Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FS> New Vision Motorsports Rear 951 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
Hi Tony, looking at the geometry (raised outer pivot) I would have expected this to lower rear roll centre, not raise it? Or have I missed something?

http://www.e30m3project.com/e30m3per...r/outer_up.gif

Cheers,
Mike
Originally Posted by TonyG
I'm backwards.... it seems :-)

TonyG

Easy to get mixed up. The mounting points are RAISED. the Roll center is lowered. I think I've screwed up saying that a couple times.

Tony... I'm working on a center shock / pushrod set up.. No ****. Not to be on the car anytime soon. But I can make you one if you want for the stock style rear arm. The piece I'm making might actually work well with your new shocks though.

It's such an easy thing to do to tell you the truth. The new lamborghini did it so terribly too. !!! My piece will be be a cnc'd aluminum cross bar that will just need a couple brackets to weld on either side that the aluminum piece will bolt to. You can add an anti dive bar in there also. Almost a sway bar, but not quite. Bell cranks are easy to make and can make the effective rate of the shocks completely adjustable by moving bolt locations! Height adjustment is just a quick turn of the wrench away. It's a beautiful thing. I will try to make it somewhat affordable.

Here is the
Old 09-21-2012, 12:17 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

What's the assembled weight of that whole unit, Tony?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Easy to get mixed up. The mounting points are RAISED. the Roll center is lowered. I think I've screwed up saying that a couple times.

Tony... I'm working on a center shock / pushrod set up.. No ****. Not to be on the car anytime soon. But I can make you one if you want for the stock style rear arm. The piece I'm making might actually work well with your new shocks though.

It's such an easy thing to do to tell you the truth. The new lamborghini did it so terribly too. !!! My piece will be be a cnc'd aluminum cross bar that will just need a couple brackets to weld on either side that the aluminum piece will bolt to. You can add an anti dive bar in there also. Almost a sway bar, but not quite. Bell cranks are easy to make and can make the effective rate of the shocks completely adjustable by moving bolt locations! Height adjustment is just a quick turn of the wrench away. It's a beautiful thing. I will try to make it somewhat affordable.

Here is the

I'm doing an entire GT3 rear suspension. The reason is the multi-link setup and the ability to keep the inside rear wheel parallel the ground then the car rolls over (which the 951 suspension simply can't do).

And I'm really only doing this because the rear of the car is already a tube frame, so it's relatively easy to do at this stage.

I'm not doing the pushrods / rockers. The cost vs the amount of unsprung weight vs the performance advantage just doesn't make sense for the non-professional racing that I do.

So it's gonna be straight GT3. It will probably be done next week. I'm already picking up the parts tomorrow to do it.

Hang on....... this **** is a wild ride.....

TonyG
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
What's the assembled weight of that whole unit, Tony?
What whole unit? The GT3 rear suspension? If so... I have no ideal :-)

It's not about the weight anyway (even though it's all aluminum....)

TonyG
Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You want RS uprights front and rear. Huge improvement over GT3.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
You want RS uprights front and rear. Huge improvement over GT3.
Why so? I asked Dwain about it and he said to use GT3. I didn't question it.

What's the difference?

TonyG
Old 09-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Different pick up points for the suspension. Improved roll centers. It was made t correct the suspension geometry at lowered ride heights. We installed these on a lot of standard 996 cars. Noticeable difference immediately.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Get one and compare left to right, you'll see.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Different pick up points for the suspension. Improved roll centers. It was made t correct the suspension geometry at lowered ride heights. We installed these on a lot of standard 996 cars. Noticeable difference immediately.
Don't think this will be an issue here though when you're customizing it and setting the the mounting points to the chassis correctly for the specified ride height.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:01 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by TonyG
I'm doing an entire GT3 rear suspension. The reason is the multi-link setup and the ability to keep the inside rear wheel parallel the ground then the car rolls over (which the 951 suspension simply can't do).

And I'm really only doing this because the rear of the car is already a tube frame, so it's relatively easy to do at this stage.

I'm not doing the pushrods / rockers. The cost vs the amount of unsprung weight vs the performance advantage just doesn't make sense for the non-professional racing that I do.

So it's gonna be straight GT3. It will probably be done next week. I'm already picking up the parts tomorrow to do it.

Hang on....... this **** is a wild ride.....

TonyG

That's pretty awesome. I can't wait for the pics. Now ..... When I come out there to race, you will have no excuses!! - I'm sure I'll have many though.. LOL> Making a trip to California and playing around on the track sounds like a blast. It has priority.. right behind finishing the car of course.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Landjet
Burning Brakes

Tony all I can say is your a MAD MAD man. It will be fun to see what you can do back on the track when it's complete.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:39 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

BUMP

To SWEETEN up the deal....

I'll throw in a set of Racer's Edge l rear control arm spherical joints! These are expensive!

So you get the complete new Vision Motorsport rear suspension, the solid mounts for the rear suspension, and a set of Racer's Edge rear control arm spherical joints!!!!

TonyG

Quick Reply: FS> New Vision Motorsports Rear 951 Suspension