Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Okay I need the masters analisys #2 rod bearing failure & #4 blown HG failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
carlege
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lart951
interesting, so cross drilling the crank would solve the issue than?
I havent been able to verify that. You do have some spare blocks, think you could run a pipe cleaner or wire through the hole to verify if that is true
Old 05-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Because the water inlet (water pump) and water return (top of head) are at the front of the engine, the rear-most cylinder (#4) will always run the hottest because it has the least coolant flow.

Nothing is going to completely "solve" the problems... But a combination of several things can reduce the chances. That's why vendors like Lindsey Racing strive to come up with new products.

For the #2 rod bearing, the short answer to why it fails is simply: it doesn't have a good oil supply if the oil pressure drops or if there is foam (air) in the oil. That's why people cross drill the crank, run the pan baffle, run windage trays, don't overfill the oil, use high-quality oil with ZDDP, etc.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by reno808
Seriously lart?!? Chris White wrote this whole thing on it before
do we have any data for his engines? was he able to correct the problems on his builds? how many guys running Chris's engines and are free of these two issues?

I am asking questions simply as that, why don't you make your self useful for once and find that thread
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Van
Because the water inlet (water pump) and water return (top of head) are at the front of the engine, the rear-most cylinder (#4) will always run the hottest because it has the least coolant flow.

Nothing is going to completely "solve" the problems... But a combination of several things can reduce the chances. That's why vendors like Lindsey Racing strive to come up with new products.

For the #2 rod bearing, the short answer to why it fails is simply: it doesn't have a good oil supply if the oil pressure drops or if there is foam (air) in the oil. That's why people cross drill the crank, run the pan baffle, run windage trays, don't overfill the oil, use high-quality oil with ZDDP, etc.
I have seen many cars without the #4 steam vent near 200k miles that had original hg, I am not 100% sure about the air pocket or least cooling flow.

#2 poor oil supply or low oil pressure, maybe foam?
Old 05-30-2012, 11:20 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by carlege
I havent been able to verify that. You do have some spare blocks, think you could run a pipe cleaner or wire through the hole to verify if that is true
I will do today, good idea
Old 05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
carlege
Drifting

I think the head gasket has a little to do with the car design and rather the Age and Tune. Some people just dont know their AFR and dont seem to care.

The steam kit is great for bleeding the system but i think putting a close valve on it when your done bleeding would be a better idea than letting it run free 100% of the time
Old 05-30-2012, 11:48 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

, why don't you make your self useful for once and find that thread

I think there was something posted on Pelican maybe about a guy pressure testing the crankshaft with water to simulate flow. His results were #1 and #4 shared over 60-70% of the flow while #2 and #3 split the rest with #2 being the lowest. I would look for it but I don't like going on Pelican.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

#2 poor oil supply or low oil pressure, maybe foam?
Sorry not an answer but another question, when #2 fails what shape are the other bearings in ?, is it just #2 is first and the rest would fail shortly too.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CyCloNe!
im shocked no "search thread" icon.... your getting soft man!
i get threatening PM's. Ppl on here cry way to much. They need to get a life instead of PMing me. They are not even admins
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do we have any data for his engines? was he able to correct the problems on his builds? how many guys running Chris's engines and are free of these two issues?

I am asking questions simply as that, why don't you make your self useful for once and find that thread
Dude everyone knows the answer. why make a thread. DRY SUMP done
Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DDP

I think there was something posted on Pelican maybe about a guy pressure testing the crankshaft with water to simulate flow. His results were #1 and #4 shared over 60-70% of the flow while #2 and #3 split the rest with #2 being the lowest. I would look for it but I don't like going on Pelican.
and it came with videos...fascinating to watch. there's a LOT of aeration going on in there.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:32 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by reno808
Dude everyone knows the answer. why make a thread. DRY SUMP done
I have a customer with a 450rwhp race car lots of engine work and a dry sump in his last race @ willow back in April he spun # 2, okay Einstein so much for your answer, I believe there is another thread two other guys with accusump also had #2 failure we know accusump is not as effective as dry sump but still better than stock.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:33 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by pettybird
and it came with videos...fascinating to watch. there's a LOT of aeration going on in there.
do you have a link for that thread on gaylican forums? oh man I am banned there never mind.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:36 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blade7
Sorry not an answer but another question, when #2 fails what shape are the other bearings in ?, is it just #2 is first and the rest would fail shortly too.
good one the last engine with # 2 failure that I opened (2 weeks ago) had no damaged to the other bearings let me see if I can find the bearings and post a pict.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:40 PM
carlege
Drifting

Originally Posted by DDP

If this was the case wouldnt the fix be to put a collar on the outlet of 1 and 4 to allow 2 and 3 better (equal) flow

Quick Reply: Okay I need the masters analisys #2 rod bearing failure & #4 blown HG failure