what pound springs are you track people running up front

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 04:46 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Sorry to tune in late...

The front motion ratio is 0.91 and the rear is 0.63.

These are calculated by taking very careful measurements - I raised up the wheel exactly 1" and measured exactly how much the shock compressed.

Now, these measurements are probably a little different for early offset cars and cars with steel rear control arms...
Way to cut to the chase!

Edit: does it matter where in the shock's travel you do that measurement?

Last edited by pontifex4; 05-14-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Question
Old 05-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to start at ride height.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 64 Posts

Yes, start at ride height. And, in fact, since the springs were removed, I started from ride height, then went 1/2 inch compressed, set my zip tie, then went 1/2 inch extended below ride height (for 1" total travel). Then I measured how much of the strut was exposed under the zip tie (for this picture it was 0.911").
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Van
Rennlist Member

Good catch! Damn fat fingers!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:27 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

900 Front, 950 Rear. Light T bars, 3047lb or heavier depending on fuel.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:34 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Oh, just to add to this. There is a particular fast road/track 951 which was put into the hands of a suspension analyst who suggested to go with the 850lb front springs that he should increase the rears to 1200lbs and even 1400lb on certain tighter tracks. I believe it was largely based on matching front and rear spring rate frequency (which as most readers would note doesn’t get much of a mention in these pages). This was not on a race car but as I said, a fast road / track weapon. No aero to speak of and running on R spec rubber.
It will be interesting to see how this progresses.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:23 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robstah

Ideally, you would probably want to run the Bilstein Cups with HIGH spring rates and WITHOUT torsion bars. The H&R RSS kit that comes with 500 front, 800 rear spring says to take out the torsion bars and that running 800lbs rear is perfectly fine with the proper rubber mounts. I'm pretty sure the H&R RSS uses the Bilstein Cup shocks and struts as a starting place.

The misinformation for this topic on here is stunning.
H&R may have changed the spring rates since I bought my kit, but the spring rates on mine are 400 front, 850 rear.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 05-15-2012, 09:13 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Clearly there is a very large range of springs that is being run by us in these cars. Seems almost unbelievable that we're all getting them to perform and go around corners (well some of us ) with such a large variety of springs. Obviously there is a lot more that goes into a suspension setup than the springs themselves and there is scope for tuning with tyres, shocks, sways, aero...

Still, the whole thing is interesting even though it represents a black art to me. Nothing like trial and error backed up by data I guess.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally Posted by Van
Sorry to tune in late...

The front motion ratio is 0.91 and the rear is 0.63.

These are calculated by taking very careful measurements - I raised up the wheel exactly 1" and measured exactly how much the shock compressed.

Now, these measurements are probably a little different for early offset cars and cars with steel rear control arms...

Where did you learn to do it like this? Just curious as I do it a different way. In your set up there is no accounting for leverage. The lower control arm acts as a lever on the spring with the fulcrum being the mounting point at the crossmember. This, depending on the design of the suspension, can have a dramatic effect on spring rate.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 AM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Clearly there is a very large range of springs that is being run by us in these cars. Seems almost unbelievable that we're all getting them to perform and go around corners (well some of us ) with such a large variety of springs. Obviously there is a lot more that goes into a suspension setup than the springs themselves and there is scope for tuning with tyres, shocks, sways, aero...

Still, the whole thing is interesting even though it represents a black art to me. Nothing like trial and error backed up by data I guess.
See Patrick, it doesn't have to be all trial and error, which is why I've been so keen on getting somewhere with my model...

Actually crunching the numbers is relatively straightforward when you look at either one axle or the other. However tying the front and rear together all of a sudden becomes a multi-variable matrix calculus problem (I think it's a 4x4? Can't remember at the moment)...meaning it's something my puny Excel model can't handle. Fortunately I have access to Matlab!

And you're totally right -- how cool would it be for us to enter in a few choice geometry measurements, plus the alignment, spring/shock, and wheel/tire data for the car, and be presented with force numbers and see the changes in geometry over B + C. My current version is about 50% done with the front suspension; it's a bit rudimentary, in that it uses stepwise simulation to represent dynamic loading, given that all measurements/specs are based off of static figures. Should be close enough to get good approximations for things though, especially as a prototype model.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
Where did you learn to do it like this? Just curious as I do it a different way. In your set up there is no accounting for leverage. The lower control arm acts as a lever on the spring with the fulcrum being the mounting point at the crossmember. This, depending on the design of the suspension, can have a dramatic effect on spring rate.
I don't follow, Chris. Of course it's accounting for leverage - if the wheel goes up 1.00" and the fulcrum (pivot at the cross member) goes up 0.00", then a spot 3/4 away from the fulcrum will go up 0.75". That is the "motion ratio" - the relative ratio of motion. It's better to measure motion ratio rather than calculate it because the strut (spring) does not act perpendicular to the control arm. As the spring angles away, less of its force is applied in the downward direction.

Once you have the motion ratio, you use the formula for wheel rate which is: spring rate * (motion ratio)^2

The motion ratio is squared because it has two effects on wheel rate - both the force and the distance traveled.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I didn't say you were wrong I said I did it differently.

I have another question. In your post above you stated you started at ride height and lowered the jack 1/2" and then raised it 1" or 1/2" above ride height. Why did you not measure 1" of compression and 1" of droop?

Springs are rated in lb/in of compression which you use in your calculation but you are only working the MR to .5". The other .5" being droop.

I think your MR number is invalid as written.

Thanks. Good convo.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Nevermind. I read something wrong. More coffee........
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

I used 1 inch of total travel to make the math easier. If I'd used 2 inches, I'd have had to divide my strut measurement by two - and, with stiff track springs, I think 2" of suspension travel isn't very realistic.

Someone made the point earlier about suspension frequencies - and that's all very important and valid. It's been a while since I've ready my racing books, but I seem to recall that non-aero race cars are usually in the 2-4 Hz range. An F1 car is 10 Hz and Grandpa's Cadillac is about 0.5 Hz.

I see in my 944 setup spreadsheet that I'm using: 187.8 * (sqrt (wheel rate / sprung weight)) to calculate frequency at each corner in Cycles per Minute - then divide by 60 to get Hz (cycles per second).
Old 05-15-2012, 11:08 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

650 springs on all four corners with T-bars deleted (Leda coilovers with appropriate valving). 275/40-17's on all four corners. M030 bars front and back. Camber is -3.5 front, -2.25 rear. I've been playing more with corner balancing and adding weight so that I can add power and stay in class. Left/right balance is now 50/50, front/rear is 50.3/49.7 and cross weight is within 0.1.

I think the car handles exceptionally well. Will have a pro coach in July, so will get his impression on the setup.

Quick Reply: what pound springs are you track people running up front