Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Quick & East Weltmeister Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

OK, will contact the shop and ask to check whether they sent the correct ones. Maybe there are different TBs lengths for different production years?
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Couple things:

*All 944/968 used the same length torsion bar...I'm guessing you received some 911 bars by mistake
*Most folks don't use the spacer with the Weltmeister springs...we sell very few spacers. 86-87 no difference
*Weltmeister springs should be same diameter as factory springs in order to sit properly in the perches. They're typically black and will have 200 or 250 stenciled in white on the spring.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 02-03-2015, 03:41 PM
Smudo
Racer

According to my mechanic where the car is for maintenance and suspension upgrade, the Weltmeister springs that I have received from the vendor for my 951 have around 4.9 inch diameter and the originals are around 4.1 inch, thus around 0.8 inch smaller diameter. According to my mechanic I require custom build support for the springs to be installed due to larger diameter so it seems that I have not received from them the correct parts. This is so inconvenient ans I am in Europe and the vendor is in US

I must have bad lack as another shop sent me 911 TBs and I had to send them back. Now the rear end suspension is fully rebuild and it comes out that I have similar story with the front. The only positive thing is that this all happens during winter when I anyway would not drive my 951 due to salt.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:44 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Smudo
According to my mechanic where the car is for maintenance and suspension upgrade, the Weltmeister springs that I have received from the vendor for my 951 have around 4.9 inch diameter and the originals are around 4.1 inch, thus around 0.8 inch smaller diameter. According to my mechanic I require custom build support for the springs to be installed due to larger diameter so it seems that I have not received from them the correct parts. This is so inconvenient ans I am in Europe and the vendor is in US

I must have bad lack as another shop sent me 911 TBs and I had to send them back. Now the rear end suspension is fully rebuild and it comes out that I have similar story with the front. The only positive thing is that this all happens during winter when I anyway would not drive my 951 due to salt.
See if the springs have something stenciled on them. Should be white letter on the black spring.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:11 PM
Smudo
Racer

Originally Posted by Jason @ Paragon Products
See if the springs have something stenciled on them. Should be white letter on the black spring.
They were black and had white numbers/letters on them, including 250 lbs, so I hoped that these should be right ones. I will have a picture tomorrow as they are in the shop right now with the car.

P.S. Thanks for your help Jason. Initially I made the order on Paragon Products page (TBs, springs, bushings, 30/19 mm sway bars, but for some kind of reason could not make the payment with my Mastercard. I even wrote an email but did not receive any replay. I wish I had contacted you through this site earlier - this would saved me a lot of time
Old 02-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

They were black and had white numbers/letters on them, including 250 lbs, so I hoped that these should be right ones. I will have a picture tomorrow as they are in the shop right now with the car.

P.S. Thanks for your help Jason. Initially I made the order on Paragon Products page (TBs, springs, bushings, 30/19 mm sway bars, but for some kind of reason could not make the payment with my Mastercard. I even wrote an email but did not receive any replay. I wish I had contacted you through this site earlier - this would saved me a lot of time
Dang, not our habit to ignore email. Check the Koni front part number...any chance they could be S2/968 struts? The S2/968 complete strut was called 8741-1237 Sport and there was a left and right. The S2/968 strut has a smaller lower perch.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Smudo
Racer

I have a strut picture and the strut number is 8040 1035SPORT. Cannot tell whether its front or rear from the picture. Seems more like rear.

Old 02-03-2015, 05:06 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I have a strut picture and the strut number is 8040 1035SPORT. Cannot tell whether its front or rear from the picture. Seems more like rear.

Yes sir, that's a rear.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Smudo
Racer

Here are the pictures of the original 951 springs and the Weltmeister 250lbl springs which are taller and bigger diameter. Now I am 99% convinced that the vendor did not send the right springs. Any comments from someone with bigger experience?

It came out that in the front I still have the original struts (did not make picture as you cannot recognize any part number on them).

Old 02-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ok, as I suspected, you have S2/968 struts on the car. You need to either find the correct strut for the car so the Weltmeister springs will work or install something like:

http://www.paragon-products.com/Welt...t-p/905854.htm

Another option is to install the Koni 8641-1414 Sport inserts:
http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni...-1414sport.htm

in the struts you have and then you can use a kit like:
http://www.paragon-products.com/Coil...rhk-nr-xdo.htm
Old 02-05-2015, 03:15 PM
Smudo
Racer

Thanks Jason, I came to similar conclusion yesterday. It must be the previous owner who must have modified the front suspension. Can I just replace the front shocks with Koni 8641-1414SPORT? Will they be direct replacement?

Based on your post, the answer seems to be "no". I have no deep knowledge in this area. Is the the strut the part in the last picture?

I do not want to install coilovers as I participate in some youngtimer rally events where you ideally should not have major modifications. My mechanic already modified the upper and lover support of the spring so I can use them with respective struts, but this might be a temporary solution.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Smudo
Racer

One more question - In case the "temporary" modification works fine - I understand from your post that it should be possible to just change the strut insert with Koni one (With these ones):

http://www.paragon-products.com/Koni...-1414sport.htm

How hard is to replace the OEM ones with Koni ones?
Old 02-05-2015, 04:49 PM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 8641-1414 Sport inserts will bolt right into the strut housing you have. Our tech article shows you how...it's not difficult:

https://www.paragon-products.com/kb_results.asp?ID=50

Now, maybe the best thing for you to do is pick up a set of sealed strut housings (non S2/968) and install the inserts in those so your Weltmeister springs can be used. Ebay should be a good source for struts....you don't care if they're leaking or soft as you just need the housings.

Quick Reply: Quick & East Weltmeister Spring Question