Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF's in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 07:09 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MAF's in the rain

Hey y'all -- so, my air filter is right behind the headlight, as is the case with most MAF's. As is also often the case, it has a tendency to "gulp" some water when on boost in the rain. The water causes the MAF to go nuts and kills my tune...

I'm thinking of building a little shield to go around the filter and protect it. Anyone done this? Would appreciate thoughts on what works and what doesn't, since I'm too busy (or lazy) to bother spending a lot of time on this.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Lindsey Racing has one on their site.. I have only seen pics of it, but it looks good and helps not only to keep water away from the filter, but also to keep hot engine bay air away from it, so it mostly sucks air from the hole in the fender where the snorkel use to be..
Old 07-09-2012, 11:28 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe something like this?
http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A3167A0A0.aspx
Old 07-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Crackership
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in western Washington state... and it rains here... I mean, it really rains here. I've got an M-Tune, right behind the headlight, in the normal spot... and I've never had a problem with it gulping up water.

I did have a cold air intake on a previous car, where the filter element was actually down in the front bumper, and that one would occasionally gulp water when I ran through puddles, but even then.. if I avoided puddles, it wouldn't have an issue.

I guess what I'm getting at is, maybe there's a larger issue that's allowing large amounts of water into your filter. Just a thought.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ausgeflippt951
Hey y'all -- so, my air filter is right behind the headlight, as is the case with most MAF's. As is also often the case, it has a tendency to "gulp" some water when on boost in the rain. The water causes the MAF to go nuts and kills my tune...

I'm thinking of building a little shield to go around the filter and protect it. Anyone done this? Would appreciate thoughts on what works and what doesn't, since I'm too busy (or lazy) to bother spending a lot of time on this.
I don't have that problem. Do you have the little rubber weatherstripping pieces under the headlight bucket? I'd be worried about restricting air flow if you put a shield around and close to the filter. Maybe just a diverter shields well above the filter to prevent the run off from falling on the filter.....?
Old 07-10-2012, 04:48 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I use Injen's Hydroshield.
Works great, especially when you start the engine after power-washing the car - no more stumbling or odd running because of a wet MAF.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! Thom, I'll give that Injen thing a whirl; they're cheap enough.

I don't actually see any problems with the car off-boost but when I get into boost the tune kicks the bucket. Basically, it means I can't do DEs in the rain (unless I want to toodle along off-boost).

I'll try it out and report back.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:49 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Wanted to provide a quick update, for those of you searching:

I went ahead and bought the Injen pre-filter (Hydroshield) that Thom mentioned, and last weekend was able to take the car out in a thunderstorm. While it there wasn't much rain on the ground yet, I think it did its job! The rain was moderately heavy, and I'm fairly certain I would've seen a problem had I not had it installed.

My butt-dyno may have been slightly miscalculated, but throttle response/power may have been slightly compromised. But hell, in the rain, who cares?

I'll be keeping the Hydroshield off of the car for DE's, unless it rains. Fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: MAF's in the rain