Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Water from Vents!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
manticore33
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car did this too. You have a clogged AC drain. I cleared mine by removing the radio and looking for the rubber bit that connects to the torque tube tunnel (it comes out somewhere near the starter if I remember correctly). After I cleared it, the car took a good 5 minute leak in the driveway.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
You guys a re a bit exaggerate, it wasn't that much water there is no videos, but someone managed a snapshot of the cockpit water injection system by M'guinn Industries.
HAHAHA!!!!
Old 08-03-2012, 07:19 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

on a serious note, have you figured it out, Tom?
Old 08-03-2012, 09:33 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

You guys think I'm kidding but the water is pouring out... Video proof below...

Old 08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I was able to fix it, thanks all. I ended up pulling the console foward to get good access. The tube was fairly easy to get to once the console was pulled forward. To keep water from pouring out all over the place, I used a wet/dry shop vac to suck up the water as it came out after I pulled the hose off. Worked very well. The hose had chunks of dry crumbly foam in it along with dust and crud from 26 years of draining. It looked brand new after cleaning it out (I use a big zip tie to clean it - the square end did a good job of cleaning out the crud.) Pictures showing the tube and where it installed behind the radio, below...
Attached Images   
Old 08-04-2012, 04:17 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Acually, we didn't think you were kidding, at all. We had a pretty good Idea that your situation couldn't POSSIBLY be more awful, and many of us couldn't fix it. So, as we did what we do, with low ammo and too much stress; we laughed our asses off!

Believe me, not one of us was laughing at you, nor your predicament. That said, your 951 was like being the stunt driver for the old **** film, "Bikini CAR WASH"! Take one look and you get it straight up the snot locker!"
I don't know about lart...but I can guess...., when the crap hits the fan, and there is no immediate solution, you can laugh your *** off, or quit! I don't QUIT! Obviously we are alike! I'm glad you got it handled, and sorry that it happened, in the first place. This board doesn't have much chance of continuing to exist, without your experience and willingness to go out of your way to give the rest of us the experience and knowledge, that we MUST HAVE, to be able to afford to keep these cars on the road!
These are actually damned tough cars; but the price point has put them at a level that has, and continues to threaten, their legitimate value...NOT because there is anything AT ALL, wrong with the cars, and that they are even REMOTELY lesser Porsches, but because so many young, less experienced folk, (not to mention the NUMEROUS PORSCHE WANNABE's, who buy for the badge, on their grocer clerk salaries,) are able to buy and destroy them. ...and like a cheap third wife, pump them full of botox and LSX engines!...but I digress.

Personally, I apologize if I offended you in any way! I'd hope that you know that I would NEVER intentionally do that to you. You've been a Godsend, not to mention a mentor to me, and so many others. So, If I did come off as being callous, or just plain ...myself, I apologise and hope that you will accept that it was unintended.

By now, you know that I don't EVER apologise for intentionally taking the **** oput of anyone, especially when they, IMHO, deserve it.

If I offended you, in anyway, please accept my apology, and I'm thrilled that you figured it out!
Hell, as hot as it is here in Fla, during the Summer, I'd almost INVITE a cold water spray! I'm still tryin ta figgur out we these damned yankees wanna spray all that great coolant onto the damned IC! Hell, put that refigerant all up in the dang cabin!

Semper Fi!

Elliott

Last edited by ehall; 08-04-2012 at 04:42 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:34 AM
lejams
Pro

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
You guys think I'm kidding but the water is pouring out... Video proof below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXw2JZwLkl4
I remember this happening, it looks unreal, like a staged video. Had the fan on high while moving at a good clip, a little spitting at first, then the deluge - in waves . You'd think there's no way possible that much water can come out of "air" vents, but it can. As efficient as the Germans are, it's amazing they didn't think of re-routing the line to the IC What a waste!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Elliot, I'm not remotely offended -- those posts cracked me up. I was just playing along with the video. My sprinklers were on and I had a spare/broken set of vents hanging on the wall, so I figured I'd have a little fun... Thanks for all the kind words (however misguided), but I prefer posts like this:

"pfft! Without a dyno chart from 73.2135486 DIFFERENT vendors, and a video by 3 RL'ers that hate each other and 3 Vendors who hate each other more...like that's even possible...IT DIDN'T HAPPEN"

Despite all the drama, botox, LSX engines and endless variations on the same questions, rennlist continues to be an invaluable reference (especially for those of us who remember working on cars before the internet) --and its up to all of us to keep it that way!
Old 08-04-2012, 11:02 PM
lejams
Pro

I thought that was a bit more than I recalled coming out of mine, but it was 15 years ago after all. Ever since, I periodically clean mine out.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:46 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks guys! I wondered where that line was..since I have the radio out of my car, looks like it might be an easy thing to find..If not from the top, then from the bottom, since the TT is out too! Do I have to take the console off/out too?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:08 AM
rstites
Track Day

The first time I had this issue, I hit a bump and suddenly had water rolling out of the glove box. There's a vent into the glove box that's lower than the other vents, so water runs down into the glove box. Everything in there got soaked.

....reminds me that I need to get my car in to get the AC rebuilt and charged. I'm hoping to daily drive it this summer for the first time in 15 years.

Quick Reply: Water from Vents!