Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

How many studs to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012 | 09:00 AM
Turbo17
Instructor

Default How many studs to replace?

I've got the belts off my '86 951 without the spring tensioner, and might as well replace the tensioner studs. I can't recall how many it's normal to replace. Can anyone give me a list of recommended studs to replace. I see in Clark's Garage that the balance shaft tensioner stud is usually replaced, but what else?

Thanks.
Edit: While I'm in there - how about some advice on whether to replace the rollers themselves, and which ones to replace? I know they've got at least 90K miles on them. On one or two the roller bearing seems slightly looser than on the others. They spin well, but just aren't as tight as I'd like. Do I just replace them all with the studs? Any tips on deciding what to replace and how to decide if they need it would be sincerely appreciated.

Last edited by Turbo17; 08-15-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-16-2012 | 12:09 PM
Turbo17
Instructor

Originally Posted by Turbo17
Can anyone give me a list of recommended studs to replace. I see in Clark's Garage that the balance shaft tensioner stud is usually replaced, but what else?.
Well, in the absence of response, I ordered a single stud, as recommended by the Clark's Garage comments.

I know there are lots of you who have changed belts and some percentage must have had the cam tensioner, not the spring tensioner that came on the '87 and later. I'd love to skip changing the stud completely, for fear that it may break off as I try to get it out, but if it needs replacement (fear the original will break while in use as others have reported) I'm up for it.

I was thinking I'd use a heat gun on the stud, in case there's LocTite in there, then use two jam nuts to thread it out. Does that sound reasonable? Any tips for not breaking it off in the engine as I do this? I have had stud trouble in the past and I hate them!

Quick Reply: How many studs to replace?