Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:19 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OM frik'n G..

Pulled the 2.5" with very low miles on it, I'll have to look them up, and the cat element is in two pieces -- you can't even see through it. That's $150 of fitting welding down the shi#ter.

I can imagine why my second set of retest numbers were so crappy.

A Maganaflow #36106.
Old 05-09-2014, 04:02 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

* And Todays Numbers Are..

NOX - 873 out of 437 at the 15mph run.

FQS was #1, I guess I should have stuck with FQS #3.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear. What a pain this is...

I can't pass NOX either. My latest test was with 100 octane gas and FQS #4 and my NOX was at 1400.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:32 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Just passed my check in San Diego. Took me 4 tries before success. FQS #4 and new O2 sensor did the trick. The 15 mph test is always the hard one to pass.

Last edited by slivel; 07-30-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 AM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slivel
Just passed my check in San Diego. Took me 4 tries before success. FQS #4 and new O2 sensor did the trick. The 15 mph test is always the hard one to pass.
Nice! I'm jealous...

Can you post up some of your failed tests so I can see how your numbers improved with your changes?
Old 05-25-2014, 01:10 PM
slivel
Racer

Here you are:
First test not shown but about the same as the 1542 ppm test shown.
After first test, new spark plugs, corrected small vacuum leak and slightly richened the mixture.
After the second test, new distributor cap and rotor, tightened exhaust clamp and richened the mixture a little more.
After the third test, new O2 sensor and PASS.
I went to one test station and they refused to test. They had the car on a lift and said that my exhaust was not legal. They were claiming that the waste gate should have been attached to the turbo and the second parallel pipe beside the cat was not stock. The car is completely stock exhaust and waste gate - catback is not stock but that is legal. Problem is that these cars are getting so old that few people even know what the real thing looks like and the DMV with outrageous fines has them all running scared to make a mistake. Next time I might take along my factory service manuals so that I can show them pictures of the original design.
As you can see from my first mail, the new O2 sensor really cleaned up the numbers.

Last edited by slivel; 07-30-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slivel
Here you are:
First test not shown but about the same as the 1542 ppm test shown.
After first test, new spark plugs, corrected small vacuum leak and slightly richened the mixture.
After the second test, new distributor cap and rotor, tightened exhaust clamp and richened the mixture a little more.
After the third test, new O2 sensor and PASS.
I went to one test station and they refused to test. They had the car on a lift and said that my exhaust was not legal. They were claiming that the waste gate should have been attached to the turbo and the second parallel pipe beside the cat was not stock. The car is completely stock exhaust and waste gate - catback is not stock but that is legal. Problem is that these cars are getting so old that few people even know what the real thing looks like and the DMV with outrageous fines has them all running scared to make a mistake. Next time I might take along my factory service manuals so that I can show them pictures of the original design.
As you can see from my first mail, the new O2 sensor really cleaned up the numbers.
Thanks, that is helpful. What are you doing to richen the mixture? FQS settings? Or, some other mod?

I haven't been able to invest much time lately on mine but I am at 1400 NOx at the 15 mph and super low CO / HC which means I am running lean. I'm pretty certain I have an intake and / or exhaust leak that I haven't been able to track down.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:23 PM
slivel
Racer

Originally Posted by Brantley
Thanks, that is helpful. What are you doing to richen the mixture? FQS settings? Or, some other mod?

I haven't been able to invest much time lately on mine but I am at 1400 NOx at the 15 mph and super low CO / HC which means I am running lean. I'm pretty certain I have an intake and / or exhaust leak that I haven't been able to track down.
The mixture adjustments were done via a Vitesse Piggy Back and were targeted to only the cells where the test regime was looking. The FQS switch may work but is probably a more course adjustment than is available with the Piggy Back and the FQS setting is global so you may be worsening the situation for the 25 mph test.

Quick Reply: Wish Me CA SMOG Luck!