Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cooling issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:19 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

How are you supposed to plumb the T fitting on the upper left of the RH radiator? I thought they put the inlet/outlets on the same side since that's where the hoses come from on the LS setup?
Old 06-21-2012, 12:48 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
How are you supposed to plumb the T fitting on the upper left of the RH radiator? I thought they put the inlet/outlets on the same side since that's where the hoses come from on the LS setup?
The upper left is actually the lower drivers side (it's upside down in the pic).

The large hose goes to the water intake with the thermostat using a stock 944 hose. The 1" line (not exactly sure about the size), which is what your asking about, runs up diagonally to the radiator tank (or however you get it there).

Also... you don't use a turbo radiator tank. You use a non turbo radiator tank.

TonyG
Old 06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Ok, since I'm a dummy and I see 4 hose barbs on that thing, walk me through hooking it up. There are two connections off the motor, then 1 off the over flow tank right? I assumed that small connection was for the overflow, but then there's the T fitting...

Why do I need to swap over to the NA overflow tank?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:05 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte
Ok, since I'm a dummy and I see 4 hose barbs on that thing, walk me through hooking it up. There are two connections off the motor, then 1 off the over flow tank right? I assumed that small connection was for the overflow, but then there's the T fitting...

Why do I need to swap over to the NA overflow tank?
Again... the radiator in the pic is upside down.

If you flip it over...

Then the big pipe with the 1" pipe are on the passenger side down low. The big pipe connects to the water inlet on the water pump where the thermostat is located. The 1" pipe runs up diagonally to the bottom of the 944 radiator over flow tank (where your radiator cap is).

Then on the other side... The big pipe connects to the big outlet on the water pump which is in the center, just to the left of, and under, the throttle body.

The small 3/8" line runs up and T's into the cylinder head steam pipe, then to the top of the radiator over flow tank. ((( Note: I'm not sure about your steam vent setup. Mine has a fitting on each cylinder head on the front/center, that has a small 1/4" metal pipe that connects the two (one on each cylinder head), with a T barb off of it. )))

The reason you use a 944 rather than a 951 over flow tank is because you don't need the provisions for the cooling system for the turbo (the electric pump that circulates water through the turbo after you shut off the car).

The bung for the switch is for the fans. But I don't use that. I use an output from the GM computer to control the fans.

TonyG
Old 06-22-2012, 04:26 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got any url's handy of the discussions?
Old 07-02-2012, 01:14 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got the radiator and it's HUGE. Easily 2-3 times as thick as my OEM radiator. I sourced most of the needed hoses from NAPA, but one of them they didn't have locally. I'm going to call a hose shop tomorrow, hopefully they have it, otherwise I'll have to cobble something together.

I'm also using the LS1 PCM to control my fans, guess I'll connect the new fan power and ground to my current fan relay and leave the rest alone...
Old 07-02-2012, 08:02 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got the new radiator in today. Had to fab up a few L brackets to hold the stock lower rad support in place as well as one for the top passenger side. Otherwise it fits well and I like the hose routing, well away from all the pulleys.

Haven't had a chance to really drive the car, one the way home from my friends place I was stuck in traffic and it's 105 today, so temps were up. Once I got going temps did come down. Hopefully while on track temps will hold steady no higher than 230...
Old 07-02-2012, 08:03 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Got the new radiator in today. Had to fab up a few L brackets to hold the stock lower rad support in place as well as one for the top passenger side. Otherwise it fits well and I like the hose routing, well away from all the pulleys.

Haven't had a chance to really drive the car, one the way home from my friends place I was stuck in traffic and it's 105 today, so temps were up. Once I got going temps did come down. Hopefully while on track temps will hold steady no higher than 230...
Old 07-02-2012, 08:14 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

are you going to the open track day on friday at pueblo?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:03 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

No, but I'll be there this Saturday and Sunday.

Quick Reply: Cooling issues