Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

ANOTHER TIMING MARK QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ANOTHER TIMING MARK QUESTION

I am in the middle of timing belt and water pump job and found that when I set it to TDC the flywheel mark in the top window does not line up exactly with the pointer when I put the flywheel lock in. The flywheel mark is just to the passenger side of the pointer while all of the other marks are spot on. Do I need to adjust the crank alignment to line up exactly with the pointer before putting it back together, or leave it as it is and hope it is correct? The car ran fine before pulling it apart, and I am not in a hurry to put it back together...I have a ton of stuff to replace upon re-assembly.

I can post a picture when I get home tonight, but it appears to me to be one tooth off counterclockwise. Thanks in advance for responses.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:17 AM
JohnKoaWood
Nordschleife Master

It should be fine...

Once it is all back together, pull the plugs and roll the engine a full 360 degrees of cam rotation and verify the marks are aligned.. if you need to make a tooth adjustment you can do so just loosening the tensioner...

FWIW, IIRC the FSM calls for a full rotation to verify the timing marks... pulling the plugs just makes it that much easier to spin the crank.
Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 PM
LUCKYJACKASS
Drifting

Thanks for the reply, John. I will do the belt check before putting it all back together. I just wanted a bit of reassurance since this is my first T-belt job on her...

Quick Reply: ANOTHER TIMING MARK QUESTION