Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhausts and other stuff.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:46 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I have access to a flow bench. If there is some interest I will post results of a stock 951 intake vs 2.7 intake vs aftermarket intake. This will be part of a series of small upgrades on my engine in the coming months.

Pat, we need pictures of what's in the crate!
Old 06-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by thingo
I have not found too much connection with intake/exhaust myself as yet, I still have more back pressure in the crossover than I would like, but I don't think there is anything to gain by going bigger than 3" with the exhaust.
Rod, how much backpressure do you see and at what level of boost?
Old 06-13-2012, 05:02 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we were tuning my motor, Garrity and Dave noticed my SFR intake wasn't flowing evenly. They opened it up, made some changes, and smoothed out the inside. They felt there was a restriction at my intake, and didn't like the filter inside the engine bay and designed this for much better flow and cooler air at the intake filter. We had to install LED blinkers to clear this housing. It fits well, and is protected from the underside.
Originally Posted by 333pg333
Well apart from all this conjecture over the post turbine exhaust goes, we still haven't covered much on the intake. Naturally this is because there isn't enough quantifiable information on this integral part of our motors. Just to add to the mix of all this. Neil Harvey who put the motor together in the crate said he came up against some real anomalies with the EGTs at idle and low throttle positions. 2 of the 4 cylinders were waaay hotter than the others. Now on a race motor this may not be extremely important but he wanted to make sure that even under a potential Yellow flag, I wouldn't run into possible problems. He chased these problems for some time. Changing and testing everything he could think of. Even running it in n/a config. Eventually he felt that the large headers were doing something unusual. As these headers have been on other race motors without incident it was decided that perhaps the headers and the race head were working in conjunction to create issues with the modified intake. He was going to test a stock intake and stock headers when I called a halt to the build. As I was progressing with Motec down here I decided that there were too many reasons not to continue with the build in the U.S.
I brought this point up with the engineer down here and as mentioned before, he felt that the stock intake 'should' be very well engineered by the factory. Hell, why wouldn't it be? I suspect that as they never planned on these motors running 25psi with much larger turbos and all the rest of the mods, that the intake was probably fine under stock or somewhat modified conditions. He also had a take on EGTs being a very fickle way of tuning in his experience. Fewer people tune via EGTs anymore with O2 sensors being much better and hardier nowdays.
The continuing tune of this motor shall be interesting....
Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM
George D
Drifting

Pic of intake.
Attached Images  
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
I have access to a flow bench. If there is some interest I will post results of a stock 951 intake vs 2.7 intake vs aftermarket intake. This will be part of a series of small upgrades on my engine in the coming months.

Pat, we need pictures of what's in the crate!
Definitely interested in your flow bench testing Thom!

The motor in the crate is the same old one you've seen pics of going back some years now. We will actually be taking a bunch of Link and trigger related stuff off it and just run what I've got on the 2.5L motor now. The Link, harness, triggers, coils etc are being sent back to the U.S. as there is a buyer there. So this motor is going to look like most 951 motors. Hopefully what's inside will make more of a distinction between the norm.
Attached Images     
Old 06-13-2012, 05:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

George your air filter setup is a totally unique piece/s especially in our little world. Would have liked to see/know more what they did with your intake. My gut feeling was that the SFR offering doesn't have a heap of testing done to it.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 PM
Thom
Race Car

Originally Posted by George D
When we were tuning my motor, Garrity and Dave noticed my SFR intake wasn't flowing evenly.
Interesting, do you remember by how much?
Old 06-13-2012, 07:38 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Interesting EVO. 3.5" exhaust. Air shifter. How much time does that save each lap???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a7jmBC5oY9o
Old 06-14-2012, 10:42 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Interesting EVO. 3.5" exhaust. Air shifter. How much time does that save each lap???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=a7jmBC5oY9o
that is pretty cool
http://www.amsperformance.dk/default...name=vareliste
Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Pretty useless unless a true sequential gearbox or dogbox sync.

If you want to check out a cool Evo build look up Nemo Racing's build down under. Pretty crazy.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Wonder if anyone will ever step up to a Sequential on one of our cars? Not sure that the one used in the Cup gearbox is built to handle the torque that some of the high end turbo motors produce though? What is the alternative? Pretty sure the Aussie V8s have either shifted now to a transaxle Sequential or are going to next year.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:35 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Duke
Pretty useless unless a true sequential gearbox or dogbox sync.

If you want to check out a cool Evo build look up Nemo Racing's build down under. Pretty crazy.
WOW...you're not kidding!!! Amazing how much money people are sinking into these Time Attack cars...just mind boggling!! This one isn't going to win any beauty contests but I don't imagine that's what they're building it for.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Old 06-15-2012, 06:23 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wonder if anyone will ever step up to a Sequential on one of our cars?
Available for 968 boxes, originally made for Audi version, but should work with 968 box as well. System cost about 13K€
Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

WOW...you're not kidding!!! Amazing how much money people are sinking into these Time Attack cars...just mind boggling!! This one isn't going to win any beauty contests but I don't imagine that's what they're building it for.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater
Crazy isn't it!? Function is beautiful
It seems Holinger is a top choice for high hp seq gearboxes. The main drawback of all these race sequential boxes is the maintenance. Rebuild every ~25-40 hours. And the rebuild isn't cheap! Around $3500 plus 10-15 hours for the Porsche unit IIRC.

Quaife have released a bolt-on replacement sequential box for the Cup cars that have cheaper rebuilds. Cost is about $20k.

Race transmissions are just so darn expensive. I think I will have to make do with my 968 gearboxes..
Old 06-15-2012, 09:05 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 642 Likes on 497 Posts

Wonder if anyone will ever step up to a Sequential on one of our cars? Not sure that the one used in the Cup gearbox is built to handle the torque that some of the high end turbo motors produce though? What is the alternative? Pretty sure the Aussie V8s have either shifted now to a transaxle Sequential or are going to next year.
http://quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qbe61g

Quick Reply: Exhausts and other stuff.