Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Has anyone added a web cam

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 10:12 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone added a web cam

I was talking with my mechanic (951S) and he mentioned if adding a modest cam it would likely increase the lag of the turbo by @ 500 rpm. If adding a MAF would that increase the throttle response and help to negate this.

Also does the MAF require going with larger injectors over stock? Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:09 AM
slap929
Pro

Educate yourself on this matter please. There is far to much information about MAFs and cams on here to just be over looked. Not to turn in to RENO, but use the search feature before you go asking questions that have been answered time and time again. More importantly you will actually understand what the hell your mechanic is talking about and doing to your car.... I know, crazy concept.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Change your mechanic to the one who knows these cars better. Or just start to educate yourself. About a year and you know everything needed of 951's.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

The cam won't increase the lag so much as shift where it's opening up to it's max efficiency at a later point in your rpm range. In effect the Maf can improve throttle response but it won't negate the cam as such. Most of the time you would increase your inj size with these mods anyway.

Slap...what the hell shell is that in your Avatar? Looks sort of 924gtr meets Orca with a bit of something else thrown in...
Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Cams are an excellent upgrade so long as you "plan to" or upgrade other parts as well. like the turbo injectors and a whole bunch of other things. The stock turbo is just not up to the task of supplying enough air at higher RPM's. It will negate any benefits and might actually hurt performance on a stock vehicle. Usually a cam change should be considered when other modds have already bin done.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:10 AM
White_951
Rennlist Member

My experience is the cam, maf and map create significant improvement to throttle response....however as stated above ultimately demand a better flowing charger for total performance....
Old 08-02-2012, 11:34 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by renvagn
I was talking with my mechanic (951S) and he mentioned if adding a modest cam it would likely increase the lag of the turbo by @ 500 rpm. If adding a MAF would that increase the throttle response and help to negate this.

Also does the MAF require going with larger injectors over stock? Thanks.
Okay, well, more people will see you drive like a moron, and once it's on the interwebs, you can't take it back, but a webcam only weighs like...a pound, so your mech is either fuill of crap, or he knows that you've been filming his girls trying to find his wankus with her microscope. Either way, if there is video, you will be convicted, so better to stay with low boost and claim that your gloryhole run was "
hypothetical", when you post it....Also, if you call it that, we won't make as much fun of you for the heinous wimmins that you hook up with and film.

Either way, you can safely put a webcam in your car or your house. It's your fututure!
Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put this sticker on your car, you get more power from stickers anyway.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-got-logit...3449cd&vxp=mtr
Old 08-02-2012, 04:50 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

The stock turbo is just not up to the task of supplying enough air at higher RPM's.
Thanks Jimbo and Patrick for some constructive responses to the unanswered question during my search. I have owned the car since 05 and use it to instruct with at BMW and Porsche and other DE's. The suspension is done and it is tuned, but recent head work had us thinking about some changes since I'm in there. It is a stock turbo-cup turbo however, but dose gets around Mosport in high 30's, Mid-O low 30's and VIR and WGI low teens. Sounds like the additions would be a major amount of parts upgrades at this time.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:19 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I've owned a 951 since 1991 when there were plenty of WG's in there low teens but none of the 30 year olds were VIR's. That I recall anyway. LOL
Old 08-02-2012, 05:36 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd wait until you decide to change the turbo as well. Remember that a car/engine that shifts the power across to the r.h.s. won't be as civil to drive on the road (if you still do?).
Old 08-05-2012, 10:17 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by renvagn
Thanks Jimbo and Patrick for some constructive responses to the unanswered question during my search. I have owned the car since 05 and use it to instruct with at BMW and Porsche and other DE's. The suspension is done and it is tuned, but recent head work had us thinking about some changes since I'm in there. It is a stock turbo-cup turbo however, but dose gets around Mosport in high 30's, Mid-O low 30's and VIR and WGI low teens. Sounds like the additions would be a major amount of parts upgrades at this time.
The best bang for buck change for the 951 is a set of good chips. Then add a better boost controller and wastegate (along with a wideband). A test pipe in place of the catalytic converter is also a good early change. With those mods, you can pretty much max out the factory injectors and AFM. The AFM can flow more air, but it's ability to measure air stops when the meter hits 5 volts. Because of this, most people next opt for a MAF and bigger injectors, no so much because they make power by themselves, but because they allow you to measure more air (which allows you to crank the boost or run e85 or change turbos, etc. to make more power). The MAF also clears the way for a bigger turbo. Once all that's all done, then it's time for bigger cams, bigger fuel pumps, port work, headers, more displacement, better ignition, intercoolers, throttle bodies, etc., etc.

Quick Reply: Has anyone added a web cam