Club race, 951 brake parts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Club race, 951 brake parts...

Hi all, this is a two part question i guess, for a 87' 951...

i) for those who club race, whats the biggest calipers and rotors that you can put on to remain in stock class?

ii) what are the biggest calipers and rotors, using parts from other porsches, that would fit a 87' 951?

thanks much!
Old 05-22-2012, 02:23 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts

I assume you're asking about PCA club racing.
I can't answer the 2nd question, but to remain legal in a stock class you have to use the factory calipers offered on that year of car. Rotors and pads are free (meaning you can use anything you want). Larger calipers will bump you into Prepared.

I strongly suggest downloading the PCA rules from the club racing website and reading them carefully as you prepare your car.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:29 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thx for the response Jerome. I have carefully read the PCA club racing rules. I guess my question should have been - the calipers and rotors that came on the 87' 951 are the biggest offered for that year and model? I guess I can cross-drill them for better cooling...
Old 05-22-2012, 02:37 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by bullbear
Thx for the response Jerome. I have carefully read the PCA club racing rules. I guess my question should have been - the calipers and rotors that came on the 87' 951 are the biggest offered for that year and model? I guess I can cross-drill them for better cooling...
Cross drilling won't do that much for you. You will want to duct them though in order to redirect cooler air on to rotor. The brakes are more than sufficient for stock horse power requirements. Get some decent racing pads like Paige or PFC. You will also want to change your brake fluid out to something like Motul 600 or some other high temp brake fluid.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:07 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

The stock calipers on an 87 Turbo are the only calipers legal for stock E class 951. There were no factory brake upgrade options available for the standard 951.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
The stock calipers on an 87 Turbo are the only calipers legal for stock E class 951. There were no factory brake upgrade options available for the standard 951.
thx Jim. So its change them and risk moving up a class or two...

On that note, do you know what the factory specs are for the F/R calipers and rotors? I cant seem to find it...

Do you guys just do custom ducting to cool the brakes or is there some porsche part that helps cooling?

thx much all you experienced club racers!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

thx Jim. So its change them and risk moving up a class or two...

On that note, do you know what the factory specs are for the F/R calipers and rotors? I cant seem to find it...

Do you guys just do custom ducting to cool the brakes or is there some porsche part that helps cooling?

thx much all you experienced club racers!
Specs = what? Part numbers? Dimensions of the rotors? Caliper piston sizes? Or what specs are you looking for?

Either cool brake kit ducting or 968 upper and lower scoops. I prefer the 968 scoops as they are a cleaner install, lower maintenance and don't get in the way of oil coolers/lines and other junk around the wheel wells.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 PM
bullbear
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oddjob
Specs = what? Part numbers? Dimensions of the rotors? Caliper piston sizes? Or what specs are you looking for?

Either cool brake kit ducting or 968 upper and lower scoops. I prefer the 968 scoops as they are a cleaner install, lower maintenance and don't get in the way of oil coolers/lines and other junk around the wheel wells.
Thx for the 968 tip Jim! Will look into that. Unless you already have the part numbers handy...

As for specs, I would like to know all of those mentioned if possible.

Thx much in adance.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:54 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the simple answer is to brake less and go faster...

I'd recommend you stay away from cross drilled rotors, I find those develop cracks quicker than solid or slotted.

As Sir Jackie says, "Be early and gentle with the brakes"
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm Club Racing an '87 951. Bumped it up to SP3 from stock. The stock calipers are still adequate. I'm using Hawk DTC60's up front and Blues in the rear. I have a set of Turbo S calipers that I tried but the right calipers keeps sticking, locking up the wheel on hard braking. I've rebuilt it twice (new seals) and it still does it. The stock calipers are fine, so I'm assuming it's the S caliper that's the problem. Any advice beyond new seals?
Old 05-22-2012, 10:06 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

Possibly you have a damaged piston - It might have a burr or be out-of-round.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Thx for the 968 tip Jim! Will look into that. Unless you already have the part numbers handy...
Do a search on this forum (951 board) for "968 brake scoops" and there will be several threads that show the parts, install and part numbers. If you dont have 968 control arms, you will need to fab a bracket to hang the lower scoop off the sway bar drop link.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:43 AM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944hal
I'm Club Racing an '87 951. Bumped it up to SP3 from stock. The stock calipers are still adequate. I'm using Hawk DTC60's up front and Blues in the rear. I have a set of Turbo S calipers that I tried but the right calipers keeps sticking, locking up the wheel on hard braking. I've rebuilt it twice (new seals) and it still does it. The stock calipers are fine, so I'm assuming it's the S caliper that's the problem. Any advice beyond new seals?

Certainly will be more prone to lock-up w/ the larger calipers.

Were you seeing uneven pad wear in that caliper? Car pull hard to that side when driving straight?

Possible that the side locking up is the one working correctly, and the other side is not generating equal braking power (problem w/ the other caliper).
Old 05-23-2012, 05:09 PM
MarkRobinson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bedded my race car setup on my 951S: ran great, no odd lock-ups.
355mm RB on a custom Brembo hat, stock S4 calipers with seated pads.
Attached Images  
Old 05-24-2012, 06:19 PM
944hal
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I measured the pistons and checked for burrs, seems OK. Coming in off the track, when the brakes are hot, you can hardly turn the right front wheel. The left front has drag, but turns. So I'm thinking the left side is OK. Car does pull to the right when trying to drive straight. Pad wear is pretty even. I agree bigger calipers would be more prone to locking up but these are uneven right to left.

Quick Reply: Club race, 951 brake parts...