Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Before I bite , Can I chew ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 11:38 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandpa#3
Hello John, There are some great video's on You Tube by vsvenson covering the Porsche 951 Water Pump, Cam and Balance Belt change out with tensioning, Wheel Bearing Change, Brakes, Front Engine Reseal, etc., etc.. Check out the link below for a copy of the Work Shop Manual.

http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/index.html

Cheers,
Larry
Hello, I have watched them all multiple times. Van, Thanks for sharing! I am still have some trepidation as I cant really verify the automatic tensioner is set correctly. I believe Van stated in his tutorial that his has been calibrated or checked multiple times and was right on . Don't remember the actual verbiage. I will be watching his tutorials again multiple times in the near future .
Thanks for the link ! I have not found that one yet. Great resource, Thanks again .
Old 07-01-2012, 03:07 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slow Project 951
I have been lurking here for years with the intention of starting my project sooner then later. I currently have the funds to begin and have found myself with the overwhelming fear of failure.
I was about to purchase the maxi kit for proper belt tension from Arnnworx and was all but told to consider the less precise cheaper tool kit . I am at approx three thousand in parts with my wish list for the front end reseal, timing belt, water-pump, brakes and shocks / struts.
I figure this is a good place to start but I have jitters as I am much more experienced drinking beer then turning wrenches on what I hope to be my daily driver.
Anyone want to go over my list and critique my choices or help me add to them ? Anyone in the grater Houston " Richmond Tx " area wanna stop by , have a beer and assist with my plan of attack ? Thanks in advance, John
1. MOST have been where you are!
2. Buy the ARnworxx gear. You NEED the confidence, and it's great stuff.\
3. If you can read, ask questions, and know when to back away and take a deep breath, you can do ANYTHING!
4. Bolts are BOLTS! Most of the car is bolts, and **** machined and sold to you by parts companies. I repeat..,.BOLTS ARE BOLTS!
5. This is a GREAT place for help.
6. It will make the car YOURS!
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

ps I've NEVER seen a project that ever ended. That's a key element to the joy and to being part of the community! WELCOME!

You should probably ask for a tools list. It's been done, but search sux on RL since IB screwed it up. Just make a thread.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Default Good point !

Originally Posted by ehall
ps I've NEVER seen a project that ever ended. That's a key element to the joy and to being part of the community! WELCOME!

You should probably ask for a tools list. It's been done, but search sux on RL since IB screwed it up. Just make a thread.
I have been lurking and watching from a far for a considerable amount of time. I have been nervous and until now have not pulled the trigger. I purchased all parts needed " I believe " for the front reseal, waterpump, timing and balance belts. The parts should be in the mail ! It is getting real.
Still have not purchased a torque wrench or wrenches. I would love some input from all regarding things I may be missing.
Things that are not obvious such as anti seize, Types of lock tight or sealant for connections at the water pump/ block. Gear pullers ? and I am having trouble with the factory manual. Where is the best place to view online? The sight above in the thread is difficult to view after download and seems to jump around alot from procedure to procedure ?
Any input for a nervous novice would be appreciated ! My ability to put it all together in order, with my current scatter brained state is , well causing more anxiety. So to sum up the above, Looking for help with any procedural documentation, list of helpful tools I may have missed, insight on anything else ?
Old 07-20-2012, 03:31 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

WEll, first, go to www.clarks-garage.com, and click on "garage shop manual". For the job that you are about to do, here are three videos that will help a lot. They were produced by one of our members, Van.

http://youtu.be/b2G5xaMn8IM

http://youtu.be/nqc0mm-7ukY

http://youtu.be/K8T1SPook_k

http://youtu.be/UvzZ2objumY

This is an outstanding write up, done by another member Tom M'Guinness, for HG replacement, but it provides GREAT info that will help you with your project.

