Bottom X-Pipe Flange Bolt - Any Tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Player0
By the way, I'm removing the turbo so that I can get to the AOS and seal some oil leaks. I retorqued the cam tower cover and have replaced the cork rear cam housing seal which I think was leaking pretty bad as well. Also the dip stick tube seal was gone.

Are there any other common oil leak areas I can reseal while I'm in here? Or any other maintenance I can do while the turbo is off?

I did the vacuum lines/ICV last year. Doing the coolant lines now too. Just want to chase down any 27 year old seal I can find and replace it.
Back seal on the balance shaft tends to leak. If you don't want to remove the shaft to get at the seal, at a min I would run some RTV over the outside of the seal to keep it from both leaking and moving.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:29 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Player0
By the way, I'm removing the turbo so that I can get to the AOS and seal some oil leaks. I retorqued the cam tower cover and have replaced the cork rear cam housing seal which I think was leaking pretty bad as well. Also the dip stick tube seal was gone.

Are there any other common oil leak areas I can reseal while I'm in here? Or any other maintenance I can do while the turbo is off?

I did the vacuum lines/ICV last year. Doing the coolant lines now too. Just want to chase down any 27 year old seal I can find and replace it.
I'm getting ready to do the same thing.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:27 PM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might as well get the seal above and below the turbo. Cheap insurance, I think the bottom one is like $8 from Paragon. Also, take a peek at that AOS elbow. And on your, missing dipstick seal, better figure out if your year had the spacer cuz if its missing, its gonna leak.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Bruce

PS...
I would run some RTV over the outside of the seal to keep...
Man, I've cut a few corners but not sure I'm with you on that one Brian.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

It isn't the best way but it works. You have to pull the shaft cover to get to the back seal. It just has a o ring on it (part 17,18) and will loosen up over time and I have seen them move around in the socket. A little RTV and no more movement or leak. It held until I pulled the engine for a rebuild. It is a real pain to pull a balance shaft cover with the engine in the car.
Attached Images    

Last edited by Bri Bro; 05-02-2012 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:13 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no idea where the rear balance shaft really is, but I've read several success stories with the RTV approach. For all I know, I'm leaking from there. I have oil pouring down the back and while I'm pretty sure the rear cam seal was leaking (old cork, very loose bolts), I'm not entirely sure if that's the only spot.

Since I'm assuming I can probably reach this thing when I'm removing these parts, and I really have no intention on actually FIXING that leak the correct way anytime soon, I don't suppose it would do any harm to put some extraneous silicone around there.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:27 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have an engine on a stand so here are a couple of pictures. It is a plug with an O ring on it and as it flattens over time, it moves and leaks. Just put the RTV around the edges of the plug and it will not hardly be seen but it will stop the leaks. You can see the turbo oil feed in the first picture, the second picture is the balance shaft on the other side of the engine. Use some brake cleaner and a brush to clean it up.
Attached Images   
Old 05-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh it's way up there, but I know right where that is. Yeah, it's a great time to reach it.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Bottom X-Pipe Flange Bolt - Any Tips