Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

"Jiggle the connectors" solved...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 11:44 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

There isn't much to a connector. It's literally some tiny pins, some wire, and a plastic housing. Made in China or not, I doubt it's the connector's fault - frankly it's pretty hard to screw up. Besides you're not actually jiggling the connectors, are you? (On my car, I move the wires around... the connectors themselves are mounted to that bracket and don't move.)

My guess is that it has to do with electronic interference. Maybe the BMW sensors aren't shielded as well or something?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:09 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do actually jiggle the connectors.the room for error in connector design is to ensure they mate solidly and repeatably, particularly where the little spring clip is concerned.

Given that all of my connectors are in good nick and they are all mounted to the bracket with the appropriate clip, it seems that the connectors are not mounting solidly. I've even gooped em up with dielectric grease; didn't seem to do much.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

So I could see Chinese knockoff Bosch connectors not mating quite as well as the real deal.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

dielectric grease those bad boys in.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a new LR harness and new BMW sensors and still have to wiggle the joint every once in a while. Maybe every 15-20 starts. I used the extra length in the leads to mount them higher up an easy to reach. It almost never happens at the first start of the day, mostly after a short drive. Not a major headache but would require a training session if I ever loaned the car to someone.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:17 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think those of you (us?) who still have this problem after changing the harness and sensors, is to be more methodical in testing (I have not had a problem since changing the sensors, after the harness).

Pick ONE sensor and wiggle it. Did it start? How about the other? Starts now? Next time, do JUST the other sensor... Is it one vs the other...

If it is, swap the sensors. Did the problem follow the sensor ? Etc.
Old 07-31-2012, 04:33 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben951S
I think those of you (us?) who still have this problem after changing the harness and sensors, is to be more methodical in testing (I have not had a problem since changing the sensors, after the harness).

Pick ONE sensor and wiggle it. Did it start? How about the other? Starts now? Next time, do JUST the other sensor... Is it one vs the other...

Hmm yeah I wiggle both when it happens!
Old 08-02-2012, 05:35 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Ben951S

Well yeah. I'd like to think that folks would know that when troubleshooting, but lots of folks jump from 1 to 1a to R.

Quick Reply: "Jiggle the connectors" solved...