Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just to put things into perspective...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Power and Grip. Acceleration peaks nearly .7Gs and cornering peaks of 2.2 to 2.3. Tough to get near that with a 951. You could probably match the acceleration with enough money spent on power and body lightening and a sequential box , but matching the grip levels would be hard without fundamental design changes to the suspension and aerodynamics. Even with the big sticky tyres, wide track and all the suspension mods and tuning my car runs 1.5 to 1.8G max in the corners, although it might be slightly up now with the new rear wing, haven't had a chance to measure it yet. Nothing like the acceleration of course.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, it's crazy to try and chase these guys. Be fun trying with a bottomle$$ pit of course. I did contemplate quite a lot of changes to my car inc suspension and full aero body but waaaay too much time and money for a plastic trophy and no advertising value for me. A shop that can on sell parts to the thousands of Evo customers out there might be able to justify some of the costs...not us little guys though.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:49 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Power and Grip. Acceleration peaks nearly .7Gs and cornering peaks of 2.2 to 2.3. Tough to get near that with a 951. You could probably match the acceleration with enough money spent on power and body lightening and a sequential box ,
I consistently logged .93 G's at the top of second gear and .75g's mostly through 3rd when accelerating. I logged these for at least a month. 1st gear and start of 2nd were next to nothing due to tire spin.

Another thing about G's, I ignore all the Spikes. They don't count. Are they doing the same?
Old 08-11-2012, 01:11 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Great acceleration, wish I had that! I agree about spikes, I get cornering spikes occasionally over 2G but 1.5 to 1.8 is my consistent range for cornering. I think that EVO is doing a bit better than that.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:24 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Dubai944
Great acceleration, wish I had that! I agree about spikes, I get cornering spikes occasionally over 2G but 1.5 to 1.8 is my consistent range for cornering. I think that EVO is doing a bit better than that.
Thank you. And yeah, I sounds like a meanie, but I question everything until I find out. You just helped confirm that that's what they are getting in a consistent manner, no spikes. Aero is so damn nice. I'm about to install a ton of it on my car this weekend without looking silly. Very interesting stuff though. Thanks for the input. EDIT: Those were spikes. It looks like a 1.5-1.7G's at lower speeds and a 1.7-1.9 in 2 spots at the higher speeds. Anything above that were quick spikes. None-the-less, more grip than I'm hoping for. Hoping for 1.5-1.7 max. Any higher is just gravy. I will be trying to get over -1g's in Braking though. My main concern at start will be deep braking and brake balancing. Then lower speed suspension balance. Then Aero Balance.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-12-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:01 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yes, it's crazy to try and chase these guys. Be fun trying with a bottomle$$ pit of course. I did contemplate quite a lot of changes to my car inc suspension and full aero body but waaaay too much time and money for a plastic trophy and no advertising value for me. A shop that can on sell parts to the thousands of Evo customers out there might be able to justify some of the costs...not us little guys though.
Tough call, your 951 outdated geometry and tub will not compete with an all out fully built racecar, nor modern tub car. cant really compare the two..

Originally Posted by 95ONE
Thank you. And yeah, I sounds like a meanie, but I question everything until I find out. You just helped confirm that that's what they are getting in a consistent manner, no spikes. Aero is so damn nice. I'm about to install a ton of it on my car this weekend without looking silly. Very interesting stuff though. Thanks for the input.

Be careful with that aero loading on a fast track is no toy .... !!!!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:09 PM
95ONE
Race Car

I don't have a huge amount of actual experience with real Aero. But I have read and can understand just how dynamic it makes a car handle. I will learn how to balance the Aero, then I will learn how to drive it. FUN stuff either way.

Last edited by 95ONE; 08-12-2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't think that's stock...
Old 08-12-2012, 05:54 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

lol...

Gotta love the side 'door'....
Old 08-12-2012, 06:43 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of the cars are for sure super expensive high end builds, but some of the cars are built on budget's that is no higher that some of our builds. It's always good to take in as much impressions and ideas as possible from proven builds no matter if it's a Nissan, a Mitsubishi, a BMW or a Porsche. At least if one wants to be fast! The day you get spanked both in a straight line AND in the corners, it's time to either build the car in another fashion or drop this whole 944 madness and move on
Old 08-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Oddjob
A little surprised at the safety equipment shown in the Scorch video above. No rollbar padding & angle of the shoulder belts.
Many of the Japanese time attack cars lack so much in the safety department. Tiny cages, improper fitting of safety equipment etc. It comes with the history of time attack as it started out with tuned street cars. Too bad to see that while they improved everything else on the car the safety stuff did get left behind..
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I was out there yesterday, the 'nemo' car was just on another level, pretty well every car was scraping the splitter under braking and noticeably 'porpoising' The winner was just a lot more stable/flat. It gave the impression it could take quite a bit more power, I think it was running about 800hp(not particularly high for 4G63)/1000kg.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:25 AM
95ONE
Race Car

Thingo, judging by its speeds at the end of the straight, It seems that it looks like it has horsepower when it doesn't. It has light weight and decent power of what I would say is close to 400-450 wheel? Very quick to accelerate but dies at top end. Indicative of high downforce or lower power or both. I'm guessing it weighs less than 2 thousand pounds. - 905 or less kilos. If it has more power, then those speeds at the top end of the straight is very disapointing.

Most time attack cars I've seen are driven by just exactly what you stated. Street "tuners" or "racers" who truly have no real world experience on a track, or are just into their 2nd or 3rd years of any kind of racing.

The magazine Sport Compact Car has had a competition for quite some time to get a best lap. Japan has been doing this sport a bit longer. And pretty much all of us fight for the lower lap time for forever now, but it's so very recent that it's being accepted by the larger Groups like NASA and SCCA. Under their heading, "Time Trials." This is exciting as there will be a true organization in this sport, unlike most of the smaller organized groups that are around today with not quite enough regulation and even less ability to enforce it.

Nemo is a clear example of the sport evolving, and I see that it might actually pick up speed and become a more popular way to race. It certainly won't ever beat wheel to wheel, but it is indeed strong.
Old 08-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

From what I've read the Nemo car weighs in at 9xx kg and were still on "low" boost at 23 psi for the record run.
Last year the Sierra Sierra did 299 km/h on the straight with 29 psi. They started a do or die run at 38 psi to reclaim 1st position but the gearbox broke. Kind of strange that a team with their budget didn't have a seq gearbox.

I was surprised to see Redbrick Racing from the UK not getting a better time than 1:35. They're a high end professional racing team and came with 3 different engines etc and the car was very well sorted and had lot's of testing in it (plus won the UK TA earlier this season). They should have picked up the settings for the new tires in Australia pretty quick one would think.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:05 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Originally Posted by Duke
From what I've read the Nemo car weighs in at 9xx kg and were still on "low" boost at 23 psi for the record run.
perfect.. So it does weigh in at around 2000 even. And typically 23psi on those engines is around 4XX hp. - nailed it.

Quick Reply: Just to put things into perspective...