Wish Me CA SMOG Luck!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:48 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have two DME's, one stock and one Vitesse chipped. Had a Jboot crafted to look stock to mate to the TO4E. Running Witch cleaned stock injectors, stock FPR (tested at 33psi yesterday) and double aluminum taped the cat inlet.

Pressed the PZeros up to 58psi yesterday, to reduce lugging in the 15mph run - I should have thought of that the last time.

If flow wasn't so jacked up, I'd look into putting the MAF in the AFM.

You should consider putting me on a lease, Mtn..
Old 03-20-2014, 06:00 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

So much for Spring ahead.. HA!

NOX is 140 over!! Sweet!

Mech made some suggestions so I'm going to try FQS #4.

Comments at the bottom are his suggestions, I look forward to yours!
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2014, 01:42 AM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going through CA smog woes right now as well for a car that came from out of state (AZ).

I too am fighting high NO.

Here is my first test (New Spark Plugs, New O2 Sensor, Stock Catalytic) -

Notice I failed pretty much everything. Was really just looking for a baseline to see where the car was at. Obviously, the stock cat was no longer good so that was first on my list to be replaced.

Here is my 2nd test (Stock Chips, New Cat DEC CA legal) -

Much better numbers for HC & CO but still pretty far off on the NO. So, yes, running very lean and need to add fuel so am planning on playing with my FQS as a next step. I am probably going to try 5 or 7 on the FQS. My numbers are so strong now on CO that I can add a lot of fuel so will probably go with 7.

ibkevin, I couldn't read where your CO was at but seems like setting 4 or 5 FQS might get you to where you need to go.

I will also be installing new plug wires, distributor cap & rotor as well. Plan to retest Saturday so will post up my results.

Mike
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to try to find some time this weekend to revert. My beautiful 8 year old daughter was bit one the face by a Doberman at a sleep over this past weekend - serious gashes, scars for life - and then I had to go out of town for work all week. Need to deal with that first and foremost (turning into a cluster, dog owners haven't accepted any responsibility and it took until yesterday to even locate the dog to put it into quarantine). I'll post results, plus the last test or two, when I get it done. If I recall correctly, my numbers were pretty good with the stock chips. I'm in a no-load (no dyno) county so it's a bit easier but I'm not exempt. I have the SFR cat which I put in the Fabspeed exhaust for the test. The last time I got a ton of grief about it before they passed me - the tech was "... the cat should have a lot more rust/wear on it if your leaving it on here permanently and staying legal..." I asked him to look at how many miles I'd put on it in the past two years (<5k) as the reason and he begrudgingly accepted it.

I really need to get a wideband O2 sensor installed and get a smog tune to avoid a lot of this hassle... Ibkevin - ultimately I really want to get a stealth setup going so I just have to put the airbox assy back on and switch software every two years. I'm thinking that's about as simple and easy as it will get in this state. Wish the ****'s would be reasonable and just look at the tailpipe emissions but we know that will never happen...

Last edited by mtnman82; 03-21-2014 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:21 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Jezz Mtn, my heart sunk when I read that! It takes real ***** to be a good Dad, stay that course. I know sleepover parents wouldn't sleep well until this is made right. PM me to let me know how this goes.
Damn that sucks!

BTW guys, my name is Kevin, the IB is just a prefix of where I live.

Brent, welcome to 951 ownership, they are not an easy car to keep on the road here but are azz busting fun. Yesterday, while the car was cooling down in the drive, a group of 3-4graders on a field trip to the beach were telling me they loved my car -- just another reminder of how timeless these cars are and pride in ownership is due.
CO measured at .11 in 15mph and .04 at 25mph. Without knowing your cars history and being from AZ, check your air filter and check for any upstream O2/cat leaks -- very crucial.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:47 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hate to say this but honestly it is very close to the truth. To pass without a "tunable" on the fly car, your best bet (cheapest, least time consuming) is to ask around or go to local tuning shop and find out which Star Cert shop is "persuadable" in your area. You would most likely have to spend that money on new parts anyway. Trust me the shops are out there, your job is to find them. That is if your ultimate goal is just to get your sticker. If you truly want to pass the draconian measures, then that is a whole other ball of wax.

Very sorry to hear about your daughter, that is just horrible. God speed to her recovery.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:10 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Trust me the shops are out there, your job is to find them.
At $60+ a pop for a pre-test and schmoozing -- dumbest advice ever. Register in a basic test area, done.

Your sigline says much about you.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:19 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:00 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Failed my 3rd test... but definitely making progress.

3rd Test (FQS Set to 7 - 6% more fuel, -3 degrees timing retard, New Distributor Cap & Rotor, inflate tires to 42 psi) -

Passed NO on the 15 MPH test but still failed on the 25 MPH. Still have a lean condition even after the FQS setting.

Next step - check for vacuum leaks again, install Lindsay vacuum lines, have witch hunter refurb / flow injectors, replace fuel lines and fuel filter.

Kevin, any luck on your side?
Old 03-25-2014, 11:47 AM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Original cat I suppose? High NO numbers usually mean a dying cat.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:07 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
Original cat I suppose? High NO numbers usually mean a dying cat.
I have a brand new DEC CA Legal cat installed so that is no longer the problem. The new cat did already decrease the NO numbers down by half. So, there is still some other reason for my car running too lean. So, focusing on fuel delivery now.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:54 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Kevin, any luck on your side?
We'll find out Thursday. I'm fortunate enough to get back to home and garden stuff when SMOG pisses me off.

Congrats! Passing the 15mph is the high hurdle! What does your nose tell you at the tailpipe?

Mech told me the 15mph run is 50% load on the dydo and 25mph is 15% load. Sounds like the new cat cleaned up the worst of it, now it's just engine tune up. I wish you had mentioned you needing vac hoses, I have a bunch of new Puroseal silicone I could have sent.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:42 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try some acetone in a full tank to bring down the NOx. There is some info on how much to use in another smog thread.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:18 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

How'd it go Kevin?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:01 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just read your earlier post. I hope your daughter is ok. People should take more responsibility for their pets.

Quick Reply: Wish Me CA SMOG Luck!