http://members.rennlist.com/tom86951/headgasket.htm

As for wrences, Van's videos will give you a good idea of what you need. You will need a fairly large, 24mm?, deep socket for the crank bolt. You will want, at minimum 3/8 drive ratchet and sockets, from 8mm through 19mm, plus the above 24mm. You will probably want a 1/2 breaker bar of some dec length. You can rent a torque wrench. You need screw drivers. As for WP sealant, I think Van perhaps chose to use some, though I believe that it may not be absolutely needed. You shouldn't need any gear pullers. You WILL need the flat offset wrench for the belts. I used Van's method for T-belt tensioning, (BUT I HAVE A VERY GOOD WORKING BELT TENSIONER!!!!!), which is the common twist method. I've had it rechecked and was almost exactly correct. Without the hydraulic tensioner, you'll need the arnnworx t-belt tensioning too kit. www.arnnworx.comn, is the website. It makes sense to get that either way. If you are goiong to do all of this, and can afford it, you might consider changing out all of the coolant hoses. you're going to be removing tons of them, so now is a good time. I'm sure others will come up with more stuff. Read through Tom's write up, and watch all 4 videos. That will answer MANY questions about procedures and tools. When I think of more stuff, I'll post.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

I have been lurking here for years with the intention of starting my project sooner then later. I currently have the funds to begin and have found myself with the overwhelming fear of failure.

I figure this is a good place to start but I have jitters as I am much more experienced drinking beer then turning wrenches on what I hope to be my daily driver.
I have been putting my timing belt and water pump job off since I bought mine 4 years ago for the same reasons...fear of screwing it up. Since I have taken it apart, I have gotten over that fear. The task seems daunting at first, and the fear of screwing up and costing serious $$$$ to correct mistakes is always there, but keep your confidence up. The timing belt and water pump job is not to difficult to understand once you take it apart and see how things line up and how it all works.

+1 on the Clarks garage write ups. That is what I am using, but I have a set of factory manuals as well.

I have the Arnworx kit to do the job and tension the belt, and am going with a kevlar belt, even though I have a new Continental timing belt on hand as well.

Take your time, and keep the beer drinking to a reasonable level until you are done turning the wrenches. Also, use labeled ziplock baggies for all nuts and bolts as you disassemble. It seems easier to keep track of that way.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looking into that now, Thanks ! I would like to keep the suspension from rattling my teeth out and was considering the factory mounts however they are price prohibitive. I just cant justify them. Noticed a little dry rot on the current pair and don't feel they will be quite safe?
Suppose I should ask or look into Larts site or some thing similar . I don't see myself making adjustments too often so I initially was not considering the options you provided.
I appreciate the reply and wish I had someone like you around the corner to enjoy the project with.
Well the camber plates also get rubber out of the front end. As for adjustability...well...they look cool! I don't really screw with them but I wanted them!

Don't forget the fuel lines, I was looking at mine and the damper jumper has surface cracks, so that's on the list not much of a fire danger for me though as I am still in clutch slave cylinder hell!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 AM
CRBennington
Advanced

I'm in Fort Worth now, but will be relocating to League City in the next couple months. I'm slowly assembling parts and tools to hit a ton of repairs and updates on my '87 951. I'm also of a lower amount of wrenching experience and would love to have someone to drink some beers with and learn my way through the car. Right now the largest problem is being in an apartment and not really being able to have an actual working area.

I'll shoot you a PM when I have a move date and we can get together.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 AM
manticore33
Racer

A timing belt failure is not a disaster, but a mere set beck. Change the belts, its calling you to do so.

Mine snapped last spring before I could change it (this was on my summer to-dos). I was in about $600 to fix the car, plus my time. With the terrific forums of Rennlist, I was able to find a local-to-me head in excellent condition (still appreciate this), acquire new timing set with pulleys, and new upper gasket kit. Two days later I had a running engine.

A shop quoted me $800 for the belt before (because I was scared...). So, even though I messed up by not changing it sooner, I still was a positive a couple hundred dollars.The bonus is that I replaced old gaskets, was able to clean the pistons, and now have a good core for head work in the future. Of course, ideally I would not have had this bonus, but that is life!

Quick Reply: Before I bite , Can I chew ?