Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Will not pass emissions - (Critical!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point .The think that is interesting is that the closed loop can still maintain 14.7/1 but boost drop below 10/1. If I set my AFR at 10 under boost by adjusting the %fuel across all RPM/load ranges, I would not be able to get the closed loop to go to 15/1.

The altitude switch should pull fuel when it activates (shorted) at 1000m so it should be on at 8000ft. Where is DA?? Denver
Old 05-26-2012, 11:53 AM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Denver area. It gets to 10,000 ft regularly

I bet the altitude switch isn't really working. Also I doubt it's designed for this high either, along with the added excessively rich chip design. There may be something else wrong, but the chips are the first thing I'd address

Edit; lol. Density Altitude or DA. Denver area also aplies.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:08 PM
porschaholic
4th Gear

Had the same problem here in CA. Didn't pass smog because the car was running to rich. I did two things to clean it up.

1. Pulled the APE chips and installed the stock chips.
2. Fixed a vacuum/boost leak in the line that runs to front of the fuel rail.

Passed easily after that. Be sure to warm the car up good before going the smog station and don't let it set for too long before they perform the test.

Good luck
Old 05-26-2012, 01:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Another thing worth checking is to make sure you have a 2.5 Bar fuel pressure regulator. Some APE chips came with a 3 Bar regulator.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

Default Yeah! It Passed!!! (but failed)

Thx to all that provided advice on this. I did finally swap in the stock chips, set the FAQS on position #2 and hard wired the altitude sensor (jumped/closed the circuit) and the BoostBuggy passed CO emissions easily! And FIWIW, I don't really notice a difference/decline in performance. It will be interesting to see how/if my fuel mileage changes with the stock chips and things leaned out.

However I still failed to pass. Turns out they couldn't read the numbers on my aftermarket Cat. Same cat that been on the car since I purchased it. Same cat that has been through emissions a total of 5 times (4x in the last 3 months) and this is the first time anyone has said anything about it.

After doing the research i.e. calling the shop that installed the cat, calling MagnaFlow (cat mfg) calling the state and calling a few more, it's clear to me that no one really knows what the F is the deal on this. There is so much mis/contra information it's diffiuclt to figure out exactly what one needs to get through this. I did finally get this out of one person: I need to show the invoice (or copy of) that show the cat mfg, model #, install shop, etc. to the emissions folks and go through emissions AGAIN (5th x) and if it meets all the numbers again, I will pass emissions and be able to get new tags.

What a journey/learning experience......

Michael
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go to a different place. Some places are just aholes. Here in boulder we send people to Longmont for these very reasons
Old 06-11-2012, 05:33 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

I think it's covered now. The MagnaFlo Cat was installed by Hanksville Hot Rods and Hank will give me a copy of the invoice tomorrow. At this point that's all I need to pass. Like I said the numbers passed by a good margin with the stock chips and altitude sensor jumped so I can't imagine that will change in 24-36hrs.

And I don't reallyl want to spend half a day driving to different locations. It's a big enough PITA already without adding additional miles/fuel/time to the project. By this time next year I'll have the Rogue hardware/software installed (or a different car!) so I should have to deal with this level of B.S. again anytime soon.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:40 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 514 Likes on 345 Posts

I get to take my LS1 swapped 951 through Colorado emissions this month and I'm not looking forward to it. I got the timing of my emissions test screwed up in my head, my plan was to cruise past a bunch of the mobile testing vans several months beforehand so I hopefully wouldn't have to bring the car in.

Now I have to put the cats back in it, take it to the emissions place and see if I find a guy dumb enough to not realize it doesn't have the stock motor in it and test it as an '89 951. If not, I have to take it to a referree, who checks to make sure I have all the LS1 emissions gear on the car, then take it back to get it smogged as a '02 Camaro SS. Ugh. Not looking forward to this at all.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:42 AM
BoostBuggy
Pro

And I thought I had it bad.... ;-) Good luck on that Josh.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

The car should pass without a problem and I do have all the emissions stuff from the camaro on it, so if push comes to shove I should be ok. It's just going to be a pita to deal with and there is the possibility of not passing or getting a referee that gets nutty over the charcoal canister/fuel evap setup or something...
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
BoostBuggy
Pro

FINALLY!.... (big sigh) The car passed everything including the aftermarket cat issue. That said, the level of incompetence is utterly astounding. First they fail it due to an aftermarket cat, then I come back with the documentation for the cat and it fails because I didn't warm it up enoughbut the cat passes based on the docs (they even make a copy of the cat docs) and then this morning, they want to fail it again due to the aftermarket cat and when I show the cat docs the tech has no clue and just keeps saying the car will fail for not having the correct cat. Finally get a manager involved and all proceeds somewhat smoothly and the car passes. Whew!.... what an ordeal.

So now off to DMV to get my tags. YEAH!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Since when does CO look at the number on the cat? I thought only CA did that?

What a PITA.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Man I'm totally screwed if I have to bring documents for my cats. I think they're magnaflows but I have no idea. Another guy on the audi boards failed, then they gave him crap telling him his aftermarket cat was hollow.

Without taking it off, how the F can you say it's hollow?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I'll never understand why they care about anything as long as you pass on the numbers. I realize the law says you have to have a cat but if you have one mounted (or honestly, what looks like one) and you blow good numbers what difference does it make? Makes me think they're not really all that confident in the numbers they're documenting...

Doc, may the Force be with you!
Old 06-14-2012, 08:33 PM
m73m95
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gregeast
I'll never understand why they care about anything as long as you pass on the numbers. I realize the law says you have to have a cat but if you have one mounted (or honestly, what looks like one) and you blow good numbers what difference does it make? Makes me think they're not really all that confident in the numbers they're documenting...
+1

You give parameters. I either meet those parameters, so I don't. What's the problem here?

Quick Reply: Will not pass emissions - (Critical!!!)