Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Wing Mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Default New Wing Mount

After three years tripping over it around the house in Dubai, then dragging it home to Australia I finally got my rear wing mounted!

A couple of challenges with this install was the narrow mounts of the wing which was made for the TVR Sagaris race cars plus my rear floor is cut out for my gearbox pumps and cooler, with an access panel that I need to be able to open, so no easy mounting and brace points. With the fuel cell and other bits and pieces already in there, I wanted a true bolt in bolt out mounting solution that was still very rigid.

I ended up using Fulcrum Aero uprights that slide onto posts and secure with pins. I had a rear frame made up that bolts into the rear of the car, braced forward over the fuel cell to the harness bar. The frame and posts were made from the thickest 1 inch box section I could get and I filled the posts with race foam as well for a bit less flex. With the forward bracing it has turned out to be really rigid so I'm pleased with the result.

Some pics of the result plus a couple of other interior shots for interest. All the car needs now is some colour on the new white base and it will be ready to start it's new racing life in Oz.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:24 PM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is a very well built car. Very impressive. Thanks for the pictures.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:14 PM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well done, nice fabrication and detail work throughout the car. Consider a full photo spread on under the hood too.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

That is awesome! Great work.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:14 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice work indeed. I appreciate the attention to the little details. Was wondering about the progress on your build as it's been a few years. What are the specs on the engine as well as wheels/tires combo? +1 for more pix.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:22 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Thanks. The current engine is an S2 block with piston squirters added, 968 crank and head, Arrow Rods and Wossner pistons at 9:1 compression. Racers Edge race cams and Stahl headers. SFR supercharger kit, but only the Procharger head unit and hard pipes remain original as I have heavily modded the brackets and pulley system to run more boost.Doing some tuning and other engine mods currently so might have some info and pics of the engine setup in a few weeks time.
Wheels are CCW custom, fronts are 18x11 Rears are 18x12 with Dunlop Race Slicks.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:40 PM
95ONE
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So um.. You also run mission control from that cockpit? Holy cow. I don't have a clue why you would need all that!? What is it?
Old 06-22-2012, 11:24 PM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Supercharging- any particular reason you are going this route as oppose to turbocharging- what power output you are looking for? Still, interesting and a cool project.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:05 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Yep, looks great Steve. Some clear similarities between our cars. Good vs Evil heheh...
Give us a tour of the cockpit and under the hood next time. Hope we can meet up on the track one day. Perhaps Bathurst one of these years.
As I mentioned in the other tread, it will be interesting if you have to redress the front to rear balance now with the new big rear wing. You'd have to think so.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:26 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95ONE
So um.. You also run mission control from that cockpit? Holy cow. I don't have a clue why you would need all that!? What is it?
Lol. It's not as exciting as it looks.

I just wired all the electrics for the car onto a single panel for easy access. The right hand side is fuses and relays, coil igniter, ecu, common earth and 02 sensor cal buttons. (Actually the right side is supposed to have a cover over it to hide the mess, but I haven't got around to making that yet.)

The left side is dash, datalogger on/off and a few switches to run lights, wipers,coolshirt, ventilation fan, trans cooler pump etc. So no rocket science.

The entire dash panel comes out in a couple of minutes with two bolts and a few electrical connectors.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Yep, looks great Steve. Some clear similarities between our cars. Good vs Evil heheh...
Hope we can meet up on the track one day. Perhaps Bathurst one of these years.
As I mentioned in the other tread, it will be interesting if you have to redress the front to rear balance now with the new big rear wing. You'd have to think so.
I can imagine a great shot would be both cars haulin' it down conrod together (if you can keep up..haha)

No doubt the balance will change a bit but will drive it first and see. I have several sets of springs to play with so should be easy enough to adjust.

Originally Posted by mudbuddha
Supercharging- any particular reason you are going this route as oppose to turbocharging- what power output you are looking for? Still, interesting and a cool project.
It was just evolution. After racing it naturally aspirated for a season I wanted to quickly add a bit more power to meet the GT class limits. At the time supercharging was simpler to install and setup. As the years have gone on I have tried to push it a bit further. Turbocharging is still an option down track and the motor is built for that, but for now I am still happy with trying to get the best out of the supercharger. Power in Dubai was 320whp, but that was only because the class limit dictated no more than 320whp. Now I am here in Oz I am not as rule restricted so will be modifying and tuning it for as much more power as it can comfortably produce. Will see what that is.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:04 AM
mudbuddha
Rennlist Member

Yep, looks great Steve. Some clear similarities between our cars. Good vs Evil
+1 this is what came to my mind also...would be great to see side by side action shot of the two wide-bodied car. I am always a fan of cars with wide rubbers out back, well and on the fronts too- just looks fast for some reason. Keep up the good work guys.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Steve, have you done enough driving with the new rear wing to give impressions/data of it yet?

Quick Reply: New Wing Mount