Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

T-Bar Delete with Roll Center correction and Rod ends. COMPLETE!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mikey_audiogeek
The crossmember sits BELOW the torque tube, right?

And the redesigned crossmember sits higher than the factory one, right?

And the gearbox drops under acceleration, right? (torque reaction)

So...
I think you're implying that the torque tube may have pressed down on this beam - but I don't think that is likely. First, the bend looks off-center - more towards the control arm mount on one side. Second, the rear of the car squats down on acceleration, but the transmission/torque tube shouldn't move realative to the chassis (at least not much - e.g. maybe 1/16" inch due to rubber flex in the mount).
Old 07-11-2013, 11:06 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep, that's what I'm implying. Agree with your comments, particularly the offset of the bend. However, it can be surprising how much a rubber mount can move. Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So...
The cross member sits at the same location, and even if it didn't it's location would be irrelevant.

The transaxle torque is transferred to the engine through the torque tube. Which... is why they call it a torque tube btw.

The gear box doesn't move under acceleration because of this.

TonyG
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

How about "Moment of Force Tube" MFT

Originally Posted by TonyG
The cross member sits at the same location, and even if it didn't it's location would be irrelevant.

The transaxle torque is transferred to the engine through the torque tube. Which... is why they call it a torque tube btw.

TonyG
Old 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Has anyone tried to phone Bruce?
Old 07-12-2013, 09:52 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I've got his number if any of the other customers want it. At this point I'm done with this thing, I don't want to put any more effort into it. I'll just consider it an expensive lesson in being on the bleeding edge of product development.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I would be hopeful that someone could contact Bruce and at least get his take on this. Does anyone live near him? The unfortunate aspect is that I don't believe he ever intended to rip anyone off with this part. I've always had trust in my dealings with Bruce. Clearly he's put a lot of time into it, but the problem now is that faced with a mass refund on monies that I assume are long since spent. I would say that those that purchased it (inc myself) have to assume risk on an unproven aftermarket part.

Last edited by 333pg333; 07-20-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 AM
MC 968CS
Pro

Received 139 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubai944
I have looked at this a few times and not done it. Anyone got any quantitative data on the improvement gained from moving the pick up points? I know it's better in theory, but how about in practise from those who have raced both with an optimised stock carrier and a Kokeln or other version modified carrier?

What is the noticeable difference in handling characteristic, or measurable difference in grip levels, lap times etc. I am skeptical there is a significant improvement over stock that translates to a better handling/quicker car particularly once you are running everything solid and a very stiff spring and the suspension isn't moving much anyway. Weight saving is good. Simpler adjustment is good but not completely necessary. Not sure it's worth it.
In addition to the queries from Dubai, which I second, I suggest that this is not worth running with. There has clearly been no proper load analysis here, except by Porsche on the original item.

Just worried someone is going to get killed playing 'engineer', when they have no idea what they are doing. Madness.

Stay fast and safe and have more fun.
MC968CS
(non practicing engineer)

Last edited by MC 968CS; 07-14-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:38 AM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
The unfortunate aspect is that I don't believe he ever intended to rip anyone off with this part. I've always had trust in my dealings with Bruce. Clearly he's put a lot of time into it.
Absolutely, I have no doubt at all that Bruce is a good guy and has the best intentions.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
I would say that those that purchased it (inc myself) have to assume risk on an unproven aftermarket part. This will be one of many many parts that gather dust in the never ending quest to build a better car. Oh well.....
I agree, but I'll reserve the right to still be frustrated. I'll stomp my feet and pout for a while and then have to make my peace with the situation and move on.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:14 AM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The real problem is you are taking a system designed around torsion bars and loading it completely different from how it was intended. There is a relatively large distance between the shock mount and the hub. This is why the effective rate when running just coilovers is something like 63%. This places both a vertical load (as Van described) and moment at the trailing arm to torsion bar carrier mount, which is bending the tube downwards. Yes, the same loading scenarios are present with just a shock, but are probably 10x less.

With decent relative measurements of the loading points and some assumptions of acceleration, bump, and cornering G's, you could perform a relatively simple static analysis of the system and size the tube accordingly.

I'm just guessing here, but say the tube is 1/8" thick... Increase the thickness to 0.25" and you would reduce stress (and deflection) by 40%. Even better, increase the O.D. of the tube.
Old 07-13-2013, 04:20 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Dropped the original part around to the workshop today. It will be going back on.

Sure, there is no hard data in terms of this piece. Raising the pickup points in theory should allow the car to be lowered and not get into subterranean roll centres. My reason for buying this part was more to do with this than losing weight. The issue I had with the previous version of my car were mostly to do with it being too high and losing suspension travel. There is no way I'm going to let ride height dictate terms again yet I don't want to have the lowered car affected by poor roll centres. It is now sitting a lot lower than before. I only hope that by going back to the OEM part that we don't sacrifice too much in geometry.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:06 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TonyG

TonyG
Tony, I agree that the torque of the engine is coupled to the gearbox - but did you consider the torque reacted out through the wheels?

There is an overall moment arm from the drivetrain that is reacted out via the engine mounts (upwards force) and the trans mount (downward force).

For an engine putting out 400Nm, this torque would be approximately (400)x(1st gear ratio)x(final drive ratio) = about 4000Nm.

Reacted through the drivetrain, this would create an upwards force of about 170kgf (1700N) at the engine mounts, and a similar amount but downwards at the trans mount.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-14-2013, 10:26 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the torque output at the wheel. And the fact that the exact same torque is also generated, in the opposite direction, which is transmitted through the torque tube, to the engine, then finally to the motor mounts.

Additionally, there is no torque causing a downward force on the transaxle. It's purely a rotational force. In other words, the transaxle doesn't drop under acceleration. Any downward force at the transaxle would rip the transaxle mount instantly.

TonyG

So...
Tony, I agree that the torque of the engine is coupled to the gearbox - but did you consider the torque reacted out through the wheels?

There is an overall moment arm from the drivetrain that is reacted out via the engine mounts (upwards force) and the trans mount (downward force).

For an engine putting out 400Nm, this torque would be approximately (400)x(1st gear ratio)x(final drive ratio) = about 4000Nm.

Reacted through the drivetrain, this would create an upwards force of about 170kgf (1700N) at the engine mounts, and a similar amount but downwards at the trans mount.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 07-14-2013, 11:20 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Hi Tony, I know you've got a lot on your plate at the moment.

So I've attached a free body diagram to show what I mean more clearly.

Name:  Torque.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  4.9 KB

From Newton's 3rd law: Ra = - P

In this case:

P = reaction force from motor mounts due to applied axle torque Ma
Ra = reaction force from trans mount due to reaction force P

(of course, these forces are only about 170kgf, so equivalent to about a 3g loading)

With compliant mounts, this would result in the motor moving slightly upwards, and the trans moving slightly downwards.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 07-15-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:19 AM
zeusrotty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just have the thing reinforced externally and move on? A few good solid pieces of steel in the right places will give it more than enough strength. And how dare any of you call yourselves racers without a single suggestion of racing tape or zip ties. I'm ashamed for you.

Quick Reply: T-Bar Delete with Roll Center correction and Rod ends. COMPLETE!