Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Are the LR Super 53 owners out there running oil restrictors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 AM
Clown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are the LR Super 53 owners out there running oil restrictors?

I was wondering if I need to add an oil restrictor. I am running a Garrett Hybrid TO4e 60 Trim T3 Stage 3 turbo which is equivilant to a Lindsey Racing Super 53 turbo series. I have some smoke issues and the car does smoke on hard acceleration as well.

I bought my turbo used and it did not come with a restrictor. Was wondering if any of your similar turbo came with restrictors either built in to the oil feed line or inside the oil inlet.

If you are running restrictor what size do you run?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2012, 02:30 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First I would verify other things before jumping to the fact that it's the turbo needing a restrictor. Yes, some journal bearings in certain engines do need restrictors. Smoke on full load could be improper drainage, is the factory drain setup correctly with air vent to AOS? Is the AOS vent line correctly connected to the intake pipe pre-turbo (or at least vented to the atmosphere without obstruction)? I assume the smoke started just after this turbo was installed. So I assume then, that the engine doesn't have excessive blow-by and the turbo itself is in good condition. These are all possibilities for smoking.

The restrictor is dependent upon the specific turbocharger, journal bearing vs. ball bearing, and also what oil pressure the specific engine produces. There can even be variances between journal bearing turbos on what type of oil pressure they require. To obtain that specific information you're going to have to call the company that sells them. However, if you're just looking to get into the ball park and test one out, I would start with a larger sized hole (less restriction) and see if that solves it (you don't want to go overboard restricting and therefore potentially damaging your turbo due to lack of oil). I think the larger restrictors start at about .125", from what I've seen, and run as small as .065" for journal bearing turbos. Ball bearing turbos require even less and need around a .030" restrictor.

Forced performance has an inline pre-turbo oil filter with built in restrictor you can purchase and make your own AN lines for it here:

http://store.forcedperformance.net/m...e=Acc-OilLines

Or just a restrictor with NPT:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...de=ATP-OIL-022

I'm sure you can search around to find more available options. I've installed the FP inline filter for Garrett BB with good results. It does take time to assemble those bastard -4 AN lines, though.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 AM
racerxrick
Rennlist Member

I don't recall one being suggested or sent with the kit when i purchased my 53 from LR?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Clown
Instructor

Thanks guys. I have been having intermittent smoke problems. I am trying to track down the source.

I bought this car in peices and put it all together and modified it at the same time so not sure what is causing the smoke. This is the second time this turbo has been rebuilt in 8 months. The smoke effects and symptoms seem to change every time I put the turbo back on after a rebuild. I just wanted to know if you Garrett Hybrid guys were using restrictors or not because I am running it wide open right now and I have pretty good oil pressure.

I have checked the oil lines running to and from the turbo to the AOS and none of them are clogged.

I have also recently pulled my cylinder head and had it rebuilt. The rebuilder said that 2 exhaust guides and 1 intake guides were out of round. All of the seals were rock hard, and 3 of them had slid off the valve guides and were riding on the valve stem. So I think that the head may have something to do with my smoke problem. After the car warms and then sits for a few minutes, upon restart there is heavy smoke coming out for a few minutes until it burns off. So I think that oil may have been seeping into the cylinders while the car sits warm.....

DDP: I was asking this question now because with the head off I have easy access to the turbo so was thinking about adding a restrictor while the getting was good vs. taking it off again in a few weeks. I may try a large restrictor and thanks for the links!

I had a friend follow me as well and he noted upon hard acceleration that smoke does come out the tail pipe some of the time, which has lead me to beleive that the oil pressure is too much for the turbo seals.

Thanks for you help guys....I would also like to hear from other owners.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:24 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No restrictor, no smoke. My smoke went away when the rebuilt 26/6 twisted it's shaft. Still running the LR catch can with no AOS to intake vacuum either.

The motor is seized now, but I believe that problem to be unrelated to turbo oil smoke .

Quick Reply: Are the LR Super 53 owners out there running oil restrictors?