters now, the rear bottom shock mount is supposed to be mounted such that the shock body is away from the trailing arm. That's why it's offset. Yours is backwards.

The reason is to get clearance between the shock collar & spring and the trailing arm.

Personally... unless you're fully converted to a solid spherical suspension, there's no real reason to run those lower shock mounts. And even if you were converted to a solid spherical suspension, the benefit from that lower shock mount is probably never going to be realized.

That said... I run the rubber bottom mount with a grade 12.8 bolt with zero issues.

TonyG
Only fits one way for me and that's offset out otherwise it pushes the collar against the trailing arm, no choice about it.

Minus the top eye in the rear shocks it's fully spherical suspension.

Last edited by jasonlp; 10-01-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG

TonyG
same here. You doing something wrong if they dont fit like its suppose to
Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reno808
same here. You doing something wrong if they dont fit like its suppose to
Well, I'll have another chance after the bolt gets drilled out but I remember them only wanting to fit one way, hopefully my memory is wrong and not something else.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I've been running a grade 12.9 bolt as my lower shock bolt for 6 years of track duty. Stiffer springs than you're running and my T-bars are only adding minimal force. No issues in my car. I'll spin each bolt on occasion looking for bending but so far I'm on the original set.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:37 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonlp
Well, I'll have another chance after the bolt gets drilled out but I remember them only wanting to fit one way, hopefully my memory is wrong and not something else.
hopefully you installed it incorrectly so you can it blame on that. Instead of trying to figure out what happened if you know what i mean
Old 10-01-2012, 12:58 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reno808
hopefully you installed it incorrectly so you can it blame on that. Instead of trying to figure out what happened if you know what i mean
I hope so too.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Deja vu all over again … sort of:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...roke-bolt.html

As I recall the bolt screws into a steel insert, cast into the banana arm. That steel insert may not be designed to handle the extra axial (pulling) load well enough, so with time the bolt may lose some tension, loosening it. Once that happen the 14mm stud with threads is not strong enough to handle the extra bending moment from the weight of the car.
In other words, check the torque of the bolt after some use and re-tighten if necessary.

Also, the larger the diameter of the contact area, the less the peak stress in the material, so the custom bolt design is far from optimal with respect to strength.

Laust
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

No thanks! OE is not safe enough for track abuse and potholes without Tbars
The H&R RSS Clubsport coilovers (850lb/in) have full TUV approval, using the factory bolt and no Tbars...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:58 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had (sort of) the same issue, mine bent. They were the supplied mounts with JIC Cross coilovers.
Being an engineer, I determined the base of the mount (where it mates with the arm) was insufficient diameter to use the threaded section solely in tension, with the resulting bending moment causing failure. The mount in the picture looks like fatigue failure to me, caused by the same condition.
My fix was to fabricate new mounts (shouldered studs really) with a base circle matching the diameter of the boss on the arm, and with a longer threaded section. I bottom tapped the arm to match the new threaded length, and potted the part in the hole with epoxy (JB Weld) to prevent fretting.
I made the parts from 4130 and heat treated them to Rc 43, hard enough for high tensile strength, but tough enough to prevent brittle fracture.
5 racing seasons later with 850 pound springs - no problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Maybe you have to swap out the left side shock and install it on the right side. The offset may correspond then. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: Snapped an RE trailing arm bolt.. *UPDATE* With better pictures