Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951-powered Glastron-Carlson Speedboat: I have to do it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 06:53 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 951-powered Glastron-Carlson Speedboat: I have to do it.

Ok, call me crazy (go ahead, it's fun), but I've taken on a challenge: to incorporate a boat I've always wanted with semi-modern Porsche design.

Behold the donor: one of less than a hundred, 1980 Glastron-Carlson CVX-20 Intimidator: NOT jet driven, but a normal Mercruiser I/O setup.

Boat will receive:
-Porsche Guard's red paint (predominantly), complimented with Seal Grey and Arctic silver highlights to maintain the Glastron "arc" at the rear of the boat. Interior will be 95% silver with black/red accents done as Porsche would have done. Will have a 100mph GPS speedometer, 951-style gauges.

-951 Powerplant: Mostly stock engine, but will have polished head with fresh valve job, stock headgasket, ballbearing 50-trim turbocharger for fast-spool, Three fluid/water intercoolers: one for coolant, one for intercooling, one for oil. Turbocharger will most likely be relocated to middle rear of engine so I can split the exhaust post-turbocharger for wet manifold adaptation (see pictures of the exposed exhaust pipes).

-Interior will eventually be updated to look like how Porsche taylor's their interior, though I really like the quilted look of one Intimidator:

This is my first boat, but not my first Porsche engine conversion (or build), but still my first boat transplant: any experience here would be highly welcomed. My donor boat wont arrive for a month, and my motor is not likely to be done by that time either: I plan to place a crank-only block assembly in the boat for adaptation/configuration to the drive, customize the motor mounts, mount the turbocharger, etc.

The boat came with a 260 Mercruiser setup (260hp out of a 350cu Cast Iron setup). I figured a nice 951 engine will weigh a bit less, make 100hp more, & get better gas mileage since I'll run the stock ECU setup & maintain the O2 sensor: wonder if just up on-plane I'll still be in closed-loop or not? Boat would hit 52mph with 260hp, 75mph with about 200 more hp; should be plenty fast enough for Lake Austin.

I have some awesome local Porsche friends: West, Jeff x2, RJ, Mike, + a few others: with their help & this forum I think I can build a world-class Porsche boat.
Attached Images   
Old 08-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Lightningmcnulty
Racer

Awesome
Old 08-01-2012, 07:04 PM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have a friend that has a orange and cream one since about 1984... fun boat
Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed. Awesome!
Old 08-01-2012, 11:41 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

isn't it difficult to change colour since colour is in the gelcoat?
good luck with the project hope you have a lot of time to kill.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:42 PM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way too cool, can't wait tp see the project started. keep us posted!
Old 08-02-2012, 12:50 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Thats awesome. Can't wait to see your pics.

If your going to customize it you should get Josh to build you a

B-TUNE

Old 08-02-2012, 01:26 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

these pictures might motivate you

Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 AM
bordin34
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a cool build but the thing a boat needs is torque and I dont think the 951 will make enough down low to efficiently get it on plane. Also it will constantly be under load and boost while cruising so that might hurt fuel mileage a bit.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:34 AM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used to have one of the N/A 928 off-shore motors: boat had sunk, had seaweed in the intake manifold

951: It's light, will have MUCH better mileage than a 350cu small block cast-iron chevy, will operate (possibly) in closed-loop with the O2 enabled, and with a small ballbearing turbocharger should spool pretty good. Keep in mind there's about 30% prop-wash when you take off, so lots of resistance but still easy to spin the engine: should build boost pretty quick. As well, my knees are too old for constant skiing & there's no need to race, so it'll be a fast cruiser...good looking too!

There are specialty paints for painting over gel-coats: I've already inquired.

Mark
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was me doing it. i'd get the head worked a bit with stock valves. I'd also supercharge & turbocharge it.
i don't think space is an issue?
the supercharger will get the low end torque to midrange power and the turbo will give you that topend you'll need.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM
OntarioTurbo
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like an awesome project! As previously stated you will need lots of torque to get out of the hole, so fast spool time will be a nessesity. Also, all marine adapted automotive engines have a substantially beefed up lower end. I don't know if our engines would survive repeated hole shots before getting on plane (dependant on load, trim settings etc.). The extra load on a motor in a boat has been described, even while on plane, as driving up a 20 deg. incline all the time. I have seen a few car engines (chevy 4.3 V6) put in boats to replace the 4.3 marine unit, that did not last long at all. Hopefully our engines are a little sturdier.

Anyway, nice to see some creativity and I hope it works well for you. Please post pics as the build progresses. Good luck!
Old 08-02-2012, 01:44 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

In general I've seen superior component, forgings over castings, and strength-assembly applied to Porsche engines over all but fully-forged BB engines: I think the 951 can take it. My only engine mods i plan for so far include-
-ported & polished factory head
-944 camshaft
-crank scraper
-head vent kit from Lindsay
-BB turbocharger for quicker spool (than the K26-06).

I'll be running an external oil/water oil cooler as well: did I leave anything out???
Old 08-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did I leave anything out???
A boatload of Zink Anode's.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:48 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, the motor will have a closed cooling system on it so I can continue to use the proper coolant mixture. I'll run a large air/water intercooler core using lake-water (69 degrees on average as it's released from the base of Lake Travis' dam)
I'll have 3 air/water IC's: Coolant, Air (intercooler), oil.

Quick Reply: 951-powered Glastron-Carlson Speedboat: I have to do it.