Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dyno charts of new Vette, McLaren, and 458

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 09:10 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arguments aside, one thing to consider about Germany (last I heard) is that you need to be at least 18 to drive, must pass very strict, multiple tests driving and written over a period of time, and must pay a considerable amount to get there. So maybe a bit more respect is given to owning and keeping a drivers license over there? They truly have to EARN a license.

- I love every requirement stated above.

Here in America, pass an extremely quick written test with 20 questions for retards and then pass a drivers test that just makes sure you won't die first time out.. then good luck to you and anyone else that has to drive with you.

- I am not pleased with any requirement stated above. I do remember getting my license and thinking how ridiculously easy it was. More drive time testing with emergency scenarios should have been implemented. Nothing was stressed about fast lanes, and slow lanes. (very few in Houston have any understanding of what that means) No one knows what side of the median to drive through when making a left or a U-turn. So few truly understand the very real and great danger when driving SLOWER than the speed limits when compared to driving faster. etc. etc.. mumbles and gripes and things and stuff.

Last edited by 95ONE; 09-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 AM
porshhhh951
Monkeys Removed by Request
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ehall
Doubtful. That McClaren is so fu#$ed with software nannies that it would almost certainly require McClaren to actually do the mods, not screw up the whole damned car.
They say that about every new platform and inevitably the tuners break it.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Thom
You don't get to see a lot of very fast car owners behaving like dicks here
You obviously have not seen Swiss drivers in Germany with powerful cars. They seem to have a total disregard for the speed limits on regulated sections of the Autobahns. Drive the A5 from Basel to Freiburg (its almost all 120kmh between there) to see what I mean.

Then there is NL (nur links) license plates. They seem to not be able to drive over 81kmh in the left lane for 200km. Lets not forget that guy with "F" license plate that seems to think that he is driving fast at 130kmh with his left turn signal on in the left lane for 100km...
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
I beat the GT's, ZR1's, pretty easily.

The GT's run around 115 the ZR1's run under 120. Tuned they barely may beat me in ET but not usually in mph.

I'm happy with my hoopty
Is yours stripped down any Sid or pretty close to stock curb weight?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:22 AM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

A lot of this depends upon the definition of a street car. Is a street car one you can fill at any gas station and then run, or is a street car one that requires special fuel?
Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Arguments aside, one thing to consider about Germany (last I heard) is that you need to be at least 18 to drive, must pass very strict, multiple tests driving and written over a period of time, and must pay a considerable amount to get there. So maybe a bit more respect is given to owning and keeping a drivers license over there? They truly have to EARN a license.
I think you have to be over 18 in the whole Europe to get a license. It costs the average student over $2000 to get the license. Then (at least in Sweden) you are on a test period for 2 years and if you do something stupid during that time you have to do the whole thing all over again to get your license back.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:55 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DanaT
You obviously have not seen Swiss drivers in Germany with powerful cars. They seem to have a total disregard for the speed limits on regulated sections of the Autobahns. Drive the A5 from Basel to Freiburg (its almost all 120kmh between there) to see what I mean.

Then there is NL (nur links) license plates. They seem to not be able to drive over 81kmh in the left lane for 200km. Lets not forget that guy with "F" license plate that seems to think that he is driving fast at 130kmh with his left turn signal on in the left lane for 100km...
As a regular user of the A5 I will confirm that the Swiss in powerful cars and the French in slow cars equally drive like dicks, for the most of them. Thankfully they get rarer the deeper you get in Germany. At least the Swiss look into their mirrors.
Anyway this only highlights the fact that many seem to forget the rules when they go abroad - if you were totally honest and had been in France you would also have added that many Germans seem to forget the concept of speed limit once they cross the border(s), same with UK drivers.

I won't blame Swiss drivers though - there are cameras everywhere in CH and driving a fast car there feels like walking on a tight rope over a pond full of sharks. I always respect speed limits in Germany and consider it a very reasonable trade off for having the freedom to go fast once I reach derestricted sections, but I can imagine the frustration of the average Swiss driver of a 500+ bhp car suddenly evaporating once he reaches the Autobahn.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:04 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

There are bad drivers everywhere and in all types of cars, no exceptions.
It would also be misleading talking about "Europe" in this sense since Europe is so extremely diversed and traffic and driving in southern Europe is very very different to northen Europe. And some parts of eastern Europe is probably the wost.

But as a whole, the few weeks I drove in the US I think I saw worse driving then I do in several years back home, but enough of all this off-topic
Old 09-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Thom
Race Car

The problem remains - does it make sense or does it add freedom when a country bans cars that go faster than the speed limits?
Old 09-10-2012, 11:34 AM
blitz951
Pro

I have spent lots of time driving in Europe and can tell you the drivers follow the rules much better then people in the USA. In fact, I am always happy to see the slow drivers move over for you compared Americans who go into the fast lane to go slow and hold up traffic or possibly are looking for an accident so they can get a legal case out of it.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:25 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

As a regular user of the A5 I will confirm that the Swiss in powerful cars and the French in slow cars equally drive like dicks, for the most of them. Thankfully they get rarer the deeper you get in Germany. At least the Swiss look into their mirrors.
Anyway this only highlights the fact that many seem to forget the rules when they go abroad - if you were totally honest and had been in France you would also have added that many Germans seem to forget the concept of speed limit once they cross the border(s), same with UK drivers.

I won't blame Swiss drivers though - there are cameras everywhere in CH and driving a fast car there feels like walking on a tight rope over a pond full of sharks. I always respect speed limits in Germany and consider it a very reasonable trade off for having the freedom to go fast once I reach derestricted sections, but I can imagine the frustration of the average Swiss driver of a 500+ bhp car suddenly evaporating once he reaches the Autobahn.
Thanks for admitting the absurdity of your two previous posts.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:25 PM
944meister
Pro

where i'm from about 90% of mustangs on the road are driven by women
Old 09-10-2012, 03:02 PM
DanaT
Three Wheelin'

The problem remains - does it make sense or does it add freedom when a country bans cars that go faster than the speed limits?
Don't think this hasn't happened.

In fact Europe has done it.

How fast is the top sped of an AMG E63? 155mph. Why?

How fast is the top speed on EVERY 1000cc + sportbike? 300kmh. Why? The European govts were not happy how fast motorcycles were getting (the push to break 320kmh) and told the mfgs if they didnt voluntarily limit speeds, the govts would.

That is also why most cars are limited to 250kmh.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:34 PM
Thom
Race Car

Yes it has happened, that's why I asked.

Even if some cars and bikes have their top speeds limited from the factory these top speeds are way higher than any of the speed limits existing.

Anyway, sorry for the OT.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:35 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by toddk911
Is yours stripped down any Sid or pretty close to stock curb weight?

Weighs 2940 with me in it.

Quick Reply: Dyno charts of new Vette, McLaren, and 458