Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

CA Smog Success!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:08 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Brantley
Well done! I'm jealous...

I am still struggling to get my '87 to pass due to high NOx. Thanks to this post though for the DEC suggestion. I did end up getting one. Though, I didn't have to do the flange modification as you did so maybe they corrected the design since then.
Hey that's good news about the flange. It was so wrong, many people must have complained or returned it. You really have to have everything just right to pass. My NOx at 25mph was 623 with a limit of 669 with everything in tip top bone-stock condition. The ironic part is that all the things that might reduce the NOx are technically not legal (other than maybe a little E85 or timing change via the FQS...)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by gpr8er
I had the same issue with the Walker cat I tested with in "11. In "11 I passed with miles to spare, but in "13 I failed on the 15mph test. Had to retest and BARELY squeaked by. And I only used the cat for testing. It was on the shelf for the 2 years. WTH? Attachment 849622

Attachment 849623
I have to say it is really amazing the scam these cat companies have going ...
These things a just a POS !!!!
WAFJ
Old 07-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

grp8er -- thanks for the post. What year is your car? I always thought the later cars had stricter limits than the 1986 cars across the board -- but your smog report shows slightly higher limits than my '86 in several categories!
Old 07-01-2014, 11:50 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is an 86 "body" with a 3.0L from a 2.7 block and head. I always put the car back to stock config. ie. airbox, injectors, afm, chip for testing FWIW...
Old 07-01-2014, 11:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

That's interesting. Your limits are different than mine -- some higher some lower. I guess the SCAQMB has it's own standards.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:09 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

goes without saying their ultimate goal is to get all these old cars off the road. I posted before about the roadside ambush smog checks around here. Also the freeway on ramp camera looking for the cat heat signature
Old 07-02-2014, 12:59 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Outstanding!! Perfect timing, just about ready to test mine after being down for years...Hopefully I'll pass the initial test...Visual
Old 07-02-2014, 01:19 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Outstanding!! Perfect timing, just about ready to test mine after being down for years...Hopefully I'll pass the initial test...Visual
That may be the least of your worries, unless you went back to stock ?
I am going to have to rethink my next smog, as I passed the last time in one area 15 mph HC by the skin on my *****....
That, with a less than stock set up ...
So, I think I am going to have to bite the bullet....
I do hate this nanny state !!!
Old 07-02-2014, 01:21 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpr8er
goes without saying their ultimate goal is to get all these old cars off the road. I posted before about the roadside ambush smog checks around here. Also the freeway on ramp camera looking for the cat heat signature
I remember that but heat signature ?
No kidding ???
Really ?
These rectums have nothing on the NSA
Old 07-02-2014, 02:40 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
Congrats Tom
You have to be the most meticulous, ****, detailed smog statistician, the world have ever know
Way to go ... I can't wait to do mine ...
I may be toast
Cough! Cough! "Most **** and meticulous"? Something about a pot or kettle goes here, I think.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Cough! Cough! "Most **** and meticulous"? Something about a pot or kettle goes here, I think.

OK you got me
but if you knew the records he kept, and the list he made to keet track of all of this .... it would blow your mind ...
Old 07-02-2014, 03:32 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I can imagine. I've used his head gasket write up and I'm currently using his turbo write up. Actually both, as I use the HG write up for the steps to removing the intake manifold.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:16 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

I can imagine. I've used his head gasket write up and I'm currently using his turbo write up. Actually both, as I use the HG write up for the steps to removing the intake manifold.
Yes ... case in point
By the way has anybody in CA ( in the metro areas, where they are more strict )
ever pass with their original cat ( with mods like a MAF and 55 lb injectors and the associated chip ?)
Reason I ask, is that I never used my orig cat under those circumstances ..
I have passed with the stock set up and my orig cat back in 2011 but that was before mods entered the picture ...
I did also pass with the relatively new DEC cat and mods, but that was too close for comfort .... and that cat seems to be long in the tooth at this point
Thanks
Ed
Old 07-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Fluidplay
Three Wheelin'

Hey Eddie, I passed with exactly that, but things have tightened up since 2011. I've been going to a guy in my area for years who in the past as been a little more lenient on visual. Not sure anymore...once I get my M-tune a little more dialed in, I'm giving it a try with Rogue's (80# inj) set-up.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fluidplay
Hey Eddie, I passed with exactly that, but things have tightened up since 2011. I've been going to a guy in my area for years who in the past as been a little more lenient on visual. Not sure anymore...once I get my M-tune a little more dialed in, I'm giving it a try with Rogue's (80# inj) set-up.
Well good luck.... we are all going to need it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CA Smog Success!