Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951: MAF/AFM not allowing engine to run or Idle...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey frank did you figure anything out?!?!?! im having the same problem but im getting no output on the yellow wire while idling with the quad maf installed.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:37 AM
homerj
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

was gonna ask same question. i have a different maf setup but lately car will run great and i go in and get lunch come out and will start, no idle and if i step on gas falls flat on face. if i hold over 3k rpms car runs and after 15 mins works everything out. i was thinking my maf was starting to die
Old 09-25-2013, 12:53 AM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

It took months to get the quad maf running right on my 86. If you remove it from the car and hook up usb to a laptop can you connect and write the map files? I think I am an expert after 20 tunings that did not work.. yay, 21 did work perfect after dialing back fuel!

When doing the 5v to 12v dme power wire cut I also added the lr max chips. Not sure if I would have used any other chipset as Dave setup for my specific turbo. The maf voltage off the quad is running to a tiny 5v gauge in the car to help diagnose tuning while driving.. off yellow wire.

Some of the stock maps on the quad selectors do not idle car, like 1-5, but #6 was closest to up and running using stock file. If the power voltage to the quad is suspect.. and not giving power voltage I would test from the dme connector and not trust the harness wire if you did not wire it up.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM
travisgreen
Pro

I think I figured mine out. I did the same thing he did, I wanted to see if the maf was the problem so I swapped back the afm but forgot to go back to 5v instead of 12 and it caused problems. I sent the maf out to be checked and checked out good. my kit is not even 2 weeks old but I think I narrowed it down to the pigtail that comes with the kit that's cheap and falling apart. you know, the one with the words "made in china" on the connector
Old 09-27-2013, 05:25 PM
travisgreen
Pro

well I got a new connector and got the MAF back from abaco. put it al in and ran GREAT, took it for a spin a few times and came back, went to start it again and the SAME DAMN thing is happening WTFFFFFFF
Old 09-27-2013, 11:38 PM
numbskull
Racer

Did you cut the original maf connector and crimp the wires for the abaco tail? I had an issue with crimps so had to clean the original wires really good and solder them. The wires were so old it took extra flux to get them to stick.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:58 PM
travisgreen
Pro

Yea I had them apart and checked about 10 times, bc I'm out of things to check so I find myself checking things I already did. What weird Is I noticed it idles perfect when the tps is unplugged. If I plug the tps in and unplug the temp sensor it surges but revs great for a few min before leaning out. I replaced the sensor, replaced tps. I'm stumped, I swapped dme I checked grounds. What's left???
Old 09-28-2013, 12:14 AM
numbskull
Racer

Are you 100% sure tps adjustment is perfect? It clicks when the throttle barely opens right? That and combo maf issue can make troubleshooting harder. So it is not idling now.. What map file and selector are you using on quad, custom tweaked or stock lr map file? If this a new install or existing that stopped working right?
Old 09-28-2013, 12:27 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Yeah tps is adjusted currently, this is a new install, It worked after instal then stopped after I shut it down. Sent maf out to get checked. After a week I got it back with a clean bill of health. Downloaded the map again bc I didn't know what they tested it on, installed and ran good. Stumbled at low rims pretty bad but it revved and pulled thru high rims. Started it and shut it down about 6 times within 30 min, then when I went to start it's doing the same thing all over agin. I downloaded a preset map that Dave told me
Old 09-28-2013, 12:28 AM
travisgreen
Pro

Map file 5' and the 5 the set on drop bar
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 AM
numbskull
Racer

Well my car had a few mods and stock 5 did not idle. Try 6 and make sure its loaded. 6 idled for me but with my setup it was bogging down at 2.8v and could not get boost. I can send you the file I use which runs my car perfect. Its a very modified #7 map with leaner 3v range. If it helps your car idle then hopefully it is just tuning and not components. What have you used to tune the volt range anyway? Pm me you email address.

Quick Reply: 951: MAF/AFM not allowing engine to run or Idle...