Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Concours Engine Bay Make-Over

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Concours Engine Bay Make-Over

Last month a few of us in the ATL entered our cars in the PCA Concour and it was a lot of fun. I entered my wife's NA and it was great motivation to really clean and detail the car. I decided to enter the 951 in the next concour in June.

I have been addressing areas that let the car down including the trunk area and the wheel wells in the engine bay (and battery box). As you can see below the wheel wells were in bad shape when I purchased the car. I think the previous owner took a hammer and smacked them as many times as possible I used a lot of touch up paint and cleaned and polished them the best possible but the paint was thin and exposed in some areas. I decided to re-paint them using Guards Red Testors Enamel.

I wet sanded them with 400 grade sand paper then thoroughly cleaned the area. The real trick was all the masking. It took 4 hrs to mask everything on both sides. I could not be any happier with how it turned out.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:25 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are my hero! Very nice. I entered my first Concours event today, and I have the bug to get better as I placed 3rd in Show.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:26 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks great !
Old 05-06-2012, 07:46 PM
tman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice!
Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BradS(IN)
You are my hero! Very nice. I entered my first Concours event today, and I have the bug to get better as I placed 3rd in Show.
Thanks and congrats on placing . You will be hooked now for sure.

Originally Posted by David Floyd
Looks great !
Thanks David.

Originally Posted by tman
Nice!
Thanks
Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i thought its suppose to be as original as possible.
Nice work though!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

My car has some kind of rubber/glue/sealant under the paint in that area. Did you have that and if so, how'd you get rid of it? Looks great!! Testors has spray cans -- who knew?
Old 05-07-2012, 12:20 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
i thought its suppose to be as original as possible.
Nice work though!
"Original" was a bridge crossed quite some time ago.

No, really more about fit, finish, and cleanliness.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
My car has some kind of rubber/glue/sealant under the paint in that area. Did you have that and if so, how'd you get rid of it?
Ya, my car had the sealant also, I did not touch it except sanded the surface the best possible to promote adhesion. Painted over it just as they did at the factory.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:54 AM
pettybird
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

amazing results for those little cans! nice work!
Old 05-07-2012, 03:18 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha, I was scrubbing on one tonight (engine out) and it doesn't look near as nice as that. Best most-motivating post of the weekend....Bruce
Old 12-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

So after a year and a half, how is this paint holding up - especially over that sealant goo area outlined below? Mine keeps looking worse, so am getting more and more tempted to try this. Still recommend it? Did you sand the original paint off the sealant stuff, or just rough it up with sand paper? Did you use primer or spray right over the old paint/primer?
Attached Images  
Old 12-15-2013, 05:11 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
So after a year and a half, how is this paint holding up - especially over that sealant goo area outlined below? Mine keeps looking worse, so am getting more and more tempted to try this. Still recommend it? Did you sand the original paint off the sealant stuff, or just rough it up with sand paper? Did you use primer or spray right over the old paint/primer?
Very light sand (wet 400). No primer. Mine held up well except over the "goop" area you show where it never really completely dried. In time it picked up dirt. The Testors is enamel and it takes a LONG time to dry (days). The Testors also cost me at a concours as I used it in the spare tire well a day before and an inspector felt something sticky and docked me. I re-did those areas with a much better paint that dries quickly.

Krylon 2328 Red Pepper/Saftey Red Gloss. Very close match and I have used it in several areas with great success.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:22 PM
JBrown
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow looks amazing. im in the process of doing my engine bay. motor is removed. cleaning it up as we speak they make the white the 951 came in think its alpine white ?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by refresh951
Very light sand (wet 400). No primer. Mine held up well except over the "goop" area you show where it never really completely dried. In time it picked up dirt. The Testors is enamel and it takes a LONG time to dry (days). The Testors also cost me at a concours as I used it in the spare tire well a day before and an inspector felt something sticky and docked me. I re-did those areas with a much better paint that dries quickly.

Krylon 2328 Red Pepper/Saftey Red Gloss. Very close match and I have used it in several areas with great success.
Thanks, I discovered the Krylon myself a while back and was surprised how close it was. You described the exact problem I've had painting over the sealant -- it collects dirt and turns dark. Have you tried the Krylon over the sealant?

Quick Reply: Concours Engine Bay Make-Over