Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

KEP2 Users?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012 | 01:06 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Default KEP2 Users?

Who all is using a KEP 2 pressure plate? I know all about the fork issue, but am curious how stiff the pedal is with the KEP 2 -- too stiff for a daily driver? Anyone have first hand experience comparing the pedal stiffness of a KEP1 vs. KEP2?
Old 06-01-2012 | 01:24 AM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

A buddy of mine has a Kep 2 with a Fidanza and I have a Kep 1 with a Fidanza both OE weight internals. There's almost no modulation in the pedal and the pressure isn't ridicules, I wouldn't be happy in traffic with a Kep 2. It's not a daily driver but you can if you want...
Old 06-01-2012 | 01:28 AM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Been using the KEP 2 for 6-7 years now, no experience with the KEP 1, the 2 is easily 3-4 times stiffer than stock, just seems normal to me now. When I drive a car with a stock clutch it feels mushy.

Tom like you I have been thru a few clutch combo's Cup clutch then Kevlar with reworked pressure plate, both slipped, while the KEP 2 /six puck disk may be over kill and does shudder if you baby it there is no slipping and is great at the track.

80K street miles on this combo
Old 06-01-2012 | 01:49 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

I've driven KEP 1 and KEP 2 plenty. If I had a car with decent power, KEP 2 would be the route I'd take. It's stiff, but you just get used to it after driving only a few times. You won't mind it, Tom. What I do mind, though, is a metallic or pucked disc that doesn't allow slip. Currently have driven KEP 2 with Cup disc no slip at roughly 425 whp. Be sure to inspect the PP thoroughly before you install, though. I had a KEP 2 develop a crack in the finger causing it to release on one side, but not on the other. Burnt up a disc really quickly. KEP of course took care of it no problem, still a bummer of a job to redo. I'm not saying you'll find a crack before it's mounted, but mine was definitely from the heat treatment process they put it through so it doesn't hurt to give it a solid look over before it's installed. Although, I thought you had the KEP 1 so this probably isn't all news to you.
Old 06-01-2012 | 03:27 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I like the KEP2. Its stiff but it has a nice even continuous pressure throughout the pedal travel, not at all like SPECs which do that irritating "switchy" thing. I daily drove it without issues for a little while. If you are prone to knee/leg/etc pain or are a smaller/lighter guy it might be an issue but for me (bigger guy, 6 ft) it was never a big problem.
Old 06-01-2012 | 04:11 AM
Thom
Race Car

I have been happy with my KEP2 + 930 disc + new fork combo for the last 3.5 years/16k miles.
The car is not a daily driver though and whenever I am stuck in stop & go traffic it takes only about 5 min to find the pedal "annoyingly" stiff.
Otherwise on the open road the stiffness feels at once with the performance of the car. No slippage either.

Aware of issues mentioned here many years ago I initially adjusted pedal travel to avoid unnecessary stress applied to the fork when disengaging the clutch, which means adjusting the biting point with the pedal quite low.
What I believe led to fork failures was a combination of old used forks (metal fatigue) with biting points set too high, meaning risking to apply more stress than needed on the fork past the (un)biting point when the clutch is already disengaged.
A friend has 50k+ miles on the same set up and has had no issues so far.
Old 06-01-2012 | 09:21 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

I've got a KEP 1 and my buddy has a KEP 2. The 1 is stiff but very manageable. Perfect amount of stiffness, relative to the stiffness of other components on the car.

The KEP 2 is certainly stiffer but not by much, if memory serves. The primary difference I recall is that the 1 feels like a very stiff factory clutch, whereas the 2 made it feel like there was definitely something aftermarket/modified. Not sure if that makes sense.

Given the fork problems (which are basically guaranteed if you don't do anything with your original unit), I wouldn't run a 2 unless you are making serious power. The 1 is rated to quite a bit anyway.
Old 06-01-2012 | 11:37 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

I have a Kep1 with the 6 puck copper clutch. pedal feels slightly stiffer then stock. I had to breakin the clutch so now it slips just enough sucks a little in traffic. Kep2 with the 6 puck clutch is very grabby. stiffer than Kep1. you only feel it getting out of 1st all the others gears not really
Old 06-01-2012 | 11:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Thanks all. I knew this would be a subjective quesiton but curious how people would describe the pedal pressure. I have a KEP1 now. When I first put it in, I thought is was noticeably stiff. After the first drive around the block it felt "normal" to me. Just trying to figure out if I'd have the same experience with the KEP2. David's response was the one I was hoping to hear...

My experience is that shudder is usually a function of the disk, rather than the pressure plate. So, I'm thinking of using a high clamp pp (KEP2) and an near-stock organic disk, so I can hold lots of power without having to nurse it off the line... That approach is working well with the KEP1, but I fear I am already nearing its limits...
Old 06-02-2012 | 12:41 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

so have you made or felt the KEP 1 combo slip yet?
What kind of TQ do you think you're layin down?
Old 06-02-2012 | 12:48 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gpr8er
so have you made or felt the KEP 1 combo slip yet?
What kind of TQ do you think you're layin down?
No slipping yet. I would guestimate based on prior dyno runs I'm somewhere around 425-450 ft lbs to the wheels.
Old 06-02-2012 | 12:59 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
No slipping yet. I would guestimate based on prior dyno runs I'm somewhere around 425-450 ft lbs to the wheels.
nice, I just dynoed my car a couple of weeks ago and it was at 378 ft. lbs. I was kind of disappointed but the car was missing above 5k rpm. Waiting for a new chip from Josh.

Quick Reply: KEP2 Users?