Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

TonyG > Feeler for selling my red 951 LS6 street/track car complete..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyG
Mine is registered and insured... street legal with plates.

Is yours?

So what are the specs on your car? I remember you had big brakes. Did you get aftermarket ABS?

TonyG
No mine is a trailer queen on slicks, not registered on road tyres - you got me there!

S2 gearbox with turbo fifth and Guard 50/80, solid mount with big external oil cooler and tilton gbox pump.
Factory ABS with big brakes (Stoptech)
Racers Edge hubs, control arms, spherical joints and solid bushings everywhere, Motons, tarret bars
Glass front end, lexan hatch and side windows
Front and rear Aero, custom CCW 11inch fronts and 12 inch rears.
Custom PWR radiator with built in oil cooler. BMW electric power steering pump
Lots of podium finishes..yada yada

Can't say I can run with anything naturally aspirated that Porsche sells today, but can say 'almost'.

I'm missing 100hp and a fair bit of torque of course I figure with a similar motor to what you are running the car would be a similar weight and able to run similar performance.

I am usually not far off cup car times when I can get setup properly. I keep looking at your car as one of the few V8 conversions actually racing at a semi serious level and it definitely has me thinking about the benefits of a swap.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:02 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to see some more detail photos of the Dubai 944. It sounds like we all have similar stuff.

Kokeln rear suspension, sways, trans mount, shifter
Moton
Racers edge hubs, sphericals
14" rotors 928S4 calipers, tilton bias, tilton masters
951 trans w/S2 Motorsport Ring & Pinion with tilton pump and GT DIFF
Plexi rear, front and quarter (plus sides when race legal)
aero front and rear

It's a common recipe for quick.

We should share some data on set up and aero. It's not like we are going to meet up at a race, in the same class anyway.

I selfishly would like to see a part out of the original Tony monster. Spares!
Attached Images  

Last edited by disasterman; 09-19-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

^^ Great Picture. I notice a lot of the American classes allow you to run your wings so high. Most FIA classes you can only run body profile confines i.e. within the roof height and not behind rear bumper extremity. in Dubai they would place a giant level on the top of the car and I saw people fail scrutineering for having the wing just a couple of mm too high. Some guys let their rear tyre pressures down just to pass
Old 09-19-2012, 02:23 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What BMW electric power steering pump did you use?

I'm getting rid of the hydraulic assist and if I can get a good electric power steering pump, I can then just get rid of the conventional power steering pump that I now use.

And yeah.... the V8 will get you there. It sorta evens things out since they have sequential 6 speed boxes. I shift once for every 2 of their shifts :-)

Power wise, the car is dead nuts even with a new cup car down the straights.

What really screws with their heads is that it's a street car 944 that either beat them or almost beat them. You should see the looks on their faces in impound after a race. Then If I really want to mess with them.... I wait till they leave, then pass them in their rigs on the highway driving the red 944 home...... ahhhhhh I love it.

TonyG

Originally Posted by Dubai944
No mine is a trailer queen on slicks, not registered on road tyres - you got me there!

S2 gearbox with turbo fifth and Guard 50/80, solid mount with big external oil cooler and tilton gbox pump.
Factory ABS with big brakes (Stoptech)
Racers Edge hubs, control arms, spherical joints and solid bushings everywhere, Motons, tarret bars
Glass front end, lexan hatch and side windows
Front and rear Aero, custom CCW 11inch fronts and 12 inch rears.
Custom PWR radiator with built in oil cooler. BMW electric power steering pump
Lots of podium finishes..yada yada

Can't say I can run with anything naturally aspirated that Porsche sells today, but can say 'almost'.

I'm missing 100hp and a fair bit of torque of course I figure with a similar motor to what you are running the car would be a similar weight and able to run similar performance.

I am usually not far off cup car times when I can get setup properly. I keep looking at your car as one of the few V8 conversions actually racing at a semi serious level and it definitely has me thinking about the benefits of a swap.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

^^ Haha, Gold! That would be funny to see the looks on their faces. I see the trailer as the line in the sand. Or for us a roll cage pretty much means you can't drive to and from track or on street unless you get special car registrations. I think that level where you drive to the track, have a great day with your friends and drive home is a special feeling. Seems so long ago...
Old 09-19-2012, 07:34 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I would appreciate some input from you guys since we are running similar set ups if you don't mind the slight thread interruption.

See trans I am currently running above. What are your thoughts about gearing etc. My gear set is on it's last legs and need make a move this off season.

