Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

3 yr clutch job done...no start

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3 yr clutch job done...no start

Hello everyone I could really use some help, (86 951)

After a back injury, a stint of unemployment, and a relocation, the clutch job is finally complete...kind of. What a challenge, trying to pick up where I left off, thinking this was going to be a two week ordeal originally. Over the last 3 yrs I installed:

Clutchnet Sprung
KEP Stage II
Refinished flywheel
New bearings and hardware
New shifter bushings
Rebuilt control arm
55lb injectors
Guru Racing chips (bought it a while back)
Bosch 3 bar FPR
new fuel filter

In the last week I:
installed transmission, installed shift bushings and shifter, control arm
installed exhaust, intake, speed and reference sensors, fuel rail and new injectors, chips, fpr
I also siphoned the tank and replaced the fuel filter.

I cranked the engine by hand, after lubricating the cylinders overnight through the spark plug holes. It cranked freely and without resistance. The starter did not turn over, due to me forgetting to bolt down batt ground cable. After remedying the situation, my starter turns over, but car does not start.

I also notice tach does not bounce. I think I am getting fuel, as I cracked the supply line and a little bit of fuel came out...but not a whole lot. Fuel sending fuse is good to go. Where do I look next?? I gapped the speed sensor per Clark's, and color coded the sensor with the harness connector, but had to guess as to which sensor was which, since the tags had come off of the harness. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thank you much.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:12 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Start with the most simple, swap the speed and reference sensor plugs.. you may have gotten the 50/50 gamble wrong .
Old 09-02-2012, 02:58 AM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

Hahaha! The Clark's procedure does not speak anything of gap clearance for the reference sensor, just the speed sensor. Am I correct in assuming only the speed sensor gets gapped?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:41 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Yes, only the rear sensor is gapped. When set correctly the reference sensor will be right also.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:56 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agreed-- sounds like the S&R sensors to me.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:09 PM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

swapped connectors...no start and starter seemed a bit more labored. Still didn't hear fuel pump. I will re-gap and try again. I think my spacing is too far. My connector plugs look brittle, wiring harness not much better condition. Need to check for spark, and jump DME relay.

What is this sorcery I've read about waving a screwdriver in front of reference sensor to trigger the DME signal?

l just relocated from NV to NJ, and have to get this car in running condition. Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Well the reference sensor is basically a magnet so it will respond to anything metal waved infront of it, but not sure what good it would do?

Your check list is sound place to start though.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:48 PM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And don't wory about not hearing the fuel pump, as it won't turn on untill the dme sees >300 rpm (or somewhere thereabouts)... Once the speed sensor is detected (tach bounce, we are talking a little bounce not the needle jumping) the dme turns on the fuel pump to get things going!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Mayhem'sLV51
Advanced

YES!!! Houston, we have ignition!! I adjusted the sensors, and bam...started up and idled real rough in the low end... I am waiting on new intake manifold gaskets. Boy does that new clutch and KEP feel GOOD! Thanks for all the pointers and encouragement!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:32 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

i would also recommend getting your chips replaced. Go with either Rouge or Vitesse, cant go wrong with either.Glad to hear your got it fixed!

Quick Reply: 3 yr clutch job done...no start