Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ehhh weird over boost.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012 | 04:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
Paluy when i get home. I'll post which way to hook up the solenoid whether its single or dual port.
thanks.
Old 08-22-2012 | 10:39 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

i set it in single port today again. (3) to bottom wastegate (pressure) and (1) to boost how it says in the book.

on W/G spring it'll always reach 9.5 no matter what i do.
on my 17 psi setting it'll over boost when i accelerate at high RPM in 2nd only.

It still feels like as soon as the W/G opens it cannot regulate boost quick enough because the gate is open for a second then it cuts out.
I'll lower the opening of the gate to 10 psi or lower (which will be stock spring) and see how it acts.
Old 08-31-2012 | 03:12 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

No matter what i do it keeps overboosting in 2nd. i've lowered the SP value to 48 and GP (wastegate opens) to 11 psi and it still will hit 19 psi. it hit over boost protection and it said 16 psi on the eboost2 as maximum boost.
the outside temp was 7°C / 45°F
Old 08-31-2012 | 04:23 PM
bebbetufs
Burning Brakes

Is the WG dumping to atmosphere or tied back into the system? If it is tied back in you could try removing the exit pipe and see if dumping to atmosphere helps.

I found in my fab speed exhaust that hole drilled in the main pipe where the WG ties back in was about half the size as the WG pipe itself. This could cause back pressure problems. It sounds unlikely, but based on how you describe your problem it might be worth checking.
Old 08-31-2012 | 05:47 PM
JET951
Drifting

Have you tried a manual boost controller as of yet? The reason I ask is that we use to have trouble with EBC's holding consistent boost. For a street application it was fine as a little over boost wouldn't hurt but on the track it was very important to obtain reliable boost. We switched over to the black **** and have never looked back.
Sean
Old 08-31-2012 | 10:21 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bebbetufs
Is the WG dumping to atmosphere or tied back into the system? If it is tied back in you could try removing the exit pipe and see if dumping to atmosphere helps.

I found in my fab speed exhaust that hole drilled in the main pipe where the WG ties back in was about half the size as the WG pipe itself. This could cause back pressure problems. It sounds unlikely, but based on how you describe your problem it might be worth checking.
I've got a 3" straight exhaust with 2 blow through mufflers. separate waste gate dump pipe to the rear

Originally Posted by JET951
Have you tried a manual boost controller as of yet? The reason I ask is that we use to have trouble with EBC's holding consistent boost. For a street application it was fine as a little over boost wouldn't hurt but on the track it was very important to obtain reliable boost. We switched over to the black **** and have never looked back.
Sean
I haven't tried a MBC yet. I'll do it next time i drive it. I have used it to log mbc vs ebc boost curves and was pretty much the same.

My boost levels are pretty consistent just varies when it's cold it tends to rise ~.5 psi. each time i boost it would say ~17.5-18 psi. just getting on boost is the issue.
Old 09-02-2012 | 10:09 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Sorry Paulyy i have been slacking
Attached Images  
Old 09-02-2012 | 12:16 PM
95ONE
Race Car

RENO, is there a switch on the main boost controller box that you have to push up or down to tell it which configuration you plumbed those lines?
Old 09-04-2012 | 09:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks how i've been running mine. both ways. now it's in single port. By the looks of things, dual port seems more responsive to boost?

I read the manual and it says i should set the wastegate to open 5psi before full boost, some reason i thought it was 3 psi. (my mistake) But the problem is still there!! it will spike 18.5 and shut off. wont go higher then 18.7 psi (this is reading from the peak hold boost pressure from the eBoost2) it even shuts of at 16.7 psi when taking off at 4k in 2nd gear.
the chip set is set to ~18 psi.

everything else it all the same, same numnbers all the time.
Old 09-04-2012 | 09:39 AM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by Paulyy
By the looks of things, dual port seems more responsive to boost?
Offering a more responsive system is precisely the point of dual port.

My take on the whole issue is that it's not possible to have a turbo that both spools very well from low rpm under WOT and does not overshoot the boost target when the turbine is already being fed, at high rpm, with enough exhaust gasses not to require any assistance calculated and supplied from an EBC.

A solution I can see to this problem is to use a % trim 3D table with RPM and TPS as X and Y axis - you don't want the "Gain" in your EBC to mess up with how boost is built up when no actual "Gain" is needed at high rpm as the boost target can be reached in the blink of an eye.
Old 09-04-2012 | 09:56 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

the problem is with the gain, is if i have none or set it to low, that the wastegate will start bleeding off to quick into boost from low rpm.

having it set low help with over boosting in low gears but create more lag in the higher gears. i'll need to get logs to see how bad the spool gets of the gate is open earlier in 3rd & 4th gear.

Unless i have 2 settings (by switch) and have 1 gain higher and 1 gain lower..

If i have boost by gear i could eliminate the over boost totally. but not sure how to go about with the external micro switches.
Old 09-04-2012 | 09:59 AM
Thom
Race Car

Boost by gear won't solve the problem.

Either you choose a low value for Gain or a high one, but you can't have your cake and eat it without more inputs for boost control.

Or just throw away your EBC, plug a black **** in single port and call it a day
Old 09-04-2012 | 01:09 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
RENO, is there a switch on the main boost controller box that you have to push up or down to tell it which configuration you plumbed those lines?
No when i had my EBC and NO for the Link
Old 09-04-2012 | 01:09 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
the problem is with the gain, is if i have none or set it to low, that the wastegate will start bleeding off to quick into boost from low rpm.

having it set low help with over boosting in low gears but create more lag in the higher gears. i'll need to get logs to see how bad the spool gets of the gate is open earlier in 3rd & 4th gear.

Unless i have 2 settings (by switch) and have 1 gain higher and 1 gain lower..

If i have boost by gear i could eliminate the over boost totally. but not sure how to go about with the external micro switches.
have you tried a new solenoid?
Old 09-05-2012 | 05:40 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thom
Boost by gear won't solve the problem.

Either you choose a low value for Gain or a high one, but you can't have your cake and eat it without more inputs for boost control.

Or just throw away your EBC, plug a black **** in single port and call it a day
I want to keep the EBC so i can change boost levels with a switch. main reason why i bought it.

I was thinking if i get a larger waste gate it might help with regulating the exhaust gasses quicker? say if i go from 38mm to 45mm gate or even a 50mm gate.?

Quick Reply: ehhh weird over boost.