Thanks
Old 09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TonyG
What BMW electric power steering pump did you use?

I'm getting rid of the hydraulic assist and if I can get a good electric power steering pump, I can then just get rid of the conventional power steering pump that I now use.

TonyG
This is a previous post I made on the electric pump for info:

The pump I am using is a BMW mini pump labelled EHPS R50 bought as a new part from BMW. Heres a pic of where it's mounted;

This is how you wire it up:

Brown is chasis ground, (terminal 1 of connector x13441).
This goes to the chassis of your vehicle.

Red goes to fuse fl4, (terminal 2 of connector x13441).
This goes to a 100 amp fuse.

Green/white goes to fuse f39, (terminal 1 of connector x6975). This goes to an ignition fed fuse rated at 15 amps.

Yellow goes to alternator circuit, (terminal 2 of connector x6975 It splices with the black/yellow off of terminal 1 at the alternator. This one must splice into you alternator as described above.
Violet/white is the data line. It is terminal 3 of connector x6975. You can leave this one out.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
^^ Haha, Gold! That would be funny to see the looks on their faces. I see the trailer as the line in the sand. Or for us a roll cage pretty much means you can't drive to and from track or on street unless you get special car registrations. I think that level where you drive to the track, have a great day with your friends and drive home is a special feeling. Seems so long ago...
When I built my car originally in Dubai I never cancelled the registration so although it was undriveable on the road it still had plates for nearly a year. One weekend the tow truck driver was late so rather than miss the race I bolted the plates on and drove to the track. Open race exhaust, 1200lb springs, fully stickered and slicks rolling down the main 6 lane freeway in Dubai...lol

Scared the heck out of everyone on the road but made it to the track on time. In Australia I would have been arrested of course!
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 PM
74goldtarga
Pro

Received 142 Likes on 73 Posts

Tony, did you ever get the Boxster ABS dialed in on that car?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by disasterman
I would appreciate some input from you guys since we are running similar set ups if you don't mind the slight thread interruption.

See trans I am currently running above. What are your thoughts about gearing etc. My gear set is on it's last legs and need make a move this off season.

Thanks
Jim

I would have assumed the stock 951 gearing to be pretty good for a V8 based platform. Although Tony might be able to give you a better idea. Pretty sure he's run both stock and S2 or stock with S2 r&p.
With a flat torque curve, the less changing of gears should be faster, yes?
Old 09-20-2012, 12:58 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Originally Posted by disasterman

Thanks

The question is... what's the highest speed mph you run on the tracks you run on?

Answer me that and I'll tell you what to run.

TonyG
Old 09-20-2012, 03:05 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony, I hope you can sell it whole. It would be a shame to break up all that work. GLWS no matter what you do.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:25 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

I currently have enough gear for every track I currently run. My concern is Miller Motorsports Park for next years Nationals. I will have to do some research and look at my gear chart for that one.

My question on gearing related more to the best utilization of the power band. I like the motorsport S2 R&P with the 951 gearing and GT DIFF but have nothing to compare it to.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I built my car originally in Dubai I never cancelled the registration so although it was undriveable on the road it still had plates for nearly a year. One weekend the tow truck driver was late so rather than miss the race I bolted the plates on and drove to the track. Open race exhaust, 1200lb springs, fully stickered and slicks rolling down the main 6 lane freeway in Dubai...lol

Scared the heck out of everyone on the road but made it to the track on time. In Australia I would have been arrested of course!
HAHA nice
Old 09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

This is a previous post I made on the electric pump for info:

The pump I am using is a BMW mini pump labelled EHPS R50 bought as a new part from BMW. Heres a pic of where it's mounted;

This is how you wire it up:

Brown is chasis ground, (terminal 1 of connector x13441).
This goes to the chassis of your vehicle.

Red goes to fuse fl4, (terminal 2 of connector x13441).
This goes to a 100 amp fuse.

Green/white goes to fuse f39, (terminal 1 of connector x6975). This goes to an ignition fed fuse rated at 15 amps.

Yellow goes to alternator circuit, (terminal 2 of connector x6975 It splices with the black/yellow off of terminal 1 at the alternator. This one must splice into you alternator as described above.
Violet/white is the data line. It is terminal 3 of connector x6975. You can leave this one out.
Where do the hydraulic lines connect?

TonyG

Quick Reply: TonyG > Feeler for selling my red 951 LS6 street/track car complete..