TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

TonyG > New Race Car Build Thread

Reply

Old 07-22-2012, 03:27 PM
  #16
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever
Thread Starter
 
TonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,976
Default

Originally Posted by 95ONE View Post
Make that two LART. I need one also. I will take a pic of it today.
Mine has a fitting welded on it for a steering wheel disconnect, which came with the car. I would rather use my Rothsport setup on my current car so I need a replacement setup. Plus it seems that there is some sort of bearing/bushing at the firewall that seems to have a lot of slop. I can't compare that to my current red car because it's all put together.

Is that bushing/bearing at the firewall a separate piece that's still available?

TonyG
TonyG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
  #17
95ONE
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
95ONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 4,243
Default

Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Plus it seems that there is some sort of bearing/bushing at the firewall that seems to have a lot of slop. I can't compare that to my current red car because it's all put together.

Is that bushing/bearing at the firewall a separate piece that's still available?

TonyG
Do you mean these guys Tony? Cuz I'm having the same problem. Right at the firewall.


It goes through this piece behind the pedal cluster, through firewall.







And this bearing is pressed over the steering rod /shaft. Need the bearing. I think there is some rubber or plastic spacer/collar in between this piece and the one above that deteriorates. But I don't have that anymore, I think It fell apart and out the first time I removed the steering shaft.




95ONE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:51 PM
  #18
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever
Thread Starter
 
TonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,976
Default

Exactly. I don't think my red car has play in it, but I can't tell because it's all together. But the yellow car had a lot of play right there. I figured I'd start looking now for a replacement just in case.

TonyG


Originally Posted by 95ONE View Post
Make that two LART. I need one also. I will take a pic of it today.
Originally Posted by 95ONE View Post
Do you mean these guys Tony? Cuz I'm having the same problem. Right at the firewall.


It goes through this piece behind the pedal cluster, through firewall.







And this bearing is pressed over the steering rod /shaft. Need the bearing. I think there is some rubber or plastic spacer/collar in between this piece and the one above that deteriorates. But I don't have that anymore, I think It fell apart and out the first time I removed the steering shaft.




TonyG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:49 PM
  #19
acorad
User
 
acorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 293
Default

Hey Tony, I saw your shell over at Ajax's a week or so ago. Had no idea it was yours. Woulda left a six pack or something in it for you for all the help you've been...
acorad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:14 PM
  #20
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever
Thread Starter
 
TonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,976
Default

Originally Posted by acorad View Post
Hey Tony, I saw your shell over at Ajax's a week or so ago. Had no idea it was yours. Woulda left a six pack or something in it for you for all the help you've been...
Who is Ajax? Are you sure it was mine?

TonyG
TonyG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
  #21
acorad
User
 
acorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 293
Default

Ajax Sandblasting in Van Nuys, around 7/11 or so. Sure looked like your pics.
acorad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:10 PM
  #22
acorad
User
 
acorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 293
Default

Actually, Ajax didn't have any of those other cars that I see in the background of your pics, maybe there's another yellow race 944 in the works.
acorad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
  #23
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever
Thread Starter
 
TonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,976
Default

That's odd in light of the fact that my tub is actually at a sand blast shop... just a different shop.

These pics are from today.

TonyG


TonyG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
  #24
Van
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Hyde Park, NY
Posts: 11,652
Default

Awesome project! Congrats on getting Landjet's car.
Van is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:32 PM
  #25
acorad
User
 
acorad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Agoura Hills, CA
Posts: 293
Default

Ya, now that I think about it I think the tub I saw still had the rear fenders attached. I was in a hurry. Anyway, looking forward to seeing your build!
acorad is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:40 PM
  #26
refresh951
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
refresh951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 3,296
Default

Looking forward to seeing this come together!
refresh951 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:54 PM
  #27
disasterman
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
disasterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 1,820
Default

All I can say is that i hope that they are bead blasting, soda blasting or dry ice blasting. Sand blasting is difficult to control the removal of substrate. I restored two 1970 trans am's, one we used bead blasting, the other we baked off the exiting paint and sealers then dipped in e coat. I do have considerable experience in all three applications. In my business we regularly soda and dry ice blast.

good luck
disasterman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM
  #28
95ONE
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
95ONE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 4,243
Default

You are clearly going to do the car Justice Tony. What color are you going to paint it? Mine should be getting paint in the next day or two. Regular 'Ole white for the interior. Should be done by the end of the week.
95ONE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
  #29
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever
Thread Starter
 
TonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,976
Default

Originally Posted by disasterman View Post
All I can say is that i hope that they are bead blasting, soda blasting or dry ice blasting. Sand blasting is difficult to control the removal of substrate. I restored two 1970 trans am's, one we used bead blasting, the other we baked off the exiting paint and sealers then dipped in e coat. I do have considerable experience in all three applications. In my business we regularly soda and dry ice blast.

good luck
Great... I have no damn idea. I just was told to sand blast it. I'll have to call in the am to verify. What's the problem with simple sand blasting? Is it that there are pieces of sand that you can't get out?

This tub is very bare. and with the fact that it's a semi-tube frame, and the fact that all the floor pan is cut out and flattened... there's really not much of a place for sand to hide.

Always something....

TonyG
TonyG is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
  #30
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever
Thread Starter
 
TonyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,976
Default

Originally Posted by 95ONE View Post
You are clearly going to do the car Justice Tony. What color are you going to paint it? Mine should be getting paint in the next day or two. Regular 'Ole white for the interior. Should be done by the end of the week.
Thanks.

The car is getting sand blasted. It will be out on Wednesday. Then Thursday we are going to modify the side Nascar style door portion of the cage (it's too big to get out with a Hans...). And I'm going to install a couple of chromo bars behind the driver left to right to keep the gas tank from being planted into my back if I park the car at 100mph into a wall.....

Then Friday it's going to get completely powder coated (everything top to bottom to interior except the exterior roof skin). Gun metal metallic grey!

The powder coater has the matching paint to give the paint shop so they can match the interior portion of the fiber glass doors.

Plus... they even have matching paint in a spray can so I can do touch ups as necessary :-)


So the car will be metallic gun metal grey on the interior, the engine compartment, the bottom of the chassis and the rear tube frame portion of the chassis.

The exterior will be a red.. darker than Guards red. More of a blood red with white graphics.

TonyG
TonyG is offline  
Reply With Quote
 

Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
mehoff
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
108
04-18-2017 08:31 PM
centerpunch
924/931/944/951/968 Forum
698
04-04-2017 11:22 PM
Nis1973
Porsche Cup Cars
11
11-01-2016 08:48 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 05:42 AM.


Copyright ę 1998 - 2017 Rennlist.com
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: