Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyone willing to do a not to detailed writeup about Suspension or Brakes or both?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone willing to do a not to detailed writeup about Suspension or Brakes or both?

as the heading says,

As im not to familiar with brakes & pads for our cars, as in whats good for street, what's good for track and what's not.
I know about Big reds 996tt, but not sure if the turbo S callipers would fit on a 86 or 87 ect.

Same goes with suspension, i know what coilovers are and what they do, but not to technical with what's a good spring rate for street, or what is a good but cheap brand. same goes with bushing, caber plates ect.

if anyone can write something up for me so i can put it on the modification thread i've been putting together, it'll be much appreciated!

If you're not sure what im talking about, click HERE

Thankyou.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Bump.. anyone???
Old 06-19-2012, 07:49 AM
Motosport
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I wish I could contribute, but my experience and knowledge regarding suspension and brakes are limited to motorcycles and race bikes, which do have rather fancy suspension setups, but not comparable to our cars..

I am however, about to upgrade my brakes and suspension and really look forward to this addition to your excellent and comprehensive modification tread.. Thanks a lot for doing all this work and I really hope some of the other Rennlist experts will chime in with their experience..
Old 06-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Copilot
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

There's actually a REALLY good suspension writeup on Clark's Garage - I'd just reference that.
Old 06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
as the heading says,

As im not to familiar with brakes & pads for our cars, as in whats good for street, what's good for track and what's not.
I know about Big reds 996tt, but not sure if the turbo S callipers would fit on a 86 or 87 ect.

Same goes with suspension, i know what coilovers are and what they do, but not to technical with what's a good spring rate for street, or what is a good but cheap brand. same goes with bushing, caber plates ect.

if anyone can write something up for me so i can put it on the modification thread i've been putting together, it'll be much appreciated!

If you're not sure what im talking about, click HERE

Thankyou.
For most performance upgrades, I think the best advice is - go to the track and see what the fast guys are using. For brake pads, most of the fast guys that I encounter at the track use Pagid pads. I have been using Pagids for years because they are predictable, heat tolerant, easy to modulate, and have consistent quality. They are expensive, though, but I think that you get what you pay for. I like the Black RS-14 compound and either of the Yellow compounds, RS-19 and RS-29. These are track pads, not street pads. If you want to boost the performance of your street pads, The Black RS 4-2-1 compound is a good choice. Pads are so easy to change on our cars that I would swap in the appropriate pads when running at the track and back to street pads before driving home.

Brake cooling is always an issue for the 951. Repeated threshold braking on the track will boil your fluid unless you have good quality and fresh fluid.
Some people bleed and change fluid before each track event, I don't but I use Castrol SRF at about $75 per quart. You will likely warp your brake rotors unless you have upgraded them - especially on the 86's.

The real problem with upgrades is that most of them involve a compromise and a dual purpose car - track and street soon becomes unsuitable for either purpose. Been there and done that. You make upgrades to get more competitive at the track and find that the additional points you must take for the upgrades put you in a higher and more competitive class - so its an endless cycle, all the while you are moving farther and farther away from a nice comfortable street machine. It's a slippery slope and very addictive to upgrade and go faster, but most who have done it would probably advise - keep the mods reasonable so that your street car is still a joy to drive on the street and if you want a track car that is competitive, build a dedicated track car.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:18 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Motosport
I wish I could contribute, but my experience and knowledge regarding suspension and brakes are limited to motorcycles and race bikes, which do have rather fancy suspension setups, but not comparable to our cars..

I am however, about to upgrade my brakes and suspension and really look forward to this addition to your excellent and comprehensive modification tread.. Thanks a lot for doing all this work and I really hope some of the other Rennlist experts will chime in with their experience..
I'm about to upgrade my suspension also, I know i want KW V3 coilovers because everyone on this forum says nothing compares to them. even a few have said foe me to get these. but for spring rates and stuff i'll need to talk to an expert.

Originally Posted by Copilot
There's actually a REALLY good suspension writeup on Clark's Garage - I'd just reference that.
Thanks, i read it, very good info. i'll link that, but i want more in talking about brands, which set ups work where ect.

Originally Posted by slivel
For most performance upgrades, I think the best advice is - go to the track and see what the fast guys are using. For brake pads, most of the fast guys that I encounter at the track use Pagid pads. I have been using Pagids for years because they are predictable, heat tolerant, easy to modulate, and have consistent quality. They are expensive, though, but I think that you get what you pay for. I like the Black RS-14 compound and either of the Yellow compounds, RS-19 and RS-29. These are track pads, not street pads. If you want to boost the performance of your street pads, The Black RS 4-2-1 compound is a good choice. Pads are so easy to change on our cars that I would swap in the appropriate pads when running at the track and back to street pads before driving home.

Brake cooling is always an issue for the 951. Repeated threshold braking on the track will boil your fluid unless you have good quality and fresh fluid.
Some people bleed and change fluid before each track event, I don't but I use Castrol SRF at about $75 per quart. You will likely warp your brake rotors unless you have upgraded them - especially on the 86's.

The real problem with upgrades is that most of them involve a compromise and a dual purpose car - track and street soon becomes unsuitable for either purpose. Been there and done that. You make upgrades to get more competitive at the track and find that the additional points you must take for the upgrades put you in a higher and more competitive class - so its an endless cycle, all the while you are moving farther and farther away from a nice comfortable street machine. It's a slippery slope and very addictive to upgrade and go faster, but most who have done it would probably advise - keep the mods reasonable so that your street car is still a joy to drive on the street and if you want a track car that is competitive, build a dedicated track car.
Thanks for your perspective on it. i'll have to use some of your info (if you don't mind) in the brake section!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:05 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a massive amount of information in old threads. Several well built track/race cars have been documented on Rennlist. Spend several hours reading and researching, make a list of potential upgrades, then start asking questions to fine tune your decision.

My car;

'88 951
full cage w/reinforced strut towers
motons & Eibach springs
full racers edge parts package (see their website)
Kokeln adjustable sways, rear suspension setup and trans mount
CTSV engine w/mefi 4b ECM + accusump + custom fuel delivery
18 inch wheels w/285/35 square setup
Aim Pista Dash and Smarty cam
custom dual master brake setup with reinforced pedal + tilton bias
Recaro pro race seat, net and shroth belts
Safecraft fire system
Misc custom bits to keep the car cool

That's about $40 grand worth of upgrades to get you going.

Have fun and get ready to transfer wealth
Old 06-20-2012, 09:27 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

hehehehe...

Oh, speaking of KW and transferring wealth.....http://www.vividracing.com/blog/anno...m_medium=email
Old 06-20-2012, 09:36 AM
disasterman
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way Patrick, I ran this last weekend and broke a CV joint that was completely dry. I have some crappy video that I wont other posting but expect to race on the 30th. I am going to order the Lindsey motorsport axles.

So we can add those to the list.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by disasterman
There is a massive amount of information in old threads. Several well built track/race cars have been documented on Rennlist. Spend several hours reading and researching, make a list of potential upgrades, then start asking questions to fine tune your decision.

My car;

'88 951
full cage w/reinforced strut towers
motons & Eibach springs
full racers edge parts package (see their website)
Kokeln adjustable sways, rear suspension setup and trans mount
CTSV engine w/mefi 4b ECM + accusump + custom fuel delivery
18 inch wheels w/285/35 square setup
Aim Pista Dash and Smarty cam
custom dual master brake setup with reinforced pedal + tilton bias
Recaro pro race seat, net and shroth belts
Safecraft fire system
Misc custom bits to keep the car cool

That's about $40 grand worth of upgrades to get you going.

Have fun and get ready to transfer wealth
wow, that's some serious stuff.
Only problem with old threads are that there's new products ect. once of these days i'll go through some though.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by 333pg333
hehehehe...

Oh, speaking of KW and transferring wealth.....http://www.vividracing.com/blog/anno...m_medium=email
Funny you mention that. I was looking at those then quite shattered they're only for the new VW
Old 06-20-2012, 01:39 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

The information in this article is pretty old (in terms of equipment and vendors), but does a good job of explaining the basics. http://www.924.org/techsection/Suspe...reparation.htm

And another one, http://www.944turbo.org.uk/suspension.htm
Old 06-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

pretty similar to the clarks writeup but thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone willing to do a not to detailed writeup about Suspension or Brakes or both?